Обсуждение: pg_ctl start error and lock file

pg_ctl start error and lock file

От
Dev Kumkar
Дата:
Faced following issue when trying to start database using pg_ctl:

FATAL:  could not create lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied

Accidentally someone cleaned up /tmp and recreated it but without any write permissions to non-root user, if the non-root user write permissions are given to /tmp then it would start without any issues.

I was going thru some links and could find following (> 9+ years old thread):

Is there any way to control where the lock file can be created?

Regards...

Re: pg_ctl start error and lock file

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Dev Kumkar wrote:
> Faced following issue when trying to start database using pg_ctl:
>
> FATAL:  could not create lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied
>
> Accidentally someone cleaned up /tmp and recreated it but without any write permissions to non-root
> user, if the non-root user write permissions are given to /tmp then it would start without any issues.
>
> I was going thru some links and could find following (> 9+ years old thread):
> http://compgroups.net/comp.postgresql.general/postgres-start-error/2886274
>
> Is there any way to control where the lock file can be created?

Set "unix_socket_directory" (in versions before 9.3) or
"unix_socket_directories" (from 9.3 on) in postgresql.conf.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: pg_ctl start error and lock file

От
Dev Kumkar
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
Set "unix_socket_directory" (in versions before 9.3) or
"unix_socket_directories" (from 9.3 on) in postgresql.conf.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Fantastic, thanks for this setting.

regards...