Обсуждение: Where do I enter commands?

Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
I just installed PostgreSQL and started reading the tutorial @ http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-createdb.html and was snowed at square one. To create a database, I'm supposed to type the following command:

$ createdb mydb
But it doesn't say where I'm supposed to type it. When I click on the PostgreSQL icon in my taskbar, a program called pgAdminIII opens up. I've clicked File, Edit, Plugins, etc., but I don't see any clues about where I'm supposed to type commands.

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/24/2015 06:21 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I just installed PostgreSQL and started reading the tutorial @
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-createdb.html and was
> snowed at square one. To create a database, I'm supposed to type the
> following command:
>
> $  createdb mydb
>
> But it doesn't say where I'm supposed to type it. When I click on the
> PostgreSQL icon in my taskbar, a program called pgAdminIII opens up.
> I've clicked File, Edit, Plugins, etc., but I don't see any clues about
> where I'm supposed to type commands.

So lets backup up a bit:

1) What OS are you on?

2) How did you install Postgres?

3) What version of Postgres?
Hope it is not 8.0 implied by the doc link above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
I'm on a Mac running OS X El Capitain. I think I installed PostgreSQL 9.5 after following the links to http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#osx

I just learned about phpPGAdmin and installed it as well. But when I navigate to localhost/phppgadmin, I get a "not found" error message.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
[...]

Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
www.geobop.org

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/24/2015 07:20 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I'm on a Mac running OS X El Capitain. I think I installed PostgreSQL
> 9.5 after following the links to
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#osx

Well the tutorial is geared to using the command line to run programs.

Are you comfortable with the command line or would you prefer to use a
GUI like pgAdmin?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
I'd greatly prefer a GUI. It seems like a command-line tool would be incredibly tedious when creating tables, modifying them, filling them with data, etc. Thanks.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
[...]

John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/24/2015 7:33 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I'd greatly prefer a GUI. It seems like a command-line tool would be
> incredibly tedious when creating tables, modifying them, filling them
> with data, etc. Thanks.

normally, your application programs do the data filling part, manual
data entry direct via sql is fairly uncommon.

anyways, the GUI is pgAdmin, and you can create a database by opening
the server, and selecting 'new database...', give it an owner, etc.
then open that database, find hte Public schema therewithin, and create
your table(s) in that schema...

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
Hmmm...I have pgAdminIII. When I click on Server, there's no option to create a database.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 10/24/2015 7:33 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
I'd greatly prefer a GUI. It seems like a command-line tool would be incredibly tedious when creating tables, modifying them, filling them with data, etc. Thanks.

normally, your application programs do the data filling part, manual data entry direct via sql is fairly uncommon.

anyways, the GUI is pgAdmin, and you can create a database by opening the server, and selecting 'new database...', give it an owner, etc.   then open that database, find hte Public schema therewithin, and create your table(s) in that schema...

David Blomstrom
Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
www.geobop.org

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/24/2015 07:44 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> Hmmm...I have pgAdminIII. When I click on Server, there's no option to
> create a database.

I would spend some time here:

http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.20/index.html

before going much further, just to get the gist of pgAdmin.

In the meantime, you have to connect to the Server before you can create
anything on it. Is there a entry under Servers?

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com
> <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/24/2015 7:33 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
>
>         I'd greatly prefer a GUI. It seems like a command-line tool
>         would be incredibly tedious when creating tables, modifying
>         them, filling them with data, etc. Thanks.
>

>     normally, your application programs do the data filling part, manual
>     data entry direct via sql is fairly uncommon.
>
>     anyways, the GUI is pgAdmin, and you can create a database by
>     opening the server, and selecting 'new database...', give it an
>     owner, etc.   then open that database, find hte Public schema
>     therewithin, and create your table(s) in that schema...
>
>     --
>     john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>

>     --
>

> --
> David Blomstrom
> Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
> www.geobop.org <http://www.geobop.org>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
"Is there a entry under Servers?"

PostgreSQL 9.5 (localhost) - but there's a red X over it.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
[...]

Дата:
On 10/24/2015 08:00 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> "Is there a entry under Servers?"
>
> PostgreSQL 9.5 (localhost) - but there's a red X over it.

That means you are not connected to the Server. Right click on the entry
and select Connect. It will probably ask for a password, which should be
the database password you created when you did the install.

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/24/2015 07:44 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
>
>         Hmmm...I have pgAdminIII. When I click on Server, there's no
>         option to
>         create a database.
>

>     I would spend some time here:
>
>     http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.20/index.html
>
>     before going much further, just to get the gist of pgAdmin.
>
>     In the meantime, you have to connect to the Server before you can
>     create anything on it. Is there a entry under Servers?
>

>         On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM, John R Pierce
>         <pierce@hogranch.com <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>
>         <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 10/24/2015 7:33 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
>
>                  I'd greatly prefer a GUI. It seems like a command-line tool
>                  would be incredibly tedious when creating tables, modifying
>                  them, filling them with data, etc. Thanks.
>

>              normally, your application programs do the data filling
>         part, manual
>              data entry direct via sql is fairly uncommon.
>
>              anyways, the GUI is pgAdmin, and you can create a database by
>              opening the server, and selecting 'new database...', give it an
>              owner, etc.   then open that database, find hte Public schema
>              therewithin, and create your table(s) in that schema...
>
>              --
>              john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>

>              --
>

>         --
>         David Blomstrom
>         Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
>         www.geobop.org <http://www.geobop.org> <http://www.geobop.org>
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>

> --
> David Blomstrom
> Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
> www.geobop.org <http://www.geobop.org>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
Good tip; I can now see the database I created. Thanks.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
[...]

Rob Sargent
Дата:
ok. now who has the url to the pithy heres-why-you-really-want-the-command-line.

It distills to something about actually knowing what you’re doing.

On Oct 24, 2015, at 9:29 PM, David Blomstrom <david.blomstrom@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Дата:
On 10/24/2015 08:52 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
> ok. now who has the url to the pithy
> heres-why-you-/really/-want-the-command-line.
>
> It distills to something about actually knowing what you’re doing.

Everyone has to start somewhere. The point is get someone using Postgres
in manner they are comfortable with, then they can start exploring the
possibilities. I personally find the command line more productive, but
there is a learning curve.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
I'm a writer. I studied programing and MySQL so I could create websites that I can publish my articles to. I don't have time to keep up with the endless technology - MySQL, PDO, stored procedures, PHP, JavaScript, JQuery, and on and on - especially when I have to work for a living. I've been using MySQL for years, so I'm familiar with it. It therefore makes sense for me to find a GUI as similar to MySQL as possible.

With phpMyAdmin, I can easily create, modify, copy and migrate tables between databases. If that can be done as easily with a command-line-tool, even after surviving the learning curve, then I'm interested. But it's really hard to imagine how that could be.

Thanks for the tips.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 10/24/2015 08:52 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
ok. now who has the url to the pithy
heres-why-you-/really/-want-the-command-line.

It distills to something about actually knowing what you’re doing.

Everyone has to start somewhere. The point is get someone using Postgres in manner they are comfortable with, then they can start exploring the possibilities. I personally find the command line more productive, but there is a learning curve.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
David Blomstrom
Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
www.geobop.org

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 07:33:15PM -0700, David Blomstrom wrote:
> It seems like a command-line tool would be
> incredibly tedious when creating tables, modifying them, filling them with
> data, etc.

For whatever it's worth, I find quite the opposite: once you have the
hang of the command line, it is so much more efficient for these
things (you can script everything up in your favourite editor) that I
find I never go back to the GUI unless I need diagrams and so on.

I think the others in the thread are giving you the right
instructions, so I've nothing to add on the GUI.  But do consider
trying out the command line.  You'll be surprised at the power you get
once the initial learning curve is over.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 10/24/2015 09:19 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I'm a writer. I studied programing and MySQL so I could create websites
> that I can publish my articles to. I don't have time to keep up with the
> endless technology - MySQL, PDO, stored procedures, PHP, JavaScript,
> JQuery, and on and on - especially when I have to work for a living.
> I've been using MySQL for years, so I'm familiar with it. It therefore
> makes sense for me to find a GUI as similar to MySQL as possible.
>
> With phpMyAdmin, I can easily create, modify, copy and migrate tables
> between databases. If that can be done as easily with a
> command-line-tool, even after surviving the learning curve, then I'm
> interested. But it's really hard to imagine how that could be.
>
> Thanks for the tips.

