Обсуждение: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
PostgreSQL folks!

We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
time to design something new.

What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
friends.

Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

Thanks,

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a new
> design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue elephants,
> frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's time to design
> something new.

Maybe this is a silly thing to say, but no more frosted glass cups,
please. They tended to quickly stain when I drank tea from them, in a
way that was particularly hard to clean. The black psql cups, on the
other hand, are generally really nice to drink from.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Eduardo Morras
Дата:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:08:52 +0200
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
> friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

A big yellow elephant? Perhaps with a nice smile?.... Oh it's already taken ;)

> Thanks,

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 04/09/13 22:47, Eduardo Morras wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:08:52 +0200
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

PostgreSQL folks!

We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
time to design something new.

What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
friends.

Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.
A big yellow elephant? Perhaps with a nice smile?.... Oh it's already taken ;)

Thanks,
---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

A big elephant, and 2 smaller elephants.
A big elephant, and lots of increasingly smaller elephants.
A Mummy & Daddy elephants, with baby elephants.

To represent that PostgreSQL now replicates?

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On 09/04/2013 10:17 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 09/04/2013 10:13 PM, Marc Balmer wrote:

>>> A big elephant, and 2 smaller elephants.
>>> A big elephant, and lots of increasingly smaller elephants.
>>> A Mummy & Daddy elephants, with baby elephants.
>>>
>>> To represent that PostgreSQL now replicates?
>>
>> If it represents that PostgreSQL replicates, the elephants must be of
>> the same size.  We don't loose any data.
>>
>> But I like the idea.  With replication as the motto, we can sell two
>> mugs instead of one...
>
> well - these days we can actually do cascading replication. which opens
> up even more possibilities..

So it needs a design which combines more than one mug into some kind of
artwork? That would be awesome - who can design this?

And for the family of elephants - how can we make sure it's not similar
to what we used before?

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
On 9/4/13, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
> On 09/04/2013 10:17 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> If it represents that PostgreSQL replicates, the elephants must be of
>>> the same size.  We don't loose any data.
>>>
>>> But I like the idea.  With replication as the motto, we can sell two
>>> mugs instead of one...
>>
>> well - these days we can actually do cascading replication. which opens
>> up even more possibilities..
>
> So it needs a design which combines more than one mug into some kind of
> artwork? That would be awesome - who can design this?
>

> And for the family of elephants - how can we make sure it's not similar
> to what we used before?

someone beat you to it:
http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6099703/il_570xN.280457416.jpg

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
"Erik Rijkers"
Дата:
On Wed, September 4, 2013 22:26, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send

http://imgur.com/eMyw6

Not really new (nor my own) but I think it could work well on a black mug.

Erik Rijkers

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On 09/04/2013 10:55 PM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> On Wed, September 4, 2013 22:26, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
>

> http://imgur.com/eMyw6
>

> Not really new (nor my own) but I think it could work well on a black mug.

I think we are grown up and no longer have to bash other databases.

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 05/09/13 08:40, patrick keshishian wrote:
[...]

I would envision mugs all the same size

How about a stylized elephant shaped mug? I was inspired by the Toby Jug my maternal grandmother had in England (see http://www.tobyjug.collecting.org.uk)

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
John Meyer
Дата:
On 9/4/2013 2:59 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On 09/04/2013 10:55 PM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
>> On Wed, September 4, 2013 22:26, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>>> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
>>

>> http://imgur.com/eMyw6
>>

>> Not really new (nor my own) but I think it could work well on a black
>> mug.
>
> I think we are grown up and no longer have to bash other databases.

That, is, of course, unless we are on a nix command line interface ;-)

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Richard Sickler
Дата:
How about an elephant flying around Earth.
Caption:  PostgreSQL - Used all around the World

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
[...]

John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/3/2013 3:08 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
> friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

ages ago, a former employer had some neat mugs made that had a thermal
sensitive layer that disappeared when it was hot (as in filled with
coffee) and revealed something underneath.    I'm not quite sure what
the postgres community might do with this, maybe a elephant logo that
fades out and reveals "PostgreSQL" or something underneath?

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 09/04/2013 02:04 PM, Richard Sickler wrote:
> How about an elephant flying around Earth.
> Caption:  PostgreSQL - Used all around the World

I can hear the Disney lawyers cranking up the legal machinery as we speak:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Jean-Paul Argudo
Дата:
Hi there,

Le mercredi 04 septembre 2013 à 14:04 -0700, Richard Sickler a écrit :
> How about an elephant flying around Earth.
> Caption:  PostgreSQL - Used all around the World

Why not, but I has to be at least at an orbital altitude, since
PostgreSQL is also used by some space companies, and one at least told
about it publicly [1]. :-)

Cheers,

Links:
[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E0A4DA8CB358A94E860A1C604DCE0482B297999DD7@NDJSSCC01.ndc.nasa.gov

--
Jean-Paul Argudo

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for
embedded systems"

- Heikki

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Atri Sharma
Дата:
Make an elephant in a space suit, or with lots of equipments. Text:
'Ready for mission critical systems'

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for embedded
> systems"
>
> - Heikki
>

> --

Regards,

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Jean-Paul Argudo
Дата:
Hi,

Le jeudi 05 septembre 2013 à 12:33 +0530, Atri Sharma a écrit :
> Make an elephant in a space suit, or with lots of equipments. Text:
> 'Ready for mission critical systems'

Despite I like this idea a lot, I think we should avoid messages like
"Ready for.." or such, since it implies PG wasn't ready before, wich is
mostly false in all the cases.

