Обсуждение: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
Hi All,

My production boxes are running on Redhat 5 and I need to build Postgresql 9.4 rpm for it following our environment setup.
If I build the rpm on Centos 5, will it be ok to run on Red Hat 5 boxes?
Can you please let me know?

Thanks.

Re: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/19/2016 12:21 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My production boxes are running on Redhat 5 and I need to build
> Postgresql 9.4 rpm for it following our environment setup.
> If I build the rpm on Centos 5, will it be ok to run on Red Hat 5 boxes?
> Can you please let me know?
>
> Thanks.

CentOS 5 and RHEL 5 are binary compatible, so yes.

However, is there a reason you aren't just using yum.postgresql.org?

JD

                      +1-503-667-4564

Re: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
We have all our scripts running on older Postrgesql versions for years where it is using PGHOME and other paths. We need to make the 9.4 rpm to follow those directory structure.
Considering above, am I going on right track? Please let me know.

Thanks.

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/
                     +1-503-667-4564

Re: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/19/2016 12:29 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
> We have all our scripts running on older Postrgesql versions for years
> where it is using PGHOME and other paths. We need to make the 9.4 rpm to
> follow those directory structure.
> Considering above, am I going on right track? Please let me know.

How did you install the Postgres version you have running now?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
AI Rumman
Дата:
We build our own rpms.

Thanks.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
[...]

Дата:
On 01/19/2016 12:37 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
> We build our own rpms.

Confusion on my part. When you say scripts below are you talking about
scripts you use to start/stop/monitor/otherwise control Postgres or the
scripts you use to build the RPMs?

> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/19/2016 12:29 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
>
>         We have all our scripts running on older Postrgesql versions for
>         years
>         where it is using PGHOME and other paths. We need to make the
>         9.4 rpm to
>         follow those directory structure.
>         Considering above, am I going on right track? Please let me know.
>

>     How did you install the Postgres version you have running now?
>

>         Thanks.
>
>         On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Joshua D. Drake
>         <jd@commandprompt.com <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>
>         <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 01/19/2016 12:21 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
>
>                  Hi All,
>
>                  My production boxes are running on Redhat 5 and I need
>         to build
>                  Postgresql 9.4 rpm for it following our environment setup.
>                  If I build the rpm on Centos 5, will it be ok to run on
>         Red Hat
>                  5 boxes?
>                  Can you please let me know?
>
>                  Thanks.
>

>              CentOS 5 and RHEL 5 are binary compatible, so yes.
>
>              However, is there a reason you aren't just using
>         yum.postgresql.org <http://yum.postgresql.org>
>              <http://yum.postgresql.org>?
>
>              JD
>
>              --
>              Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/
>         +1-503-667-4564 <tel:%2B1-503-667-4564> <tel:%2B1-503-667-4564>
>              PostgreSQL Centered full stack support, consulting and
>         development.
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/19/2016 01:05 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
Ccing list
> Yes, these are the scripts to start/stop/manipulate data etc.

Well it seems you have two choices:

1) Use someone else's packaging and change the above scripts

2) Use your previous custom RPM configuration to build the 9.4 RPMs and
keep your scripts as is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Building 9.4 rpm for Red Hat 5

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 1/19/2016 12:25 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/19/2016 12:21 PM, AI Rumman wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My production boxes are running on Redhat 5 and I need to build
>> Postgresql 9.4 rpm for it following our environment setup.
>> If I build the rpm on Centos 5, will it be ok to run on Red Hat 5 boxes?
>> Can you please let me know?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> CentOS 5 and RHEL 5 are binary compatible, so yes.
>
> However, is there a reason you aren't just using yum.postgresql.org?

indeed, full set of builds here
http://yum.postgresql.org/9.4/redhat/rhel-5-i386/

or

http://yum.postgresql.org/9.4/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/