Обсуждение: references to packaged versions of PostgreSQL

references to packaged versions of PostgreSQL

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
In light of the recent inquiry about postgresql RPMs, it might make
sense to have on our web page some references to packaged up versions
(or other means of easily installing postgresql) for specific
operating systems.  As an effort to start that, here are some relevant
URLs pointing to the NetBSD package system for postgresql (and some
more general ones).  Note that even though the package page is
retrievable via ftp it is a browsable page.
 NetBSD PostgreSQL package    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql/README.html NetBSD
homepage        http://www.netbsd.org NetBSD packages information
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

Perhaps a page that went something like the following would be useful.
It could be filled in with relevant entries as we become aware of
them, and might point people to relatively easy installation pathways
if they need it.

Cheers,
Brook

Several packages for PostgreSQL have been created to ease the process
of installing the system under specific operating systems.  See the
following documents for more information.

Operating system    Package name
----------------        ------------
NetBSD <ref URL>    databases/postgresql <ref URL>

Re: [HACKERS] references to packaged versions of PostgreSQL

От
Hal Snyder
Дата:
Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu> writes:

> In light of the recent inquiry about postgresql RPMs, it might make
> sense to have on our web page some references to packaged up versions
> (or other means of easily installing postgresql) for specific
> operating systems.  As an effort to start that, here are some relevant
> Perhaps a page that went something like the following would be useful.

Looks great! I'll have a go at it tonight.
Objections, comments, anyone?
---
Hal / hal@enteract.com / webmaster@postgresql.org

Re: [HACKERS] references to packaged versions of PostgreSQL

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Brook Milligan wrote: >In light of the recent inquiry about postgresql RPMs, it might make >sense to have on our web
pagesome references to packaged up versions >(or other means of easily installing postgresql) for specific >operating
systems.

PostgreSQL for Debian GNU/Linux:

Web page  - http://www.debian.org
FTP       - ftp://ftp.debian.org and mirrors worldwide

The PostgreSQL source package (postgresql) produces several binary
packages:
  Section         Package name           [comments]  -------         ------------           ----------  misc
postgresql libs            libpgsql               [libpq.so.1]  libs            libpgsql2              [libpq.so.2]
libs           libpgtcl  libs            libpgperl  libs            ecpg  libs            libpgjava              [not
availableyet for 6.4.2]  devel           postgresql-dev  doc             postgresql-doc

 [the following packages are only in Debian's unstable release]  libs            postgresql-pl  libs
python-postgresql     [does not exist yet]  misc            postgresql-contrib  misc            postgresql-test

The current Debian stable release (hamm) contains release 6.3.2 of
PostgreSQL, as will the currently frozen next release (slink); the
unstable release (potato) contains 6.4.2.

Releases are found in the dists/ directory in the ftp archive.

Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take
heed     lest he fall."            I Corinthians 10:12