I think we'd better focus on what we're good at, like community
management, quality of code, respect of the standard, and such... or why
not just jokes, since I think we could just make this simple and funny..
(I don't really think we have anything to proove anymore since facts
talk for us).

This could lead to positive messages like (just samples I tought about,
and mostly to be rebranded completely!!):

Focusing what we know best:

* Community driven makes it just better
* Our code matters more than their commercials (~Debian I know)
* We are a few thousand only reviewing and testing it
* Unbreakable Open-Source Community (if you know what I mean there)
* etc..

Funnier messages:

* My spouse told me to use it, I swear
* PostgreSQL, saves money all around the world
* """"""""""""""""" time  """"""""""""""""""""
* One rdbms to rule them all
* Vulcains would use it
* etc..

:-)

Cheers,

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> > Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for embedded
> > systems"
> >
> > - Heikki
> >

> > --

Jean-Paul

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Atri Sharma
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jean-Paul Argudo
<jean-paul@postgresql.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeudi 05 septembre 2013 à 12:33 +0530, Atri Sharma a écrit :
>> Make an elephant in a space suit, or with lots of equipments. Text:
>> 'Ready for mission critical systems'
>
> Despite I like this idea a lot, I think we should avoid messages like
> "Ready for.." or such, since it implies PG wasn't ready before, wich is
> mostly false in all the cases.
>
> I think we'd better focus on what we're good at, like community
> management, quality of code, respect of the standard, and such... or why
> not just jokes, since I think we could just make this simple and funny..
> (I don't really think we have anything to proove anymore since facts
> talk for us).
>
> This could lead to positive messages like (just samples I tought about,
> and mostly to be rebranded completely!!):
>
> Focusing what we know best:
>
> * Community driven makes it just better
> * Our code matters more than their commercials (~Debian I know)
> * We are a few thousand only reviewing and testing it
> * Unbreakable Open-Source Community (if you know what I mean there)
> * etc..
>
> Funnier messages:
>
> * My spouse told me to use it, I swear
> * PostgreSQL, saves money all around the world
> * """"""""""""""""" time  """"""""""""""""""""
> * One rdbms to rule them all
> * Vulcains would use it
> * etc..
>
> :-)
>
> Cheers,
>

>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> > Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for embedded
>> > systems"
>> >
>> > - Heikki
>> >

>> > --
>>

> --
> Jean-Paul

Good one.

One thing we could do, remove the 'Ready' and only keep 'For mission...'.

Other thing is a lot of elephants sitting around a table with
laptops(optional) denoting our community. Or a lot of elephant heads
clustered together and smiling. An awesome community is something we
all are proud of!

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
What about "Don't ignore the elephant in the room"?

On 5 September 2013 09:24, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jean-Paul Argudo
<jean-paul@postgresql.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeudi 05 septembre 2013 à 12:33 +0530, Atri Sharma a écrit :
>> Make an elephant in a space suit, or with lots of equipments. Text:
>> 'Ready for mission critical systems'
>
> Despite I like this idea a lot, I think we should avoid messages like
> "Ready for.." or such, since it implies PG wasn't ready before, wich is
> mostly false in all the cases.
>
> I think we'd better focus on what we're good at, like community
> management, quality of code, respect of the standard, and such... or why
> not just jokes, since I think we could just make this simple and funny..
> (I don't really think we have anything to proove anymore since facts
> talk for us).
>
> This could lead to positive messages like (just samples I tought about,
> and mostly to be rebranded completely!!):
>
> Focusing what we know best:
>
> * Community driven makes it just better
> * Our code matters more than their commercials (~Debian I know)
> * We are a few thousand only reviewing and testing it
> * Unbreakable Open-Source Community (if you know what I mean there)
> * etc..
>
> Funnier messages:
>
> * My spouse told me to use it, I swear
> * PostgreSQL, saves money all around the world
> * """"""""""""""""" time  """"""""""""""""""""
> * One rdbms to rule them all
> * Vulcains would use it
> * etc..
>
> :-)
>
> Cheers,
>

>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> > Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for embedded
>> > systems"
>> >
>> > - Heikki
>> >

>> > --
>>

> --
> Jean-Paul

Good one.

