Обсуждение: Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Hi,

    there  seems  to be a problem with the relation statistics in
    pg_class. Could someone explain why this happens?

        doc=> vacuum;
        VACUUM
        doc=> select relname, relpages, reltuples from pg_class
        doc-> where relname = 'doc_wordref';
        relname    |relpages|reltuples
        -----------+--------+---------
        doc_wordref|    1099|   136027
        (1 row)

        -- ******** That's right

        doc=> explain select distinct refpage from doc_wordref
        doc-> where refword ~ '^a';
        NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

        Unique
          ->  Sort
             ->  Index Scan using doc_wordref_word_idx on doc_wordref

        EXPLAIN

        -- ******** As expected

        doc=> select distinct refpage from doc_wordref
        doc-> where refword ~ '^a';
        refpage
        -------
              2
              3
        (164 rows)

        doc=> select relname, relpages, reltuples from pg_class
        doc-> where relname = 'doc_wordref';
        relname    |relpages|reltuples
        -----------+--------+---------
        doc_wordref|       0|        0
        (1 row)

        -- ******** Ooops - where are they gone?

        doc=> explain select distinct refpage from doc_wordref
        dos-> where refword ~ '^a';
        NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

        Unique
          ->  Sort
             ->  Index Scan using doc_wordref_word_idx on doc_wordref

        -- ******** Doesn't matter in the same connection, so reconnect

        EXPLAIN
        doc=> \c -
        connecting to new database: doc
        doc=> explain select distinct refpage from doc_wordref
        dos-> where refword ~ '^a';
        NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

        Unique
          ->  Sort
             ->  Seq Scan on doc_wordref

        -- ******** Boom

        EXPLAIN
        doc=>

    Why does the SELECT throw  away  the  information  about  the
    number  of pages and tuples from pg_class? Is this a bug or a
    feature?  If it's a feature, how can  I  disable  it?  It  is
    reproduceable.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Hi,
>
>     there  seems  to be a problem with the relation statistics in
>     pg_class. Could someone explain why this happens?
>
>         doc=> vacuum;
>         VACUUM
>         doc=> select relname, relpages, reltuples from pg_class
>         doc-> where relname = 'doc_wordref';

>         doc=> select relname, relpages, reltuples from pg_class
>         doc-> where relname = 'doc_wordref';
>         relname    |relpages|reltuples
>         -----------+--------+---------
>         doc_wordref|       0|        0
>         (1 row)
>
>         -- ******** Ooops - where are they gone?
>
>         doc=> explain select distinct refpage from doc_wordref
>         dos-> where refword ~ '^a';
>         NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

I have seen the optimizer stop using indexes, but could never reproduce
it, and hoped my mega-patch would have fix it.

My only guess is that vacuum has changed the buffer cache copy of the
pg_class tuple, but did not mark it as dirty, so it was not written back
out when removed from the buffer cache.  When reloaded after the query,
the buffer cache is loaded from the disk copy, and the disk copy has
zeros, because the vacuum copy was not written to disk.

The active code is in vacuum.c::vc_updstats:
    /* XXX -- after write, should invalidate relcache in other backends */
WriteNoReleaseBuffer(ItemPointerGetBlockNumber(&rtup->t_ctid));
   RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);
This should be marking the buffer as dirty and written out the buffer to
disk, so when it gets reloaded, it has the new vacuum statatistics.  It
is also invalidating the catalog cache, so that doesn't get used for
stats.

The code looks fine to me.  I can't figure out why that would happen.
Can you try replacing WriteNoReleaseBuffer() with WriteBuffer() and see
if that fixes it.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Hi,
>
>     there  seems  to be a problem with the relation statistics in
>     pg_class. Could someone explain why this happens?
>
>         doc=> vacuum;
>         VACUUM
>         doc=> select relname, relpages, reltuples from pg_class
>         doc-> where relname = 'doc_wordref';
>         relname    |relpages|reltuples
>         -----------+--------+---------
>         doc_wordref|    1099|   136027
>         (1 row)
>
>         -- ******** That's right
>
>         doc=> explain select distinct refpage from doc_wordref
>         doc-> where refword ~ '^a';
>         NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Attached is a patch to vacuum.c I would like you to try.  I wonder if
dirty pages are somehow never getting written out because of vacuum's
use of transactions.

*** ./backend/commands/vacuum.c.orig    Thu Oct 22 17:14:37 1998
--- ./backend/commands/vacuum.c    Thu Oct 22 17:15:35 1998
***************
*** 1875,1886 ****
          heap_close(sd);
      }

-     /* XXX -- after write, should invalidate relcache in other backends */
-     WriteNoReleaseBuffer(ItemPointerGetBlockNumber(&rtup->t_ctid));
-
      RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);

!     ReleaseBuffer(buffer);
      heap_close(rd);
  }

--- 1875,1885 ----
          heap_close(sd);
      }

      RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);

!     /* XXX -- after write, should invalidate relcache in other backends */
!     WriteBuffer(ItemPointerGetBlockNumber(&rtup->t_ctid));
!
      heap_close(rd);
  }

Re: [HACKERS] Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have seen the optimizer stop using indexes, but could never reproduce
> it, and hoped my mega-patch would have fix it.
>
> My only guess is that vacuum has changed the buffer cache copy of the
> pg_class tuple, but did not mark it as dirty, so it was not written back
> out when removed from the buffer cache.  When reloaded after the query,
> the buffer cache is loaded from the disk copy, and the disk copy has
> zeros, because the vacuum copy was not written to disk.
>
> The active code is in vacuum.c::vc_updstats:

    Your guess was right, thanks. But your solution does not work
    :-(

    I found a way to easily reproduce the error.

         Run VACUUM
         Restart postmaster
         -> relpages and reltuples gone

    I think the simple way of modifying the  tuple  in  the  page
    does not work. I found that catalog/index.c does the same for
    relpages   and   reltuples    in    UpdateStats().    Calling
    UpdateStats()  after vc_updstats() as a quick hack solved the
    problem.

    I'm now cvsup'ing, then I'll modify vacuum.c  to  do  it  the
    same  way  as  index.c  does  it.  I  don't  know  if calling
    UpdateStats() instead is really a good idea,  because  vacuum
    potentially    truncates   files   and   UpdateStats()   does
    RelationGetNumberOfBlocks()  instead   of   getting   it   by
    argument. This might be wrong at that time.

    Let's see what happens when vacuum does it harder.

Later, Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
>     I think the simple way of modifying the  tuple  in  the  page
>     does not work. I found that catalog/index.c does the same for
>     relpages   and   reltuples    in    UpdateStats().    Calling
>     UpdateStats()  after vc_updstats() as a quick hack solved the
>     problem.

    And now I know the way of modifying them in the buffer is the
    only  one  to   succeed.   Doing   it   like   index.c   with
    heap_replace() irritates vacuum itself.

    Sometimes    it's    good    to    check   returncodes   :-).
    WriteNoReleaseBuffer() (as it's name  says)  takes  a  buffer
    number  as  argument,  not  a  disk  block  number.  Thus, it
    returned FALSE sometimes when called to write buffer # 0.

    The attdisbursion is also permanently saved on disk  now.  It
    had the same problem.

    Anyway, the fix is below.

    Patch is regression tested.

Jan

*** vacuum.c.orig    Fri Oct 23 16:47:21 1998
--- vacuum.c    Fri Oct 23 16:41:56 1998
***************
*** 1792,1799 ****
--- 1792,1807 ----
              /* overwrite the existing statistics in the tuple */
              if (VacAttrStatsEqValid(stats))
              {
+                 Buffer        abuffer;

