Обсуждение: Setup pgpool-II with streaming replication

Setup pgpool-II with streaming replication

От
Ashish Chauhan

We do have Postgres 9.4 streaming replication in Prod environment, currently we are having issue with our DB connections and planning to implement PgPool-II for database pooling with streaming replication.

Key Challenges:

·         Cannot afford downtime on db servers.

·         Add PgPool-II with current streaming replication.

·         Not planning to use PgPoolAdmin tool.

I gone through below articles but some or other way require DB server restart which is not possible in our case. Could you please provide some documentation or steps how to achive connection pooling without any downtime?

http://www.pgpool.net/pgpool-web/contrib_docs/simple_sr_setting2_3.3/

http://www.wirabumisoftware.com/en/openbravo-developer-guide/postgresqldevtutorial/25-pgsqlid/82-install-pgpool2

Thanks,

Ashish Chauhan

Re: Setup pgpool-II with streaming replication

От
Venkata B Nagothi

I gone through below articles but some or other way require DB server restart which is not possible in our case. Could you please provide some documentation or steps how to achive connection pooling without any downtime?

DB server restart ? Why do you think you need to restart the database ? that can be confirmed if you could help us know your planned architecture and the existing database configuration settings.

Yes, downtime is definitely needed as the Application needs to connect to the database using pgPool port instead of DB port which is something to do with the Application server.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia

Re: Setup pgpool-II with streaming replication

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 9/6/2016 2:10 PM, Ashish Chauhan wrote:
...Cannot afford downtime on db servers...

thats an impossible target in general unless you expect computer systems to run perfectly forever without ever needing hardware or software maintenance.    there are strategies to /minimize/ downtime, such as having active/standby failover, but the simple act of failing over requires a short downtime where your applications are forcibly disconnected from the formerly active database and have to reconnect to the newly activated master, restarting any transactions that were in progress at the time of interruption.   then there's the issues of building fully redundant network infrastructure, as well as redundant pooling.   In my experience, the more pieces you add to a system in an attempt to make it more robust, the more fragile and delicate it becomes.

Re: Setup pgpool-II with streaming replication

От
Venkata B Nagothi

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 3:14 AM, Ashish Chauhan <Ashish.Chauhan@support.com> wrote:

Thanks Venkata for your reply.

Currently, we have two Postgres server with master-slave streaming replication. All application servers are directly pointing to master server only. I am planning to setup new server for PgPool, at the time of divert app server to PgPool, I will pool out application server one by one from Load balancer and point it to PgPool which will not affect our application.

That should probably minimize your downtime. Still you need to change the port number (from database port to pgpool port) in the App configuration, will that not require the Application restart ? I am just curious to know.

Could you pls send me steps how to install PgPool without PgPoolAdmin?

Below link has complete instructions to install and configure pgPool

http://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/tutorial-en.html#install

pgPool Admin is a separate tool which does not come along with pgPool software by default.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia

[...]

Re: [GENERAL] Setup pgpool-II with streaming replication

От
subash
Дата:
Hi Ashish,

could you please help me setting up the pgpool , i am currenlty into same
like u had asked to setup .

I have mater/slave 9.4 and i would need to setup pgpool so that app connects
to pgpool and diverts the connection to new master .

Could u please help me with ur thoughts?

Thanks,
Subash