One thing we could do, remove the 'Ready' and only keep 'For mission...'.

Other thing is a lot of elephants sitting around a table with
laptops(optional) denoting our community. Or a lot of elephant heads
clustered together and smiling. An awesome community is something we
all are proud of!

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Atri Sharma

Sent from my iPad

On 05-Sep-2013, at 13:28, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:

What about "Don't ignore the elephant in the room"?

On 5 September 2013 09:24, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jean-Paul Argudo
<jean-paul@postgresql.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeudi 05 septembre 2013 à 12:33 +0530, Atri Sharma a écrit :
>> Make an elephant in a space suit, or with lots of equipments. Text:
>> 'Ready for mission critical systems'
>
> Despite I like this idea a lot, I think we should avoid messages like
> "Ready for.." or such, since it implies PG wasn't ready before, wich is
> mostly false in all the cases.
>
> I think we'd better focus on what we're good at, like community
> management, quality of code, respect of the standard, and such... or why
> not just jokes, since I think we could just make this simple and funny..
> (I don't really think we have anything to proove anymore since facts
> talk for us).
>
> This could lead to positive messages like (just samples I tought about,
> and mostly to be rebranded completely!!):
>
> Focusing what we know best:
>
> * Community driven makes it just better
> * Our code matters more than their commercials (~Debian I know)
> * We are a few thousand only reviewing and testing it
> * Unbreakable Open-Source Community (if you know what I mean there)
> * etc..
>
> Funnier messages:
>
> * My spouse told me to use it, I swear
> * PostgreSQL, saves money all around the world
> * """"""""""""""""" time  """"""""""""""""""""
> * One rdbms to rule them all
> * Vulcains would use it
> * etc..
>
> :-)
>
> Cheers,
>

>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> > Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for embedded
>> > systems"
>> >
>> > - Heikki
>> >

>> > --
>>

> --
> Jean-Paul

Good one.

One thing we could do, remove the 'Ready' and only keep 'For mission...'.

Other thing is a lot of elephants sitting around a table with
laptops(optional) denoting our community. Or a lot of elephant heads
clustered together and smiling. An awesome community is something we
all are proud of!

That could be double meaning!

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Marc Balmer
Дата:
Am 05.09.13 09:00, schrieb Heikki Linnakangas:
> Put a small elephant logo *inside* the mug. With a text: "also for
> embedded systems"

For german speaking folks, just a mug with an elephant an the text
"ProstgreSQL".

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a new
> design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue elephants,
> frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's time to design
> something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of the
> next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send an
> email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

I'm still partial to this guy:

http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

merlin

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Vincent Veyron
Дата:
Le mercredi 04 septembre 2013 à 14:10 -0700, John R Pierce a écrit :

> ages ago, a former employer had some neat mugs made that had a thermal
> sensitive layer that disappeared when it was hot (as in filled with
> coffee) and revealed something underneath.    I'm not quite sure what
> the postgres community might do with this, maybe a elephant logo that
> fades out and reveals "PostgreSQL" or something underneath?

I have one of those (Bloomberg used to give some away). They're neat at
first, but the thermal sensitive layer tends to lose its properties and
become permanently transparent after a while; the mug's look is not very
clean after that.

--
Salutations, Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
On 09/05/2013 12:21 AM, Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeudi 05 septembre 2013 à 12:33 +0530, Atri Sharma a écrit :
>> Make an elephant in a space suit, or with lots of equipments. Text:
>> 'Ready for mission critical systems'
> Despite I like this idea a lot, I think we should avoid messages like
> "Ready for.." or such, since it implies PG wasn't ready before, wich is
> mostly false in all the cases.
How about a stampede of elephants. On top it would say "PostgreSQL." and
below simply say "Unstoppable."

Interpretation of the herd is in the eye of the beholder be it
user-base, replication, clustering or community.

Similarly, "unstoppable" can refer to adoption-momentum, reliability, etc.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Marc Balmer
Дата:
ACID. Actually Coffee Inside, Drinkable.

Am 05.09.2013 um 20:49 schrieb Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>:

> org)

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Atri Sharma
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
> ACID. Actually Coffee Inside, Drinkable.
>
> Am 05.09.2013 um 20:49 schrieb Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>:
>
>> org)

Something of the lines of evolution?

A small elephant, growing more powerful?

--
Regards,

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Richard Sickler
Дата:
Okay, how about....

PostgreSQL - The DataBase with 10,000 programmers on your side.

PostgreSQL - You wish the rest of your stuff was this good.

PostgreSQL - <insert quote here> apply many quotes to mug

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
> ACID. Actually Coffee Inside, Drinkable.
>
> Am 05.09.2013 um 20:49 schrieb Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>:
>
>> org)

Something of the lines of evolution?

A small elephant, growing more powerful?

--
Regards,

Atri
l'apprenant

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
Here is an idea, but not sure how well it'll be accepted.

Inside the cup, names of current/active developers/contributors,
represented using tag/keyword cloud[1] form. Using a combination
of code check-in count and importance of check-in, contributions
on mailing lists, other factors to make it fair to dictate size
of names[2].

On the outside of the mug, maybe a simple elephant mascot
accompanying the simple words: "Genius Inside".

--patrick

p.s., This thread is quite distracting as it is fun to read.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud
[2] Of course, with an opt-out option if certain contributors wish
not to have their names printed.

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
CS DBA
Дата:
On 9/3/13 4:08 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
> friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.
>

> Thanks,

How about a PostgreSQL take on the old "vi reference mug"?

(like this one:

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/59954381/vi-reference_mugs?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=577529672&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=sem-cpc-product-ads&utm_content=search-pla)

The new "PostgreSQL Reference Mug" could list several of the most common
commands & options, and tips & tricks...

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still partial to this guy:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

I dislike that image, and always have. Apart from risking alienating
people, I think it sends the wrong message - that we define ourselves
in terms of what others do and don't do. I hope that isn't true, but
if it is I think that MySQL is much less relevant now.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Berend Tober
Дата:
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm still partial to this guy:
>>
>> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>

> I dislike that image, and always have. ...

I agree with Mr. Geoghegan.

That image should be eradicated from the portfolio of PostgreSQL
professionals.

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 07/09/2013 01:34, Berend Tober wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm still partial to this guy:
>>>
>>> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>>

>> I dislike that image, and always have. ...
>
> I agree with Mr. Geoghegan.
>
> That image should be eradicated from the portfolio of PostgreSQL
> professionals.

+1 on this from me too.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 01:34, Berend Tober wrote:
>> Peter Geoghegan wrote:

>>> I dislike that image, and always have. ...
>>
>> I agree with Mr. Geoghegan.
>>
>> That image should be eradicated from the portfolio of PostgreSQL
>> professionals.
>
> +1 on this from me too.
Makes sense to remove it. Postgres should be promoted using only its
strengths, and not comparisons with any other projects or products.
--
Michael

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On 09/04/2013 12:08 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
> friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

So, we discussed a number ideas here on the lists, mainly a new text for
the mugs. But it does not look like we have a winner.

There was also this cheap shot at MySQL, but I think we all agree that
we don't need this kind of design.

This raises the question: do we want

1) a design with a new text on it (some ideas were discussed here)
2) a design with a new graphic

Discuss please.

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
"Erik Rijkers"
Дата:
On Sun, September 8, 2013 15:27, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> So, we discussed a number ideas here on the lists, mainly a new text for
> the mugs. But it does not look like we have a winner.
>
> There was also this cheap shot at MySQL, but I think we all agree that
> we don't need this kind of design.

Clearly we did *not* all agree.. :-)

But here is another old one that I always liked, and would like to see processed onto a mug.  It would need some work,
but
the idea seems excellent:
a large, impressive elephant head, frontal, with the text: "Never Forgets" or "PostgreSQL Never Forgets"

http://www.gsbrown.org/compuserve/all-new-electronic-mail-1982-04/elephant-ad-800.jpg

( Greg S. sent me an .xcf file (2MB) which I could forward if anyone is interested to improving it... )

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 09/09/13 01:27, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
[...]

How about an elephant on the outside and a matching reverse image inside - with the slogan something like 'PostgreSQL solid throughout'.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Bret Stern
Дата:
PostgreSQL - (the worlds database)

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Jayadevan M
Дата:
Hello all,
"Elephants Never Forget" sounds like a good idea. It refers to reliability of the database (from a transaction perspective) and ability to recover "lost data".
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=elephants-never-forget
Regards,
Jayadevan

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On Sun, September 8, 2013 15:27, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> So, we discussed a number ideas here on the lists, mainly a new text for
> the mugs. But it does not look like we have a winner.
>
> There was also this cheap shot at MySQL, but I think we all agree that
> we don't need this kind of design.

Clearly we did *not* all agree.. :-)

But here is another old one that I always liked, and would like to see processed onto a mug.  It would need some work, but
the idea seems excellent:
a large, impressive elephant head, frontal, with the text: "Never Forgets" or "PostgreSQL Never Forgets"

http://www.gsbrown.org/compuserve/all-new-electronic-mail-1982-04/elephant-ad-800.jpg

( Greg S. sent me an .xcf file (2MB) which I could forward if anyone is interested to improving it... )

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Marc Mamin
Дата:
Hi,

"this is not an elephant"
(to fake Magritt)
http://enculturation.gmu.edu/3_2/images/magritte1.jpg

or an elephant breast-feeding its babies to illustrate replication.

but better ask someone else for the painting ;-)

regards,

Marc Mamin

Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
Inside of the mug:

    - runs of 0's and 1's = data
    - neatly aligned or in compartments/boxes/shelved ?