I would ignore Rob, he obviously is suffering from a lack of coffee. Our
community always tries to help new users. It is great to see you here.

Sincerely,

JD

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
Since you are just starting, you should probably familarize yourself with how PgAdmin works with PostgreSQL.
Therefore, it is best you refer to the documentation for PgAdmin.

PgAdmin III
http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.20/index.html

I also suggest you obtain a copy of one, or both, of the following two books to help you with PostgreSQL.

Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594789?keywords=postgresql&qid=1445778326&ref_=sr_1_3&s=books&sr=1-3

PostgreSQL Administration Essentials
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1783988983?keywords=postgresql&qid=1445778326&ref_=sr_1_7&s=books&sr=1-7

You can also find a very extensive listing of other books about PostgreSQL here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
[...]

Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  503-667-4564

Melvin Davidson

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/24/2015 09:19 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I'm a writer. I studied programing and MySQL so I could create websites
> that I can publish my articles to. I don't have time to keep up with the
> endless technology - MySQL, PDO, stored procedures, PHP, JavaScript,
> JQuery, and on and on - especially when I have to work for a living.
> I've been using MySQL for years, so I'm familiar with it. It therefore
> makes sense for me to find a GUI as similar to MySQL as possible.
>
> With phpMyAdmin, I can easily create, modify, copy and migrate tables
> between databases. If that can be done as easily with a
> command-line-tool, even after surviving the learning curve, then I'm
> interested. But it's really hard to imagine how that could be.

pgAdmin will allow you to do those things. phpPgAdmin also, though I
have never used it, so I can not be of much help there. The predominate
command line tool folks are referring to is psql:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-psql.html

For dumping databases or their contained objects there is pg_dump:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html

for restoring non-plain text dumps there is pg_restore

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html

for plain text dumps just use psql.

These three programs will cover most of your use cases. The benefit to
using these tools is that you end of working with scripts that then can
be put under version control. Takes a little bit of time to set up but
the payoff is worth it for anything above the really simple level.

> Thanks for the tips.
>
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/24/2015 08:52 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>
>         ok. now who has the url to the pithy
>         heres-why-you-/really/-want-the-command-line.
>
>         It distills to something about actually knowing what you’re doing.
>

>     Everyone has to start somewhere. The point is get someone using
>     Postgres in manner they are comfortable with, then they can start
>     exploring the possibilities. I personally find the command line more
>     productive, but there is a learning curve.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>

> --
> David Blomstrom
> Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
> www.geobop.org <http://www.geobop.org>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
It's hard to imagine creating a table with a command-line tool - in the step-by-step process I use with phpMyAdmin, that is. If you can learn the proper syntax for creating a table and put together a script for a generic table that you can easily modify, then maybe it would be a lot easier with a command-line tool.

In phpMyAdmin, I've become accustomed to simply copying existing tables, then adding, deleting and renaming columns as needed.

I can see PostgreSQL is going to have a learning curve - hopefully shorter than the years it took me to learn MySQL - but it looks interesting. The community seems painfully small compared to MySQL, and there are less online resources. But I'm guessing that will change in the coming years. I remember when CSS was a strange, foreign thing. ;)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:28 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
[...]

Дата:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 07:57:48AM -0700, David Blomstrom wrote:
> In phpMyAdmin, I've become accustomed to simply copying existing tables,
> then adding, deleting and renaming columns as needed.

Oh!  Interesting.  I suspect you're actually _undermining_ your
ability to use the database (because often when you copy a table it's
a sign that you're using the database like a spreadsheet, and you're
giving up a lot of functionality that way).

But, suppose you're wanting to do that, then here's the easy way to do
it:

--- if you want the same table structure without the data

CREATE TABLE newtable AS SELECT * FROM oldtable WHERE 1=0;

-- if you want the same table with some data

CREATE TABLE newtable AS SELECT columns, you, want, in, order
    FROM oldtable
    [WHERE conditions];

If you want only some columns or new order or something, the WHERE
clause in the latter statement should be 1=0.  It makes a null set
always.  Handy trick.

> I can see PostgreSQL is going to have a learning curve - hopefully shorter
> than the years it took me to learn MySQL - but it looks interesting.

It should be much easier.  You have the basics from MySQL already.
Consistency and rigour are the changes ;-)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/25/2015 07:57 AM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> It's hard to imagine creating a table with a command-line tool - in the
> step-by-step process I use with phpMyAdmin, that is. If you can learn
> the proper syntax for creating a table and put together a script for a
> generic table that you can easily modify, then maybe it would be a lot
> easier with a command-line tool.
>
> In phpMyAdmin, I've become accustomed to simply copying existing tables,
> then adding, deleting and renaming columns as needed.

In psql:

test=> CREATE TABLE orig_test(id integer, fld_1 varchar, fld_2 boolean,
fld_3 numeric(7,3));
CREATE TABLE

test=> \d orig_test
Table "public.orig_test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+-------------------+-----------
id | integer |
fld_1 | character varying |
fld_2 | boolean |
fld_3 | numeric(7,3) |

test=> create table cp_test AS select * from orig_test ;
SELECT 0

test=> \d cp_test
Table "public.cp_test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+-------------------+-----------
id | integer |
fld_1 | character varying |
fld_2 | boolean |
fld_3 | numeric(7,3) |

test=> alter table cp_test add column fld_4 date;
ALTER TABLE
test=> \d cp_test
          Table "public.cp_test"
  Column |       Type        | Modifiers
--------+-------------------+-----------
  id     | integer           |
  fld_1  | character varying |
  fld_2  | boolean           |
  fld_3  | numeric(7,3)      |
  fld_4  | date              |

One note, in Postgres new columns will always be added to end of table.

> I can see PostgreSQL is going to have a learning curve - hopefully
> shorter than the years it took me to learn MySQL - but it looks
> interesting. The community seems painfully small compared to MySQL, and
> there are less online resources. But I'm guessing that will change in
> the coming years. I remember when CSS was a strange, foreign thing. ;)

Last time I there was a count on the people on this mailing list I
remember a number of 33,000-34,000.

> [...]
>     set up but the payoff is worth it for anything above the really
>     simple level.
>

>         Thanks for the tips.
>
>         On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Adrian Klaver
>         <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 10/24/2015 08:52 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>
>                  ok. now who has the url to the pithy
>                  heres-why-you-/really/-want-the-command-line.
>
>                  It distills to something about actually knowing what
>         you’re doing.
>

>              Everyone has to start somewhere. The point is get someone using
>              Postgres in manner they are comfortable with, then they can
>         start
>              exploring the possibilities. I personally find the command
>         line more
>              productive, but there is a learning curve.

Дата:
Wow, great tips; you answered a question I was about to post either here or on a forum. One question, though.

Someone said when you add a new column in Postgre, it's appended to the end of the table. Does that mean that's where it has to stay, or can you rearrange columns, as in MySQL?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Alexander Reichstadt <lxr@icloud.com> wrote:
Hello David,

This cookbook has worked for me for the last five years on Mac OS X, always and totally reliable up to incl. El Capitan and every intermittent release before. And most of all, it worked even as a repair measure. So if my server would stop working after a small Mac Os X update, I took these steps, and without migrations it just worked again then:

1. google

        enterprise Postgres installer

2. hit the first link, follow your intuition on where you get until you download the binary for the platform you want
3. install postgres and then launch package maker
4. in package maker, you can scroll down and navigate to the category web development, and there select phpPgAdmin with apache
5. run the installation, it is going to install a special instance of apache only for phpPgAdmin
6. it will guide you through to the end including to select a port and website to connect to, just hit return 'til the whole things shuts up and gives you the summary page
7. make a screenshot for your files, log on trough a web browser, you will see, it explains itself

Note 1: depending on where you want to allow logons from to your page, this is another chapter, but actually quite straight forward.

Note 2: Given you are in the middle of another approach, this might fail now. Regardless of any prior data you have, disregard it until here. Once the server is running, you have the next piece to cover and it is normally quite easy to do then.

I did also both, Mysql and Postgres, and even though it seemed a little less intuitive at first, and even though I find a waste of time in any matter aggravating, there is a host of reasons it was a very good and time saving decision in the long run to have switched and thus gained access to tons of features mysql does not offer, not to mention the license giving you freedom mysql is never going to be able to offer.

Finally of that, I have rarely found an open source community as supportive and responsive as the postgres community, you can measure that against premium service of some providers who charge you money for it. Hang in there for the start, it is going to be rewarding.

