Обсуждение: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
Jonathan Vanasco
Дата:
I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade

the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store `postgresql.conf` in etc as
`/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`

however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.

the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the data dirs.

it took me a while to realize this was the error.

it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be in the data dir to enable an upgrade.

Re: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
David G Johnston
Дата:
Jonathan Vanasco-7 wrote
> I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade
>
> the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store
> `postgresql.conf` in etc as `/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`
>
> however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.
>
> the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the
> data dirs.
>
> it took me a while to realize this was the error.
>
> it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be
> in the data dir to enable an upgrade.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_pg_upgrade_on_Ubuntu/Debian

It would make more sense for the Debian packagers people to write a
pg_upgradecluster wrapper like they have done for the other key programs.

David J.

Re: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/14/2014 11:10 AM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade
>
> the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store `postgresql.conf` in etc as
`/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`

> however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.
>
> the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the data dirs.
>
> it took me a while to realize this was the error.
>
> it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be in the data dir to enable an upgrade.

I believe there is:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/pgupgrade.html

Notes

"If you are upgrading a pre-PostgreSQL 9.2 cluster that uses a
configuration-file-only directory, you must pass the real data directory
location to pg_upgrade, and pass the configuration directory location to
the server, e.g. -d /real-data-directory -o '-D /configuration-directory'."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
David G Johnston
Дата:
David G Johnston wrote

> Jonathan Vanasco-7 wrote
>> I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade
>>
>> the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store
>> `postgresql.conf` in etc as
>> `/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`
>>
>> however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.
>>
>> the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the
>> data dirs.
>>
>> it took me a while to realize this was the error.
>>
>> it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be
>> in the data dir to enable an upgrade.
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_pg_upgrade_on_Ubuntu/Debian
>
> It would make more sense for the Debian packagers people to write a
> pg_upgradecluster wrapper like they have done for the other key programs.
>
> David J.

Note it appears there is a pg_upgradecluster program, but it doesn't appear
to a wrapper for the official program...

David J.

Re: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David G Johnston wrote:
> David G Johnston wrote

> > It would make more sense for the Debian packagers people to write a
> > pg_upgradecluster wrapper like they have done for the other key programs.
>
> Note it appears there is a pg_upgradecluster program, but it doesn't appear
> to a wrapper for the official program...

As far as I recall, pg_upgradecluster goes through a pg_dump /
pg_restore cycle.  It predates pg_upgrade itself.

Re: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
David G Johnston
Дата:
David G Johnston wrote

> David G Johnston wrote
>>
>> Jonathan Vanasco-7 wrote
>>> I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade
>>>
>>> the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store
>>> `postgresql.conf` in etc as
>>> `/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`
>>>
>>> however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.
>>>
>>> the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the
>>> data dirs.
>>>
>>> it took me a while to realize this was the error.
>>>
>>> it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be
>>> in the data dir to enable an upgrade.
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_pg_upgrade_on_Ubuntu/Debian
>>
>> It would make more sense for the Debian packagers people to write a
>> pg_upgradecluster wrapper like they have done for the other key programs.
>>
>> David J.
> Note it appears there is a pg_upgradecluster program, but it doesn't
> appear to a wrapper for the official program...
>
> David J.

<should finish skimming before I post things....>

Anyway, without self verification, it appears from here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-common/+bug/939260

that you can instruct pg_upgradecluster to use the official program to do
the upgrade instead of its old method - whatever that was...

David J.

Re: pg_upgrade and ubuntu

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 11/14/14 2:10 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade
>
> the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store `postgresql.conf` in etc as
`/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`

> however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.
>
> the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the data dirs.
>
> it took me a while to realize this was the error.
>
> it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be in the data dir to enable an upgrade.

On Debian/Ubuntu, use pg_upgradecluster --method upgrade.  See the man
page for details.