Обсуждение: libpq and db information

libpq and db information

От
"neil d. quiogue"
Дата:
hello,

is there any way to be able to peer to a database' information (tables and
their fields) similar to reflection in java using libpq?  i know one can
use the \d recursively but isn't there a way using libpq?  i need the
information to properly modify a particular part in radius.

thanks.

[---]
Neil D. Quiogue <neil@iphil.net>
IPhil Communications Network, Inc.
Other: neil@postgresql.org

Re: [QUESTIONS] libpq and db information

От
"neil d. quiogue"
Дата:
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, neil d. quiogue wrote:

> is there any way to be able to peer to a database' information (tables and
> their fields) similar to reflection in java using libpq?  i know one can
> use the \d recursively but isn't there a way using libpq?  i need the
> information to properly modify a particular part in radius.

don't you just love replying to your own questions.  i'm looking at how
pg_dump.c implemented it (through the system catalogue).  unless anyone
has another answer, i'll be glad to hear it.

[---]
Neil D. Quiogue <neil@iphil.net>
IPhil Communications Network, Inc.
Other: neil@postgresql.org

Re: [HACKERS] libpq and db information

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, neil d. quiogue wrote:

> hello,
>
> is there any way to be able to peer to a database' information (tables and
> their fields) similar to reflection in java using libpq?  i know one can
> use the \d recursively but isn't there a way using libpq?  i need the
> information to properly modify a particular part in radius.

    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but to implement
this in some of my code, I just went into the pg_dump.c code and pulled
out the required SQL statement...

Re: [QUESTIONS] libpq and db information

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, neil d. quiogue wrote:

> hello,
>
> is there any way to be able to peer to a database' information (tables and
> their fields) similar to reflection in java using libpq?  i know one can
> use the \d recursively but isn't there a way using libpq?  i need the
> information to properly modify a particular part in radius.

In jdbc, there are methods that allow you to get details about what tables
and columns are present, and their details.

I'm still working on the code to get information about access rights to
the various tables.

All of these use SQL queries, based on libpq.

These are new additions to the jdbc driver for V6.3, due beta Feb 1st.

--
Peter T Mount  petermount@earthling.net or pmount@maidast.demon.co.uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder