Обсуждение: Fixed! PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on AIX 4.3.2: typeidTypeRelid error

Fixed! PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on AIX 4.3.2: typeidTypeRelid error

От
"David R. Favor"
Дата:
I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
is some evil bug in gcc.

I have no idea how to pursue this. For now I will just use xlc.

If anyone wants to try and solve this and needs help, I will keep
the gcc build tree I have and give any assistance requested.

Thanks.

Re: [HACKERS] Fixed! PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on AIX 4.3.2: typeidTypeRelid error

Дата:
"David R. Favor" <dfavor@gate.corridor.com> writes:
> I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
> xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
> is some evil bug in gcc.

... where apparently "gcc" = "egcs-2.93.08 19990214".

I'm not sure about the stability of egcs releases; do you have a
production release there or just a beta?

You might have better luck with gcc 2.8.1 or even 2.7.2.  (I've
been using 2.7.2.2 for several years with nary a bug, though
admittedly I don't do anything with templates or exceptions...)
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Fixed! PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on AIX 4.3.2: typeidTypeRelid error

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, David R. Favor wrote:

> I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
> xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
> is some evil bug in gcc.
>
> I have no idea how to pursue this. For now I will just use xlc.
>
> If anyone wants to try and solve this and needs help, I will keep
> the gcc build tree I have and give any assistance requested.

What version of gcc, and have you tried egcs 1.1.1?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Fixed! PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on AIX 4.3.2: typeidTypeRelid error

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> "David R. Favor" <dfavor@gate.corridor.com> writes:
> > I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
> > xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
> > is some evil bug in gcc.
>
> ... where apparently "gcc" = "egcs-2.93.08 19990214".
>
> I'm not sure about the stability of egcs releases; do you have a
> production release there or just a beta?

I'm using 1.1.1 athome...I suspect that unless you start using C++ stuff,
egcs should be as stable, if not more so, then gcc ... the C++ stuff
appears to be their primary focus, as its totally broken in gcc ..

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Fixed! PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on AIX 4.3.2: typeidTypeRelid error

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
> xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
> is some evil bug in gcc.
> I have no idea how to pursue this. For now I will just use xlc.
> If anyone wants to try and solve this and needs help, I will keep
> the gcc build tree I have and give any assistance requested.

If you would like to start a doc/FAQ_AIX this would be a good thing to
start with...

And if you want to submit a patch for the conditional definition of data
types try something like
 $ diff -c file.h.orig file.h > file.h.patch
                     - Tom