Обсуждение: ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

От
"Semyon Reyfman"

When I create a table with “CREATE TABLE name AS SELECT…” statement and immediately afterward use this new table in a query does it make sense to run ANALYZE on the new table in between?  It appears that postgres should be able to collect very detailed statistics while emitting the table but I am not sure if this is done.

Thanks

Simon

Re: ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

Дата:
"Semyon Reyfman" <sreyfman@therealauthority.com> writes:
> When I create a table with "CREATE TABLE name AS SELECT." statement and
> immediately afterward use this new table in a query does it make sense to
> run ANALYZE on the new table in between?

Yes.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

От
David Steele
Дата:
On 2/26/15 2:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Semyon Reyfman" <sreyfman@therealauthority.com> writes:
>> When I create a table with "CREATE TABLE name AS SELECT." statement and
>> immediately afterward use this new table in a query does it make sense to
>> run ANALYZE on the new table in between?
>
> Yes.

Yes.  And to be more specific - vacuum cannot see tables that have been
created in a transaction, so you should always analyze tables that you
intend to read in the same transaction where you created them.

Even if you do commit before reading there is a race condition with
vacuum, so it's best to analyze.

Bonus tip: the same is true for any temp tables you might create.  More
so, since vacuum will never see them at all.

--
- David Steele
david@pgmasters.net

Вложения

Re: ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

От
"Semyon Reyfman"
Дата:
This is exactly my situation.