Hope this helps your decision process
Alex

> On 25 Oct 2015, at 1:28 p.m., Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/24/2015 09:19 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
>> I'm a writer. I studied programing and MySQL so I could create websites
>> that I can publish my articles to. I don't have time to keep up with the
>> endless technology - MySQL, PDO, stored procedures, PHP, JavaScript,
>> JQuery, and on and on - especially when I have to work for a living.
>> I've been using MySQL for years, so I'm familiar with it. It therefore
>> makes sense for me to find a GUI as similar to MySQL as possible.
>>
>> With phpMyAdmin, I can easily create, modify, copy and migrate tables
>> between databases. If that can be done as easily with a
>> command-line-tool, even after surviving the learning curve, then I'm
>> interested. But it's really hard to imagine how that could be.
>
> pgAdmin will allow you to do those things. phpPgAdmin also, though I have never used it, so I can not be of much help there. The predominate command line tool folks are referring to is psql:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-psql.html
>
> For dumping databases or their contained objects there is pg_dump:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html
>
> for restoring non-plain text dumps there is pg_restore
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html
>
> for plain text dumps just use psql.
>
> These three programs will cover most of your use cases. The benefit to using these tools is that you end of working with scripts that then can be put under version control. Takes a little bit of time to set up but the payoff is worth it for anything above the really simple level.
>

>> Thanks for the tips.
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Adrian Klaver
>> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 10/24/2015 08:52 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>>
>>        ok. now who has the url to the pithy
>>        heres-why-you-/really/-want-the-command-line.
>>
>>        It distills to something about actually knowing what you’re doing.
>>

>>    Everyone has to start somewhere. The point is get someone using
>>    Postgres in manner they are comfortable with, then they can start
>>    exploring the possibilities. I personally find the command line more
>>    productive, but there is a learning curve.
>>

>>    --
>>    Adrian Klaver
>>    adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>>

>> --
>> David Blomstrom
>> Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
>> www.geobop.org <http://www.geobop.org>
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>

> --

David Blomstrom
Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
www.geobop.org

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
> On Oct 25, 2015, at 3:21 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> I would ignore Rob, he obviously is suffering from a lack of coffee. Our community always tries to help new users. It
isgreat to see you here.

> Sincerely,
>
> JD

Always the best advice :)

OK, Coffee’d up now.  Apologies for my grumpiness. The rest of the thread says it much more nicely.

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 08:32:43AM -0700, David Blomstrom wrote:

> Someone said when you add a new column in Postgre, it's appended to the end
> of the table. Does that mean that's where it has to stay, or can you
> rearrange columns

No, unless you drop/re-create the table (manually or with

    pg_dump -t <table>

But you can use a view over the table to show a desired
column order if you so wish.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
David Blomstrom
Дата:
No problem. I'm pretty grumpy when people invade MY turf - biology and education reform. As a former Seattle teacher who spent sixteen years in the meat grinder before becoming a whistle-blower, I've seen it all - and I know it all. ;)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 08:32:43AM -0700, David Blomstrom wrote:

> Someone said when you add a new column in Postgre, it's appended to the end
> of the table. Does that mean that's where it has to stay, or can you
> rearrange columns

No, unless you drop/re-create the table (manually or with

        pg_dump -t <table>

But you can use a view over the table to show a desired
column order if you so wish.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

David Blomstrom
Writer & Web Designer (Mac, M$ & Linux)
www.geobop.org

Re: Where do I enter commands?

От
Josip Rodin
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 07:57:48AM -0700, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I can see PostgreSQL is going to have a learning curve - hopefully shorter
> than the years it took me to learn MySQL - but it looks interesting. The
> community seems painfully small compared to MySQL, and there are less
> online resources.

There might be a causal relation between your first and your second
sentence ;) more stuff doesn't always mean more quality stuff.

The community size discrepancy really isn't that bad these days.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/mysql - 350k
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/postgresql - 45k
Obviously the former number is larger, but it's not necessarily going to be
relevant since the latter number is large enough to support the vast
majority of typical questions that a newcomer is likely to have.

And that's just for that one site (albeit a very popular one) - Google
searches for typical PostgreSQL questions will often turn up fine answers
from the archives of this mailing list.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

Re: Where do I enter commands?