Обсуждение: BETA1 Snapshot built...

BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Morning...

    Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...

    I've add a README-1ST file to the top level that is meant to
provide a listing of those operating systems that are supported, dated as
to the last time it was known to do so.  Right now, only FreeBSD
3.0-CURRENT is listed, but I hope others testing it will put in their
"two-cents" worth :)

 Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
Egon Schmid
Дата:
Hi,
just tested on Debian 2.0 and it works.

verlag=> select version();
version
PostgreSQL 6.4.0 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.3
(1 row)

-Egon

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning...
>
>     Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
> ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
>
>     I've add a README-1ST file to the top level that is meant to
> provide a listing of those operating systems that are supported, dated as
> to the last time it was known to do so.  Right now, only FreeBSD
> 3.0-CURRENT is listed, but I hope others testing it will put in their
> "two-cents" worth :)
>
>  Marc G. Fournier
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
> ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
> > > Added Files:
> > >         README-1ST
> > > A sort of 'log' of what operating systems are supported
> > Marc, can you please use the existing file for this? Look at
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/ports.htm
> I'll remove (README-1ST)...

Thanks Marc. So, for this release the drill is the same: it would be
great to have as many platforms as possible regression tested as early
as possible now that the beta1 is available.

I would expect that the last regression test (which involves the rules
system) will fail for almost everyone since the "expected" file assumes
a specific Postgres user name for running the test. I'm working on
fixing that now.

On my Linux/i686 machine, all regression tests pass with that one
exception. As folks have found before, other machines may show an exact
match or may show minor differences in floating point rounding and in
error messages, neither of which are fatal.

Either report your results on the hackers list or send in a patch for

  doc/src/sgml/ports.sgml

and the results will show up on the web site and in the v6.4
Administrator's Guide.

v6.4 has lots of nice improvements, so start testing to make sure you
can use it on your platform...

                        - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
> > ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
> > > Marc, can you please use the existing file for this? Look at
> > >   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/ports.htm
> > I'll remove (README-1ST)...
>
> Thanks Marc. So, for this release the drill is the same: it would be
> great to have as many platforms as possible regression tested as early
> as possible now that the beta1 is available.

    Yup...I'm going to spend some time here getting things working
also, which gives me Sparc/2.5.1, Sparc/2.6 and x86/2.6..

RE: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 14-Sep-98 The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning...
>
>       Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
> ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
>
>       I've add a README-1ST file to the top level that is meant to
> provide a listing of those operating systems that are supported, dated as
> to the last time it was known to do so.  Right now, only FreeBSD
> 3.0-CURRENT is listed, but I hope others testing it will put in their
> "two-cents" worth :)

May be a while.  Transfer rate's below 1K/s !!!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
Thus spake Vince Vielhaber
> On 14-Sep-98 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >       Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
> > ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
> May be a while.  Transfer rate's below 1K/s !!!

Not sure why it is taking you so long but if anyone is having problems
I have copied it to the other side of the T1.  You can get it at

    ftp://ftp.vex.net/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz

for now.  Marc, poke me personally when you create a new beta.  Vince,
I would be curious to see if that improves your download.  If not then
the problem must be closer to you as that site is ethernet connected
to the backbone.

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 14-Sep-98 D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Thus spake Vince Vielhaber
>> On 14-Sep-98 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>> >       Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
>> > ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
>> May be a while.  Transfer rate's below 1K/s !!!
>
> Not sure why it is taking you so long but if anyone is having problems
> I have copied it to the other side of the T1.  You can get it at
>
>     ftp://ftp.vex.net/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz
>
> for now.  Marc, poke me personally when you create a new beta.  Vince,
> I would be curious to see if that improves your download.  If not then
> the problem must be closer to you as that site is ethernet connected
> to the backbone.

I got a note from QualNet a little while ago and it seems MCI had a fiber
optic line cut so things were rerouted (I think they called it "suboptimal
routing" :)     The transfer timed out after about 2 and a half MB.  I'll
try it again in a bit as well as the other site - after things are back up.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
>
>> > Well, as of 00:40EST, there is a BETA1 available at
>> > ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/postgresql.v6.4-BETA1.tar.gz ...
>> > I'll remove (README-1ST)...
>>
>> Thanks Marc. So, for this release the drill is the same: it would be
>> great to have as many platforms as possible regression tested as early
>> as possible now that the beta1 is available.
>
>    Yup...I'm going to spend some time here getting things working
>also, which gives me Sparc/2.5.1, Sparc/2.6 and x86/2.6..

I have sucessfully run regression tests of BETA1 on following
platforms:

OS        Processor
-------------------------------------
MkLinux DR3    PPC750

Linux 2.1.24    PPC603e (*)

FreeBSD 2.2.6    Pentium Pro 200MHz
--------------------------------------
* Running the regression test on 2.1.103 kernel crashes the system. I
heard that this is due to a known bug of the kernel with the Unix
domain socket. I'm not sure about 2.1.11x kernels.

BTW, I see the 6.4 frontend cannot connect to the 6.3.2 backend. I
assume this is normal.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
t-ishii@sra.co.jp

Re: [HACKERS] BETA1 Snapshot built...

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> BTW, I see the 6.4 frontend cannot connect to the 6.3.2 backend. I
> assume this is normal.

Yes.

http://www.op.net/~candle              |  (610) 353-9879(w)
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  (610) 853-3000(h)
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |