Обсуждение: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"

Hello,

How can we determine when an error of approximation multixacts wraparound?

According to the information from pg_class:

select datname,datminmxid from pg_database;

    datname     | datminmxid

----------------+------------

template1      |  347462426

template0      |  347462426

postgres          |  347462426

zabbix             |  467261307

db_3                |  291141939

db_1               |  388282963

db                    |  388282963

But when the vacuum/autovacuum starts up, an error occurs:

WARNING:  oldest multixact is far in the past

HINT:  Close open transactions with multixacts soon to avoid wraparound problems.

If I understand correctly, approaching Multixact member wraparound.

But how to understand when it comes exactly and what to do?

PostgreSQL version – 9.3.10, OS Debian 7.8.

Thank you.

Sorry, if I chose the wrong mailing list.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 03/24/2016 12:54 AM, Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can we determine when an error of approximation multixacts wraparound?
>
> According to the information from pg_class:
>
> select datname,datminmxid from pg_database;
>
>      datname     | datminmxid
>
> ----------------+------------
>
> template1      |  347462426
>
> template0      |  347462426
>
> postgres          |  347462426
>
> zabbix             |  467261307
>
> db_3                |  291141939
>
> db_1               |  388282963
>
> db                    |  388282963
>
> But when the vacuum/autovacuum starts up, an error occurs:
>
> WARNING:  oldest multixact is far in the past
>
> HINT:  Close open transactions with multixacts soon to avoid wraparound
> problems.

The above would seem to be the key. Take a look at what is in:

select * from pg_stat_activity;

You are looking for long running queries and/or 'idle in transaction'
queries'.

For more information see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/monitoring-stats.html#PG-STAT-ACTIVITY-VIEW

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"
Дата:
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, the first thing I looked at the statistics from pg_stat_activity.
But I have a transaction is not more than 60 seconds and the condition 'idle in transaction' lasts only a few seconds.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> Yes, the first thing I looked at the statistics from pg_stat_activity.
> But I have a transaction is not more than 60 seconds and the condition 'idle in transaction' lasts only a few
seconds.

Maybe you have a prepared transaction?  See
select * from pg_prepared_xacts;

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"
Дата:
There is nothing:
select * from pg_prepared_xacts;
 transaction | gid | prepared | owner | database
-------------+-----+----------+-------+----------
(0 rows)
It is also noticed that a lot of files in a directory main/pg_multixact/members/, now - 69640.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

> Yes, the first thing I looked at the statistics from pg_stat_activity.
> But I have a transaction is not more than 60 seconds and the condition 'idle in transaction' lasts only a few
seconds.

Maybe you have a prepared transaction?  See select * from pg_prepared_xacts;

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> There is nothing:
> select * from pg_prepared_xacts;
>  transaction | gid | prepared | owner | database
> -------------+-----+----------+-------+----------
> (0 rows)
> It is also noticed that a lot of files in a directory main/pg_multixact/members/, now - 69640.

Can you attach pg_controldata output?

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"
Дата:
Hi, thank you very much for your help.
Pg_control out in the attachment.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

>  transaction | gid | prepared | owner | database
> -------------+-----+----------+-------+----------
> (0 rows)
> It is also noticed that a lot of files in a directory main/pg_multixact/members/, now - 69640.

Can you attach pg_controldata output?

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"
Дата:
Hello,
There is no news?
Now I have to do VACUUM every night, so that the server worked.
Maybe run VACUUM FREEZE?

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

>  transaction | gid | prepared | owner | database
> -------------+-----+----------+-------+----------
> (0 rows)
> It is also noticed that a lot of files in a directory main/pg_multixact/members/, now - 69640.

Can you attach pg_controldata output?

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 03/30/2016 06:24 AM, Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Hello,
> There is no news?
> Now I have to do VACUUM every night, so that the server worked.

So has the WARNING gone away?:

WARNING:  oldest multixact is far in the past
HINT:  Close open transactions with multixacts soon to avoid wraparound
problems.

Or to put it another way, define worked.

> Maybe run VACUUM FREEZE?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Vladimir Pavlov

Дата:
Yes, VACUUM helps to solve the problem and the WARNING gone away.
But, the problem is that the VACUUM for the entire database (2.4T) takes over 7 hours, and it has to run every 15-20
hours(about 300 millions transactions), otherwise:
ERROR:  multixact "members" limit exceeded - and server stops working.
The question is how to start the VACUUM at least once in three days.

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

On 03/30/2016 06:24 AM, Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Hello,
> There is no news?
> Now I have to do VACUUM every night, so that the server worked.

So has the WARNING gone away?:

WARNING:  oldest multixact is far in the past
HINT:  Close open transactions with multixacts soon to avoid wraparound problems.

Or to put it another way, define worked.