+                 /*
+                  * We manipulate the heap tuple in the
+                  * buffer, so we fetch it to get the
+                  * buffer number
+                  */
+                 atup = heap_fetch(ad, SnapshotNow, &atup->t_ctid, &abuffer);
                  vc_setpagelock(ad, ItemPointerGetBlockNumber(&atup->t_ctid));
+                 attp = (Form_pg_attribute) GETSTRUCT(atup);

                  if (stats->nonnull_cnt + stats->null_cnt == 0 ||
                      (stats->null_cnt <= 1 && stats->best_cnt == 1))
***************
*** 1822,1828 ****
                  if (selratio > 1.0)
                      selratio = 1.0;
                  attp->attdisbursion = selratio;
!                 WriteNoReleaseBuffer(ItemPointerGetBlockNumber(&atup->t_ctid));

                  /* DO PG_STATISTIC INSERTS */

--- 1830,1843 ----
                  if (selratio > 1.0)
                      selratio = 1.0;
                  attp->attdisbursion = selratio;
!
!                 /*
!                  * Invalidate the cache for the tuple
!                  * and write the buffer
!                  */
!                 RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(ad, atup);
!                 WriteNoReleaseBuffer(abuffer);
!                 ReleaseBuffer(abuffer);

                  /* DO PG_STATISTIC INSERTS */

***************
*** 1875,1884 ****
          heap_close(sd);
      }

      RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);

!     /* XXX -- after write, should invalidate relcache in other backends */
!     WriteBuffer(ItemPointerGetBlockNumber(&rtup->t_ctid));

      heap_close(rd);
  }
--- 1890,1904 ----
          heap_close(sd);
      }

+     /*
+      * Invalidate the cached pg_class tuple and
+      * write the buffer
+      */
      RelationInvalidateHeapTuple(rd, rtup);

!     WriteNoReleaseBuffer(buffer);
!
!     ReleaseBuffer(buffer);

      heap_close(rd);
  }

Re: [HACKERS] Bug? relpages, reltuples resets to zero

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> >     I think the simple way of modifying the  tuple  in  the  page
> >     does not work. I found that catalog/index.c does the same for
> >     relpages   and   reltuples    in    UpdateStats().    Calling
> >     UpdateStats()  after vc_updstats() as a quick hack solved the
> >     problem.
>
>     And now I know the way of modifying them in the buffer is the
>     only  one  to   succeed.   Doing   it   like   index.c   with
>     heap_replace() irritates vacuum itself.
>
>     Sometimes    it's    good    to    check   returncodes   :-).
>     WriteNoReleaseBuffer() (as it's name  says)  takes  a  buffer
>     number  as  argument,  not  a  disk  block  number.  Thus, it
>     returned FALSE sometimes when called to write buffer # 0.
>
>     The attdisbursion is also permanently saved on disk  now.  It
>     had the same problem.
>
>     Anyway, the fix is below.
>
>     Patch is regression tested.

Applied.  Thanks.

I am glad you were able to find the actual cause, rather than calling
that UpdateStats function.  Vacuum is too strange in the way it modifies
things, and calling a general-purpose function that calls all sorts of
other functions could be a problem.

Of course, you are right.  I was passing in a block number, rather than
a buffer number.  I checked 6.3.2, and I had it right there, so somehow
I got confused in the megapatch on that item.  I just checked the
mega-patch, and that is the only place I used ItemPointerGetBlockNumber
as a replacement for Buffer.

Glad to see you were able to make sense of the new heap_fetch() syntax
to get the buffer.  The old code was very unclear in these areas.  Now
that it is in the developers FAQ, it should be better.

Pennsylvania19026

pg_indexes

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Sorry to be nit-picky, but is pg_indexes proper English.  Isn't it
pg_indices?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pg_indexes

От
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Дата:

> Sorry to be nit-picky, but is pg_indexes proper English.  Isn't it
> pg_indices?

In proper English, "indices" is plural of the singular noun "index".
In American, "indexes" is also allowed.  (In proper English, "indexes"
is a conjugation of the transitive verb "index", of course.)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"

Re: [HACKERS] pg_indexes

От
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sorry to be nit-picky, but is pg_indexes proper English.  Isn't it
> pg_indices?

    I thought that too. I named it just pg_indexes because Oracle
    has ALL_INDEXES, DBA_INDEXES and USER_INDEXES. I  wonder  why
    I'm  allways  copying those typos when implementing something
    similar to what they have.

Jan