Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] configure and cpp detection

Re: [HACKERS] configure and cpp detection

От
Andreas Zeugswetter
Дата:
>> somehow current CVS configure does not detect that $CC -E is not
>> working on AIX and therefore configures xlc -E as preprocessor. It
>> should be /lib/cpp
>
>Hmm.  We just use the standard Autoconf AC_PROG_CPP macro, and there
>are comments in the Autoconf code that show it's been tested on AIX.
>
>Or are you only complaining about the case of invoking cpp to process
>stdin?  I changed the configure test for that on Sunday; maybe I
>broke something.  Or maybe AC_PROG_CPP is selecting $CC -E for CPP
>because that works OK for reading from a file, but it can't be made
>to work for reading stdin?

Yes, it is only not working for the stdin case, which is first needed for Gen_fmgrtab.sh
to create the F_OIDEQ stuff in fmgr.h

> What does the config.log file show for the cpp tests (around line 1200
> in configure)?

The line in config.log sais:
configure:1241: checking how to use cpp with stdin
xlc: 1501-221 cannot exec program less -eM - No such file or directory

if I unset PAGER the log sais nothing:
configure:1241: checking how to use cpp with stdin

Sorry for the confusion
Andreas

Re: [HACKERS] configure and cpp detection

Дата:
Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas.zeugswetter@telecom.at> writes:
> Yes, it is only not working for the stdin case, which is first needed
> for Gen_fmgrtab.sh to create the F_OIDEQ stuff in fmgr.h

> The line in config.log sais:
> configure:1241: checking how to use cpp with stdin
> xlc: 1501-221 cannot exec program less -eM - No such file or directory

Wow.  $(CC) tries to invoke the pager on your platform?  How odd.

I don't think that what I changed could have broken this --- I just
changed the test that decides whether configure will use "$CPP -" or
plain "$CPP" for cpp-from-stdin.  $CPP is still getting set by the same
old AC_PROG_CPP macro.  Could this have been broken before Sunday?
How long ago did you last run a configure and build?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] configure and cpp detection

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> I don't think that what I changed could have broken this --- I just
> changed the test that decides whether configure will use "$CPP -" or
> plain "$CPP" for cpp-from-stdin.  $CPP is still getting set by the
> same old AC_PROG_CPP macro.  Could this have been broken before
> Sunday? How long ago did you last run a configure and build?

It isn't your fault, Tom. *I* helped with the breakage by changing the
Makefiles to actually use the results of an existing test in configure.
Before, several makefiles had references to cpp hardcoded in, and afaik
nowhere were the configure results used. That broke when I tried
installing egcs on my development system, which seemed to be missing an
explicit cpp.

That was maybe a month ago.
                 - Thomas