> Maybe run VACUUM FREEZE?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Vladimir Pavlov

Дата:
On 03/30/2016 08:03 AM, Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Yes, VACUUM helps to solve the problem and the WARNING gone away.

Okay, so now we are on a different problem.

> But, the problem is that the VACUUM for the entire database (2.4T) takes over 7 hours, and it has to run every 15-20
hours(about 300 millions transactions), otherwise:
> ERROR:  multixact "members" limit exceeded - and server stops working.
> The question is how to start the VACUUM at least once in three days.

That is the purpose of autovacuum:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

Which also has a per table feature:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-STORAGE-PARAMETERS

So how is your autovacuum set up?

Do really need to vacuum the whole database or selected heavily updated
table?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Yes, VACUUM helps to solve the problem and the WARNING gone away.
> But, the problem is that the VACUUM for the entire database (2.4T) takes over 7 hours, and it has to run every 15-20
hours(about 300 millions transactions), otherwise:
> ERROR:  multixact "members" limit exceeded - and server stops working.
> The question is how to start the VACUUM at least once in three days.

You should have *started* the thread with this information.

My bet is that your multixacts are overly large and that's causing
excessive vacuuming work; this is likely due to bug #8470 (which is
fixed in 9.5 and master but not 9.3 and 9.4) and my bet is that you
would very much benefit from the patch I posted in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150620043650.GX133018%40postgresql.org
I didn't actually verify this; you could with some arithmetic on the
deltas in multixact counters in pg_controldata output that you could
take periodically.

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"
Дата:
Hello,
If I get you right:
Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId:      2075246000
Latest checkpoint's oldestMultiXid:       2019511697
Number of members files:    10820
Size pg_multixact/members/ (bytes) (2.7Gb):    2887696384
Pages in file:    32
Members on page:    2045
Number of members (32*2045*10820):    708060800
Members per multixact (2075246000 - 2019511697)/708060800:    12,70421916
Multixact size (bytes) (2887696384/708060800):    4,078316981 - It's a lot?

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

#8470(which is fixed in 9.5 and master but not 9.3 and 9.4) and my bet is that you would very much benefit from the
patchI posted in https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150620043650.GX133018%40postgresql.org
I didn't actually verify this; you could with some arithmetic on the deltas in multixact counters in pg_controldata
outputthat you could take periodically.

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Pavlov, Vladimir wrote:
> Hello,
> If I get you right:
> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId:      2075246000
> Latest checkpoint's oldestMultiXid:       2019511697
> Number of members files:    10820
> Size pg_multixact/members/ (bytes) (2.7Gb):    2887696384
> Pages in file:    32
> Members on page:    2045
> Number of members (32*2045*10820):    708060800
> Members per multixact (2075246000 - 2019511697)/708060800:    12,70421916
> Multixact size (bytes) (2887696384/708060800):    4,078316981 - It's a lot?

Yeah, 12.7 members per multixact on average is a lot, unless you have 12
processes concurrently locking the same tuples, all the time (although
that is possible).   My guess is that this is related to subtransactions
(either explicit SAVEPOINTs in your SQL code, or EXCEPTION blocks in
plpgsql functions).

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
"Pavlov, Vladimir"
Дата:
I understand correctly, that number of members cannot be more than 2^32 (also uses a 32-bit counter)?
I had 69640 files in main/pg_multixact/members/, 69640*32*2045 = 4557241600 members, this is normal?

Kind regards,

Vladimir Pavlov

> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId:      2075246000
> Latest checkpoint's oldestMultiXid:       2019511697
> Number of members files:    10820
> Size pg_multixact/members/ (bytes) (2.7Gb):    2887696384
> Pages in file:    32
> Members on page:    2045
> Number of members (32*2045*10820):    708060800
> Members per multixact (2075246000 - 2019511697)/708060800:    12,70421916
> Multixact size (bytes) (2887696384/708060800):    4,078316981 - It's a lot?

Yeah, 12.7 members per multixact on average is a lot, unless you have 12 processes concurrently locking the same
tuples,all the time (although
that is possible).   My guess is that this is related to subtransactions
(either explicit SAVEPOINTs in your SQL code, or EXCEPTION blocks in plpgsql functions).

Re: Multixacts wraparound monitoring

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Pavlov, Vladimir
<Vladimir.Pavlov@tns-global.ru> wrote:
> I understand correctly, that number of members cannot be more than 2^32 (also uses a 32-bit counter)?

Correct.

> I had 69640 files in main/pg_multixact/members/, 69640*32*2045 = 4557241600 members, this is normal?

Where did you get 2045 from?  I thought it was like this:

number of members = number of member segment files * 1636 * 32
number of multixacts = number of offsets segment files * 2048 * 32

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com