Обсуждение: bdr replication

bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for suggestion how to recover bdr replication.
The short story we have 2 virtual nodes with share storage. Share storage lost power and after I brought all online bdr doesn't work properly.

Here are some log

2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43714):freeswitch_prod01 [15897] LOG: starting logical decoding for slot "bdr_16386_6242730220644137235_1_17937__"
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43714):freeswitch_prod01 [15897] DETAIL: streaming transactions committing after 0/39A248B0, reading WAL from 0/39A248B0
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43712):fusionpbx_prod01 [15896] LOG: starting logical decoding for slot "bdr_20650_6242730220644137235_1_22220__"
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43712):fusionpbx_prod01 [15896] DETAIL: streaming transactions committing after 0/39A248B0, reading WAL from 0/39A248B0
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43712):fusionpbx_prod01 [15896] ERROR: requested WAL segment 000000010000000000000039 has already been removed
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43714):freeswitch_prod01 [15897] ERROR: requested WAL segment 000000010000000000000039 has already been removed
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43712):fusionpbx_prod01 [15896] LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
2016-03-30 20:47:26 EDT postgres@10.12.160.2(43714):freeswitch_prod01 [15897] LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [977] LOG: starting background worker process "bdr (6242981939774453042,1,20650,)->bdr (6242730220644137235,1,"
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [977] LOG: starting background worker process "bdr (6242981939774453042,1,16386,)->bdr (6242730220644137235,1,"
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15899] NOTICE: version "1.0" of extension "btree_gist" is already installed
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15899] NOTICE: version "0.9.3.0" of extension "bdr" is already installed
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15898] NOTICE: version "1.0" of extension "btree_gist" is already installed
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15898] NOTICE: version "0.9.3.0" of extension "bdr" is already installed
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15899] INFO: starting up replication from 1 at 0/0
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15898] INFO: starting up replication from 8 at 0/0
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15899] ERROR: data stream ended
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [15898] ERROR: data stream ended
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [977] LOG: worker process: bdr (6242981939774453042,1,20650,)->bdr (6242730220644137235,1, (PID 15898) exited with exit code 1
2016-03-30 20:47:28 EDT @: [977] LOG: worker process: bdr (6242981939774453042,1,16386,)->bdr (6242730220644137235,1, (PID 15899) exited with exit code 1

Re: bdr replication

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 31 March 2016 at 09:38, Slava Bendersky <volga629@skillsearch.ca> wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for suggestion how to recover bdr replication.
The short story we have 2 virtual nodes with share storage.

Can you describe the "shared storage" setup in more detail?

In general, with PostgreSQL "shared storage" is a shortcut to "massive database corruption" unless you have extremely careful fencing and STONITH.

Re: bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
Hello Craig,
The current setup is two server which run libvirt and for storage which run glusterfs (storage server feed two virtual servers).  Right now is no fencing in place. Each of the nodes have one  PostgreSQL vm with bdr.

volga629.

I am looking for suggestion how to recover bdr replication.
The short story we have 2 virtual nodes with share storage.

Can you describe the "shared storage" setup in more detail?

In general, with PostgreSQL "shared storage" is a shortcut to "massive database corruption" unless you have extremely careful fencing and STONITH.

Re: bdr replication

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 31 March 2016 at 10:43, Slava Bendersky <volga629@skillsearch.ca> wrote:
Hello Craig,
The current setup is two server which run libvirt and for storage which run glusterfs (storage server feed two virtual servers).  Right now is no fencing in place. Each of the nodes have one  PostgreSQL vm with bdr.

That's a disaster waiting to happen. You can't just share storage like that in PostgreSQL, BDR or otherwise. I'm amazed it didn't fail earlier.

Try to dump whatever data you can recover, initdb a new normal PostgreSQL instance, restore, and set up normal replication. Look into repmgr, pgbarman, etc. Read the manual on replication, backup and failover. Do _not_ use shared storage.

Re: bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
Hello Craig,
Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in  virtual environment ?
Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers and place all vm use local disk on server only.
volga629

The current setup is two server which run libvirt and for storage which run glusterfs (storage server feed two virtual servers).  Right now is no fencing in place. Each of the nodes have one  PostgreSQL vm with bdr.

That's a disaster waiting to happen. You can't just share storage like that in PostgreSQL, BDR or otherwise. I'm amazed it didn't fail earlier.

Try to dump whatever data you can recover, initdb a new normal PostgreSQL instance, restore, and set up normal replication. Look into repmgr, pgbarman, etc. Read the manual on replication, backup and failover. Do _not_ use shared storage.

Re: bdr replication

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in  virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'...  um.    thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition.     these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
In my case  only virtual hosts are use share storage (feed from glusterfs), but actual virtual machines have own separate disks and all  PostgreSQL run on separate data directories.

volga629

On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in  virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'...  um.    thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition.     these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
Hello Everyone,
Is possible recovery from my situation at all ?  I was looking on tool which might will help and only bdr_init_copy.  If possible initialize second node again ?  Also is it good idea enable wal archiving with bdr ?

volga629

In my case  only virtual hosts are use share storage (feed from glusterfs), but actual virtual machines have own separate disks and all  PostgreSQL run on separate data directories.

volga629

On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in  virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'...  um.    thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition.     these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada
Дата:
What's the purpose of such configuration? Doesn't makes sense for me. The only reasonable case where you would want to
putthe data folder on a shared storage is for usage with warm standby, where you can have a secondary server which
servesas a read-only replica, and can be rpomoted to master on master failure.

