Обсуждение: perl/perl5

perl/perl5

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On BSDI, 'perl' is perl4 and 'perl5' is perl5.  This causes
interfaces/Makefile to fail when running perl5/Makefile.PL.

Does anyone else have such a problem?  I don't want to fix it unless it
is a problem for others.

Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

От
Brett McCormick
Дата:
I would consider that to be a bug, not a feature.  Once perl is
installed locally from source, it becomes 'perl' and replaces common
path locations of the old version with itself (/usr/bin/perl).

On Mon, 23 March 1998, at 01:39:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On BSDI, 'perl' is perl4 and 'perl5' is perl5.  This causes
> interfaces/Makefile to fail when running perl5/Makefile.PL.
>
> Does anyone else have such a problem?  I don't want to fix it unless it
> is a problem for others.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us              |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  (610) 353-9879(w)
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  (610) 853-3000(h)

Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

От
dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Дата:
> I would consider that to be a bug, not a feature.  Once perl is
> installed locally from source, it becomes 'perl' and replaces common
> path locations of the old version with itself (/usr/bin/perl).
>
> On Mon, 23 March 1998, at 01:39:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > On BSDI, 'perl' is perl4 and 'perl5' is perl5.  This causes
> > interfaces/Makefile to fail when running perl5/Makefile.PL.
> >
> > Does anyone else have such a problem?  I don't want to fix it unless it
> > is a problem for others.

If you ask a perl4 question on the comp.lang.perl, well, just lets say you
won't be "helped" much. The offical perl position is the perl4 is an
obsolete nightmare that they are all trying to forget as rapidly as possible
and that perl5 is the bright shiny present and future. That is, perl4
is not supported anymore, please upgrade etc...

So, given that it is pretty darn easy to get perl5 these days, it has been
out for a few years with good results, is very compatible with perl4 anyhow,
and really is better for a number of reasons, I see no reason to continue
to support perl4.

Lets just do it. If for some obsolete platforms like SCO or suchlike this
means that they will have to download perl5 and pgsql, so be it. The DB
support is so much better it will be doing them a favor anyway...

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - I realize now that irony has no place in business communications.

Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On BSDI, 'perl' is perl4 and 'perl5' is perl5.  This causes
> interfaces/Makefile to fail when running perl5/Makefile.PL.
>
> Does anyone else have such a problem?  I don't want to fix it unless it
> is a problem for others.

    No problem here...nothing to fix, IMHO :)

Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> If you ask a perl4 question on the comp.lang.perl, well, just lets say you
> won't be "helped" much. The offical perl position is the perl4 is an
> obsolete nightmare that they are all trying to forget as rapidly as possible
> and that perl5 is the bright shiny present and future. That is, perl4
> is not supported anymore, please upgrade etc...
>
> So, given that it is pretty darn easy to get perl5 these days, it has been
> out for a few years with good results, is very compatible with perl4 anyhow,
> and really is better for a number of reasons, I see no reason to continue
> to support perl4.
>
> Lets just do it. If for some obsolete platforms like SCO or suchlike this
> means that they will have to download perl5 and pgsql, so be it. The DB
> support is so much better it will be doing them a favor anyway...

OK, I will leave our code alone.  Our Makefile.PL requires perl5, and
BSD/OS has perl as pel5, so if other people had problems doing make of
interfaces/perl5, I was going to add code to look for perl5 first, and
use perl only if a perl5 binary did not exist, but if no one else has
this problem, it is not worth changing it.

Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

От
Hal Snyder
> From: dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:21:37 -0800 (PST)

> If you ask a perl4 question on the comp.lang.perl, well, just lets say you
> won't be "helped" much. The offical perl position is the perl4 is an
> obsolete nightmare that they are all trying to forget as rapidly as possible
> and that perl5 is the bright shiny present and future. That is, perl4
> is not supported anymore, please upgrade etc...
>
> So, given that it is pretty darn easy to get perl5 these days, it has been
> out for a few years with good results, is very compatible with perl4 anyhow,
> and really is better for a number of reasons, I see no reason to continue
> to support perl4.
>
> Lets just do it. If for some obsolete platforms like SCO or suchlike this
> means that they will have to download perl5 and pgsql, so be it. The DB
> support is so much better it will be doing them a favor anyway...
>
> -dg

I basically agree with this but there is one minor problem with
FreeBSD in that it still inexplicably ships with /usr/bin/perl which
is Perl 4 - you have to add Perl 5 which becomes /usr/local/bin/perl.
If I had total control of all our servers I would just rename the old
perl to perl4 (or delete it!) but I don't have that luxury.

So the FreeBSD pg/Perl install should probably have a tweak to look
for /usr/local/bin/perl and not stumble into /usr/bin/[dead]perl.
Don't know about other BSD's.

Hal

Re: [HACKERS] perl/perl5

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> I basically agree with this but there is one minor problem with
> FreeBSD in that it still inexplicably ships with /usr/bin/perl which
> is Perl 4 - you have to add Perl 5 which becomes /usr/local/bin/perl.
> If I had total control of all our servers I would just rename the old
> perl to perl4 (or delete it!) but I don't have that luxury.
>
> So the FreeBSD pg/Perl install should probably have a tweak to look
> for /usr/local/bin/perl and not stumble into /usr/bin/[dead]perl.
> Don't know about other BSD's.

My idea was to search for a perl5 binary first, then perl, but that
doesn't seem to work for anyone else.  No one has complained about this
yet, either.