Обсуждение: "Pretend" update

"Pretend" update

От
Perry Smith
Дата:
With "make" I can do "make -n" and it just tells me what it would do but doesn't actually do anything.

How could I do that with SQL?

I want to write a really complicated (for me) SQL UPDATE statement.  I'm sure I won't get it right the first time.  Is
therean easy way to not really make the changes?

I've thought about starting a transaction and then roll it back.  That would undo the changes.  But I won't be able to
tellwhat the changes were.

Thank you for your time,
Perry

Вложения

Re: "Pretend" update

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/01/2013 10:16 AM, Perry Smith wrote:
> With "make" I can do "make -n" and it just tells me what it would do but doesn't actually do anything.
>
> How could I do that with SQL?
>
> I want to write a really complicated (for me) SQL UPDATE statement.  I'm sure I won't get it right the first time.
Isthere an easy way to not really make the changes?

> I've thought about starting a transaction and then roll it back.  That would undo the changes.  But I won't be able
totell what the changes were.

Assuming you are not doing this in a function, you can. Do UPDATE, then
SELECT to see your changes or not and then ROLLBACK.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: "Pretend" update

От
Perry Smith
Дата:
On Oct 1, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/01/2013 10:16 AM, Perry Smith wrote:
>> With "make" I can do "make -n" and it just tells me what it would do but doesn't actually do anything.
>>
>> How could I do that with SQL?
>>
>> I want to write a really complicated (for me) SQL UPDATE statement.  I'm sure I won't get it right the first time.
Isthere an easy way to not really make the changes?

>> I've thought about starting a transaction and then roll it back.  That would undo the changes.  But I won't be able
totell what the changes were.

> Assuming you are not doing this in a function, you can. Do UPDATE, then SELECT to see your changes or not and then
ROLLBACK.

Ah... yes.  I forgot you can see the changes within the same transaction.  Dohhh...

Thank you very much
Perry

Вложения

Re: "Pretend" update

От
Victor Yegorov
Дата:
2013/10/1 Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>

On Oct 1, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming you are not doing this in a function, you can. Do UPDATE, then SELECT to see your changes or not and then ROLLBACK.

Ah... yes.  I forgot you can see the changes within the same transaction.  Dohhh...

It is possible to use RETURNING clause of the UPDATE statement and avoid SELECT.

And yes, it is necessary to do this within a transaction and roll it back after.

--
Victor Y. Yegorov