Outside of mug:

    10 elephants

        - each with a headband, carrying one of P-O-S-T-G-R-E-S-Q-L on the forehead
        - cordoning off towards the outsider/onlooker/mug user (mugger ? :-)
          maybe all the way around the mug ?
        - another few doing various "housekeeping" tasks:
            - brooming up bits
            - packaging bits into a box
            - freshly painting bitbuckets
            - indexing/filing (paper) charts
            - ...

Karsten Hilbert
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
How about something incredibly cheesy like

SELECT * FROM Mug;

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
Inside of the mug:

        - runs of 0's and 1's = data
        - neatly aligned or in compartments/boxes/shelved ?

Outside of mug:

        10 elephants

                - each with a headband, carrying one of P-O-S-T-G-R-E-S-Q-L on the forehead
                - cordoning off towards the outsider/onlooker/mug user (mugger ? :-)
                  maybe all the way around the mug ?
                - another few doing various "housekeeping" tasks:
                        - brooming up bits
                        - packaging bits into a box
                        - freshly painting bitbuckets
                        - indexing/filing (paper) charts
                        - ...

Karsten Hilbert
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Quentin Hartman
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> wrote:
How about something incredibly cheesy like

SELECT * FROM Mug;

I dig this. Black mug with this in white on one side, and a postgres logo in white on the other side. I'd buy one...

 One thing I have not seen discussed here is "Who is the audience?" Is this something that is intended to be primarily a promotional tool? If so, then slogans and "we're awesome" things make sense. If it's something for the community to be proud of and have fun with, then little punny things like this are better. Also, I would keep words to a minimum for i18n. Really should just keep it to code, "PostgreSQL". and images.

QH

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Scott Marlowe
A couple ideas:

A system diagram type thing with various app servers / languages, all
connected to a central postgresql server, subtitled "All paths lead to
PostgreSQL"
PostgreSQL: Spend your money on hardware, not license fees.
A timeline for pgsql showing all the major releases and what they
added to the db (MVCC, streaming replication, covering indexes, etc)

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
On 9/3/13, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
> friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

One more idea, which is on the "cute"/lighter side. This idea
can be reversed/is reversible, so you get two ideas i one:

- Outer face of the mug just simple words "PostgreSQL"
  optionally with a URL to official web-site.
- On the inside bottom of the mug face of a cute elephant looking
  at you with a smile.
- On the outside bottom of the mug, the rear end of the elephant
  with tail and all.

You can reverse the bottom images and get a second design, where
the inside bottom of the mug is the rear of the elephant with tail and
all, and the outside bottom of the mug is the smiling elephant :-)

If printing inside the mug is too difficult, cost prohibitive, then stick
with the smiling elephant at the outside bottom of the mug.

This type of a design would be a good ice-breaker/conversation
starter in office meetings, etc.

--patrick

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/9/2013 1:22 PM, patrick keshishian wrote:
> If printing inside the mug is too difficult, cost prohibitive, then stick
> with the smiling elephant at the outside bottom of the mug.

as I rarely see mugs with anything printed on the bottom, I suspect this
too would add significantly to the cost

how about something simple, like ...   one side of mug gets a large
classic postgres elephant head, and the other side gets something like
POSTGRESQL - DATA INTEGRITY BY DESIGN or something to that effect.

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
On 9/9/13, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 9/9/2013 1:22 PM, patrick keshishian wrote:
>> If printing inside the mug is too difficult, cost prohibitive, then stick
>> with the smiling elephant at the outside bottom of the mug.
>

> as I rarely see mugs with anything printed on the bottom, I suspect this
> too would add significantly to the cost

I'm not sure how cost prohibitive it is to print on the inside
or bottom of mugs, as I have not had a need to shop around
for such thing.

The reason you rarely see mugs with stuff printed in the bottom
is due to the fact, printing on the bottom of mugs is a more subtle
"promotion" tactic. Otherwise, the manufacturer of the mug typically
prints its logo/mark at the bottom of mugs. So this is far more
common than you would think.

Here is an example on amazon. 4th picture for this item:
http://www.amazon.com/Mustache-Printing-Funny-Dishwasher-Microwave/dp/B009FBLLHG

Printing inside mugs is also common, I actually own at least one
mug with printed words/design inside the mug. And I got it from
Hawaii (a Hawaiian mug actually), and it was relatively inexpensive.
I don't recall paying more than $5 or $6 (USD) for it.

Cheers,
--patrick

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Basil Bourque
Дата:
Other folks posted much more clever and original ideas than mine here. But for a mug I would actually enjoy seeing on my desk daily…

--> Lift the rounded-corner blue bar off the top of the PostgreSQL.org web site:
and wrap around a white mug.

So, the left-handed see the elephant head and "PostgreSQL".
The right-handed see "The world's most advanced open source database.".

PostgreSQLThe world's most advanced open source database.