If you intend high availability, you'd rather try it at VM level, like vmware HA or Proxmox HA. That will make your VM
runon any hypervisor in the group disregarding the failure of some node.

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-1) 3377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe

In my case only virtual hosts are use share storage (feed from glusterfs), but actual virtual machines have own
separatedisks and all PostgreSQL run on separate data directories.

volga629

On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'... um. thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition. these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
Hello Alvaro,
We running BDR where each PostgreSQL vm is a master and shared storage only on hypervisor level.  All vm leave with own virtual disk.  Right now we have 2 server for redundancy  which have shared network between them. Issue that BDR is working right now see log below. And my question how to restore BDR replication correctly.

volga629

In my case only virtual hosts are use share storage (feed from glusterfs), but actual virtual machines have own separate disks and all PostgreSQL run on separate data directories.

volga629

On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'... um. thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition. these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada
Дата:
We are overlaping mails :P

What I don't understand is the need of a shared storage in this case. It would be a lot better to have the data folder
insideeach server virtual disk to avoid troubles with the shared storage; I really see no reason for such configuration
here.

Now, getting into the solution rather than in the problem. I suggest you to do the following:

1. First of all, backup your data folder for both nodes. Just in case. Make backup with postgres stopped to avoid
problems.
2. Choose one node which will be considered up-to-date(Let's say "Node A")
3. Dump your database(s) on that node, excluding the bdr schema on each db. Dump also your globals
4. Wipe or rename your data folder on each node, and then initialize each node. Do not configure BDR yet.
5. Restore your data(backed up at step 3) on Node A
6. Configure BDR on Node A
7. Add Node B to the replication group, using "bdr_init_copy" to make it replicate from Node A.

That should do the trick. There is another possibility: Drop the replication configuration no Node A, and then start
fromscratch(Steps 1, 6 & 7). However, this can be troublesome, as it involves editing bdr & postgres schemas, and that
canlead you to problems on the future, so I'd recommend you the "long" way.

Feel free to ask any question regarding this issue. Looks serious....

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-1) 3377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe

In my case only virtual hosts are use share storage (feed from glusterfs), but actual virtual machines have own
separatedisks and all PostgreSQL run on separate data directories.

volga629

On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'... um. thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition. these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 3/30/2016 10:41 PM, Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada wrote:
> What I don't understand is the need of a shared storage in this case. It would be a lot better to have the data
folderinside each server virtual disk to avoid troubles with the shared storage; I really see no reason for such
configurationhere.

I believe what the original poster is trying to say, his physical
servers have a shared storage pool, but each VM has its own private
virtual disks allocated out of this shared pool, and thats what his BDR
database servers are using.

this should be fine, so its a BDR problem.     how to diagnose and
repair BDR problems.   I have no experience running BDR, so will step
out of this thread (please delete me from CC's).

Re: bdr replication

От
Slava Bendersky
Дата:
Hello Alvaro,
That sound like a good plan. I will trying tomorrow, because need maintenance window.

To do back up I can use something like

bdr_dump -Fp -h localhost -U postgres mydb -f /tmp/mydb.data > --data-only --exclude-table='bdr_*

volga629

We running BDR where each PostgreSQL vm is a master and shared storage only on hypervisor level. All vm leave with own virtual disk. Right now we have 2 server for redundancy which have shared network between them. Issue that BDR is working right now see log below. And my question how to restore BDR replication correctly.

volga629

In my case only virtual hosts are use share storage (feed from glusterfs), but actual virtual machines have own separate disks and all PostgreSQL run on separate data directories.

volga629

On 3/30/2016 8:09 PM, Slava Bendersky wrote:
> Is any share storage technology recommended for PostgreSQL in virtual
> environment ?
> Ok what I will do is going take backups, shutdown both virtual servers
> and place all vm use local disk on server only.

'share storage technology'... um. thats such a vague term, it can
mean lots of things.

each postgres instance needs its own data store, two instances can NOT
share the same files under any condition. these data stores can be
on SAN or NAS, as long the storage is reliable about committed random
writes, and as long as two different servers aren't using the SAME
directory for their data stores.

Re: bdr replication

От
Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada

I'd rather use something like this:

bdr_dump -N bdr -h localhost -U postgres -W mydb > /backup.sql

That's for each database. You would restore it, you must first create the empty database:

CREATE DATABASE mydb WITH ENCODING 'UTF-8' TEMPLATE template0;

(change encoding according to your needs. Run "psql --list" on your current system to see current encoding for each db)
Then, restore its contents:

cat /backup.sql | psql mydb

During restore, you may see some errors due to the backup containing the bdr truncate trigger on each table; it's normal at this point, so just ignore it.

You may need to backup your postgres users:

pg_dumpall -g > /globals.sql

And restore it BEFORE any database with

cat /globals.sql | psql

Backing up and restoring globals may be important when rewtoring databases, mostly to preserve permissions on tables/sequences during each database restore.

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-1) 3377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Slava Bendersky wrote ----