--Basil Bourque

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/9/2013 2:07 PM, Basil Bourque wrote:
Other folks posted much more clever and original ideas than mine here. But for a mug I would actually enjoy seeing on my desk daily…

--> Lift the rounded-corner blue bar off the top of the PostgreSQL.org web site:
and wrap around a white mug.

So, the left-handed see the elephant head and "PostgreSQL".
The right-handed see "The world's most advanced open source database.".

I like that.  could even add a grey bar under it like the menu bar on the website, but with buzzwords associated with postgresql, like 'Transactional       Data Integrity     Extensible"   or whatever.

catch-22, standard coffee mug I have in front of me, the circumference is about 10" (25cm), so the blue bar would have to be pretty skinny to fit the same stuff on it laid out as the website.      maybe make it a little taller proportionally and put a smaller PostgreSQL *under* a larger elephant so its all visible from the same side, with the same 'Worlds most advanced...' on the opposite side.

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Cyclix
Дата:
I like Basil's idea, and I would add some sort of a "catchy" or
similar line at the top (but inside) of the blue bar with something
like the following:

"I did nothing today, and still got paid, thanks to PG :-)"

Cheers,

cyclix

On 09/10/2013 07:07 AM, Basil Bourque wrote:
> Other folks posted much more clever and original ideas than mine
> here. But for a mug I would actually enjoy seeing on my desk
> daily…
>
> --> Lift the rounded-corner blue bar off the top of the
> PostgreSQL.org <http://PostgreSQL.org> web site:
> http://www.postgresql.org/ and wrap around a white mug.
>
> So, the left-handed see the elephant head and "PostgreSQL". The
> right-handed see "The world's most advanced open source
> database.".
>
> PostgreSQL <http://www.postgresql.org/>The world's most advanced
> open source database. <http://www.postgresql.org/>
>
> --Basil Bourque

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Sam Hahn
Дата:
How about
  • "Postgres -the Linux of Data"  (or)
  • "The Linux of DBs"
??

On 9/8/2013 4:51 PM, Bret Stern wrote:
PostgreSQL - (the worlds database)

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/9/2013 5:39 PM, Sam Hahn wrote:
How about
  • "Postgres -the Linux of Data"  (or)
  • "The Linux of DBs"

ugh no.    if anything, Mysql is the Linux of data.     PostgreSQL is more like the BSD of Data.

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 10/09/13 13:21, John R Pierce wrote:
On 9/9/2013 5:39 PM, Sam Hahn wrote:
How about
  • "Postgres -the Linux of Data"  (or)
  • "The Linux of DBs"

ugh no.    if anything, Mysql is the Linux of data.     PostgreSQL is more like the BSD of Data.

More people have heard of Linux compared to BSD, and the Linux market share is growing faster than BSD's!

Note: I am not commenting on the relative technical merits of Linux & BSD.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
On Monday, September 9, 2013, Gavin Flower wrote:

> On 10/09/13 13:21, John R Pierce wrote:
>>
>> On 9/9/2013 5:39 PM, Sam Hahn wrote:
>>>
>>> How about
>>> "Postgres -the Linux of Data"  (or)
>>> "The Linux of DBs"
>>

>> ugh no.    if anything, Mysql is the Linux of data.     PostgreSQL is more like the BSD of Data.
>>

>> --
>> john r pierce                                      37N 122W
>> somewhere on the middle of the left coast
>
> More people have heard of Linux compared to BSD, and the Linux market share is growing faster than BSD's!
>
> Note: I am not commenting on the relative technical merits of Linux & BSD.

The basic point that you are missing here is the philosophical
differences between Gnu and BSD.

--patrick

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/9/2013 6:42 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
More people have heard of Linux compared to BSD, and the Linux market share is growing faster than BSD's!

if you rate things by market share, then you'd compare it with MS Windows, or iOS.   lets not go there.

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
roppert
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM, patrick keshishian <pkeshish@gmail.com> wrote:

> If printing inside the mug is too difficult, cost prohibitive, then stick
> with the smiling elephant at the outside bottom of the mug.
>
> This type of a design would be a good ice-breaker/conversation
> starter in office meetings, etc.

This is a very nice idea. +1

Regards,
roppert

> --patrick
>

> --

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Vincent Veyron
Дата:
Le lundi 09 septembre 2013 à 14:17 -0700, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 9/9/2013 2:07 PM, Basil Bourque wrote:

> > --> Lift the rounded-corner blue bar off the top of the
> > PostgreSQL.org web site:
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/
> > and wrap around a white mug.
> >

> > So, the left-handed see the elephant head and "PostgreSQL".
> > The right-handed see "The world's most advanced open source
> > database.".
>

> I like that.  could even add a grey bar under it like the menu bar on
> the website, but with buzzwords associated with postgresql, like
> 'Transactional       Data Integrity     Extensible"   or whatever.

Nice for professionals, but the simplicity of the OP's proposition makes
for a nice brand recognition, I find?

I would suggest to write 'postgresl.org' for the message.

--
Salutations, Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/
Gestion des contrats, des contentieux juridiques et des sinistres
d'assurance

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 10 September 2013 15:09, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
Le lundi 09 septembre 2013 à 14:17 -0700, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 9/9/2013 2:07 PM, Basil Bourque wrote:

> > --> Lift the rounded-corner blue bar off the top of the
> > PostgreSQL.org web site:
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/
> > and wrap around a white mug.
> >

> > So, the left-handed see the elephant head and "PostgreSQL".
> > The right-handed see "The world's most advanced open source
> > database.".
>

> I like that.  could even add a grey bar under it like the menu bar on
> the website, but with buzzwords associated with postgresql, like
> 'Transactional       Data Integrity     Extensible"   or whatever.

Nice for professionals, but the simplicity of the OP's proposition makes
for a nice brand recognition, I find?

I would suggest to write 'postgresl.org' for the message.

I agree that the website where the logo comes from obviously doesn't need a written URL on the page, but it's a good addition to a mug.

Instead. I'd suggest to add that URL to the postgres website lower on the same side (at the bottom, for example). I'd use the same font as in the logo using a dark-gray colour.

...I wonder how long it will be before we have mugs where you can actually tap the logo with a finger and get send to the website!

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
"Karsten Hilbert"
Дата:
> ...I wonder how long it will be before we have mugs where you can
> actually tap the logo with a finger and get send to the website!

A QR code is as close as it gets these days.

Karsten Hilbert

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
One more "cute" idea that came to me last night. Here is a very
poor attempt at it by yours truly; keep in mind I'm not a graphics
artist. This image is for illustration purposes only!

    http://sidster.com/gallery/2013/09/10/elephant_paw.sml.jpg

Can you picture a bunch of these on a meeting table? If that image
does not scream "Stampede!", I don't know what does. =)

Again, a great conversation starter.

Cheers,
--patrick

p.s., Although, I for one do not condone this, those who are bent on
bashing the competitor product, can simply put a sticker-image of a
certain other mammal under this cup! ;) a DIY mod if you will.

On 9/9/13, patrick keshishian <pkeshish@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/3/13, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>>
>> PostgreSQL folks!
>>
>> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
>> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
>> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
>> time to design something new.
>>

>> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
>> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
>> friends.
>>

>> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
>> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.
>
> One more idea, which is on the "cute"/lighter side. This idea
> can be reversed/is reversible, so you get two ideas i one:
>
> - Outer face of the mug just simple words "PostgreSQL"
>   optionally with a URL to official web-site.
> - On the inside bottom of the mug face of a cute elephant looking
>   at you with a smile.
> - On the outside bottom of the mug, the rear end of the elephant
>   with tail and all.
>
> You can reverse the bottom images and get a second design, where
> the inside bottom of the mug is the rear of the elephant with tail and
> all, and the outside bottom of the mug is the smiling elephant :-)
>
> If printing inside the mug is too difficult, cost prohibitive, then stick
> with the smiling elephant at the outside bottom of the mug.
>
> This type of a design would be a good ice-breaker/conversation
> starter in office meetings, etc.
>
> --patrick

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
patrick keshishian <pkeshish@gmail.com> wrote:
> One more "cute" idea that came to me last night. Here is a very

> poor attempt at it by yours truly; keep in mind I'm not a graphics
> artist. This image is for illustration purposes only!
>
>     http://sidster.com/gallery/2013/09/10/elephant_paw.sml.jpg
>
> Can you picture a bunch of these on a meeting table? If that image
> does not scream "Stampede!", I don't know what does. =)
>
> Again, a great conversation starter.

I think I like this idea best so far!

Some supporting documentation for a final version:

http://www.asknature.org/strategy/29c12a353dab52ad8d4eb5d4337cefb9

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [pgeu-general] Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
patrick keshishian wrote:
> One more "cute" idea that came to me last night. Here is a very
> poor attempt at it by yours truly; keep in mind I'm not a graphics
> artist. This image is for illustration purposes only!
>
>     http://sidster.com/gallery/2013/09/10/elephant_paw.sml.jpg
>
> Can you picture a bunch of these on a meeting table? If that image
> does not scream "Stampede!", I don't know what does. =)

+1

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Eduardo Morras
Дата:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:08:52 +0200
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.
>

> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
> friends.
>

> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.

CREATE OR REFILL mug{
  id_owner INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
  owner_name VARCHAR(40),
  CONSTRAINT id_owner PRIMARY KEY (mug),
  CONSTRAINT fk_content FOREIGN KEY (content)
    REFERENCES content (content_id)
)WITH (
  OIDS=FALSE
);

> Thanks,

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On 09/09/2013 10:22 PM, patrick keshishian wrote:
> On 9/3/13, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>>
>> PostgreSQL folks!
>>
>> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
>> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
>> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
>> time to design something new.
>>

>> What's in for you? Fame, of course - we will announce the designer of
>> the next mug along with the mugs itself. Plus 4 mugs for you and your
>> friends.
>>

>> Do you have a cool idea? Please let us know. Either reply here or send
>> an email to pgeu-board@postgresql.org.
>
> One more idea, which is on the "cute"/lighter side. This idea
> can be reversed/is reversible, so you get two ideas i one:
>
> - Outer face of the mug just simple words "PostgreSQL"
>    optionally with a URL to official web-site.
> - On the inside bottom of the mug face of a cute elephant looking
>    at you with a smile.
> - On the outside bottom of the mug, the rear end of the elephant
>    with tail and all.
>
> You can reverse the bottom images and get a second design, where
> the inside bottom of the mug is the rear of the elephant with tail and
> all, and the outside bottom of the mug is the smiling elephant :-)
>
> If printing inside the mug is too difficult, cost prohibitive, then stick
> with the smiling elephant at the outside bottom of the mug.
>
> This type of a design would be a good ice-breaker/conversation
> starter in office meetings, etc.

So, when having a cap of cappuccino sitting on my desk: how can I show
- the inside of the mag
- the bottom of the mag

And the "PostgreSQL" on the outside is what we had on several design
iterations.

Sorry, I don't get how this will start a conversation.

Regards,

P.S.: Turns out there is something not on the Internet: "A video of
someone spilling his drink while answering the time question." (Let me
show you the bottom of my ... *oops*) On the other hand I'm sure someone
will prove me wrong.

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On 09/10/2013 10:15 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> patrick keshishian <pkeshish@gmail.com> wrote:
>> One more "cute" idea that came to me last night. Here is a very
>
>> poor attempt at it by yours truly; keep in mind I'm not a graphics
>> artist. This image is for illustration purposes only!
>>
>>      http://sidster.com/gallery/2013/09/10/elephant_paw.sml.jpg
>>
>> Can you picture a bunch of these on a meeting table? If that image
>> does not scream "Stampede!", I don't know what does. =)
>>
>> Again, a great conversation starter.
>
> I think I like this idea best so far!
>
> Some supporting documentation for a final version:
>
> http://www.asknature.org/strategy/29c12a353dab52ad8d4eb5d4337cefb9

I agree, that's a good idea. Instead of the original PG logo near the
top, the mug can show a real elephant face along with the foots on both
sides. And then have "PostgreSQL" somewhere written - maybe turned 90°
near the handle, on both sides?

How does this sound? And next question: who can design this? ;-)

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
Oooh can we make the handle an elephant trunk? (Ok, now I'm sure I'm adding all sorts of expense - but hey you'll save so much money using Postgres you can afford an expensive coffee mug!)

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Harold
Дата:
On 9/3/2013 6:08 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> PostgreSQL folks!
>
> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
> time to design something new.

Looking at http://www.postgresql.org/, I never even knew that there were
old designs for mugs, or where they are sold, or whether the pgsql team
gets funding from the purchase of said mugs.

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On 09/12/2013 07:44 PM, Thomas Harold wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 6:08 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>>
>> PostgreSQL folks!
>>
>> We are looking for the next big thing. Actually, it's a bit smaller: a
>> new design for mugs. So far we had big blue elephants, small blue
>> elephants, frosty elephants, white SQL code on black mugs ... Now it's
>> time to design something new.
>>

> Looking at http://www.postgresql.org/, I never even knew that there were
> old designs for mugs, or where they are sold, or whether the pgsql team
> gets funding from the purchase of said mugs.

The designs aren't online at the website. The mugs are sold at events,
and the money goes back to PG (that's what we do here in Europe).

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Call for design: PostgreSQL mugs

От
patrick keshishian
Дата:
On 9/10/13, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 September 2013 15:09, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>> > I like that.  could even add a grey bar under it like the menu bar on
>> > the website, but with buzzwords associated with postgresql, like
>> > 'Transactional       Data Integrity     Extensible"   or whatever.
>>
>> Nice for professionals, but the simplicity of the OP's proposition makes
>> for a nice brand recognition, I find?
>>
>> I would suggest to write 'postgresl.org' for the message.
>>

> I agree that the website where the logo comes from obviously doesn't need a
> written URL on the page, but it's a good addition to a mug.
>
> Instead. I'd suggest to add that URL to the postgres website lower on the
> same side (at the bottom, for example). I'd use the same font as in the
> logo using a dark-gray colour.
>
> ...I wonder how long it will be before we have mugs where you can actually
> tap the logo with a finger and get send to the website!

Hey, you asked, and Intel stol... delivered:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kifma5-eBo

pertinent bit starts at 1:40 mark.

Reason why you should never share your "cool" ideas
publicly on the intertwebs.

--patrick