Обсуждение: Lock freeze ? in MVCC

Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:
Hello all,

The following example causes the hang of concurrent
transactions(99/04/26 snapshot).

session-1 => create table tt (id int4);

session-1 => begin;
session-1 => insert into tt values (1);

session-2 => begin;
session-2 => insert into tt values (2);

session-3 => begin;
session-3 => lock table tt;    (blocked)

session-1 => update tt set id=1 where id=1;    (blocked)

session-2 => end;

session-2 returns immediately,but session-3 and session-1
are still blocked

This phenomenon seems to be caused by LockResolveCon
flicts() or DeadLockCheck().
Both session-1 and session-2 acquire RowExclusive locks
by insert operations(InitPlan() in execMain.c).
The AccessExclusive lock of session-3 is queued waiting
for the release of above locks.
When the update operation of session-1 is executed,the
second RowExclusive lock is rejected by LockResolve
Conflicts() and queued after the AccessExclusive lock
of session-3.
The state is like deadlock but DeadLockCheck() doesn't
regard the state as deadlock.

Thanks.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
OK, let me comment on this.  It does not to see this as a deadlock
because session 3 really doesn't have a lock at the point it is hanging.
A deadlock would be if 1 has a lock that 3 is waiting for, and 3 has a
lock 1 is waiting for.

Hold on, I think I see what you are saying now.  It seems the locking
code assume table-level locking, while the new code now has MVCC.  I
better look at this.  This could be ugly to fix.  I look for matching
lock structure pointers in different backends(lock.c), but now I see
that 1 and 2 both are waiting for table tt, but they have different
locks structures, because they are different types of locks.  Yikes.
Maybe I can hack something in there, but I can't imagine how yet.  Maybe
Vadim will have a hint.

[...]

Pennsylvania19026

RE: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"

I think it's a problem of table-level locking(MVCC has 8 levels of table-
locking and even select operations acquire AccessShareLock's.)
Moreover I found it's not the problem of MVCC only.
In fact I found the following case in 6.4.2.

session-1 => create table tt (id int4);

session-1 => begin;
session-1 => select * from tt;

session-2 => begin;
session-2 => select * from tt;

session-3 => begin;
session-3 => lock table tt;        (blocked)

session-1 => select * from tt;        (blocked)

session-2 => end;

session-2 returns immediately,but session-3 and session-1
are still blocked

Now I'm suspicious about the following code in LockResolveConflicts().
        /*        * We can control runtime this option. Default is lockReadPriority=0        */       if
(!lockReadPriority)      {               /* ------------------------                * If someone with a greater
priorityis waiting for the

lock,                * do not continue and share the lock, even if we can.  bjm                *
------------------------               */               int                     myprio =

LockMethodTable[lockmethod]->ct
l->prio[lockmode];               PROC_QUEUE *waitQueue = &(lock->waitProcs);               PROC       *topproc = (PROC
*)
MAKE_PTR(waitQueue->links.prev);
               if (waitQueue->size && topproc->prio > myprio)               {
XID_PRINT("LockResolveConflicts:higher priority

proc wa
iting",                                         result);                       return STATUS_FOUND;               }
 }

After I removed above code on trial,select operations in my example case
are not blocked.

Comments ?

Thanks.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Now I'm suspicious about the following code in LockResolveConflicts().
>
>          /*
>          * We can control runtime this option. Default is lockReadPriority=0
>          */
>         if (!lockReadPriority)
>         {
>                 /* ------------------------
>                  * If someone with a greater priority is waiting for the
> lock,
>                  * do not continue and share the lock, even if we can.  bjm
>                  * ------------------------

You're right Hiroshi - this must be changed:

if we already have some lock with priority X and new requested
lock has priority Y, Y <= X, then lock must be granted.

Also, I would get rid of lockReadPriority stuff...

Bruce, what do you think?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> >
> > Now I'm suspicious about the following code in LockResolveConflicts().
> >
> >          /*
> >          * We can control runtime this option. Default is lockReadPriority=0
> >          */
> >         if (!lockReadPriority)
> >         {
> >                 /* ------------------------
> >                  * If someone with a greater priority is waiting for the
> > lock,
> >                  * do not continue and share the lock, even if we can.  bjm
> >                  * ------------------------
>
> You're right Hiroshi - this must be changed:
>
> if we already have some lock with priority X and new requested
> lock has priority Y, Y <= X, then lock must be granted.
>
> Also, I would get rid of lockReadPriority stuff...
>
> Bruce, what do you think?

This sounds correct.  I thought I needed to have the queue ordering
changed so that row-level locks are queued before table-level locks,
because there could be cases of lock escalation from row-level to
table-level.

However, it seems the problem is that readers don't share locks if
writers are waiting.  With table-level locks, you never escalated a read
lock because you had already locked the entire table, while now you do.
Perhaps we can tell the system not to share read locks unless you are
sharing your own lock due to a lock escalation.

lockReadPriority() was probably added by Massimo to disable this "don't
share a readlock if another writer is waiting" behavior.  While
disabling this behavior my be useful in some cases, but in the general
case may be a problem of starving writers if there are too many readers.

However, it is my understanding that we don't have readers sleeping on
locks anymore, but I may be wrong.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > if we already have some lock with priority X and new requested
> > lock has priority Y, Y <= X, then lock must be granted.
> >
> > Also, I would get rid of lockReadPriority stuff...
> >
> > Bruce, what do you think?
>
> This sounds correct.  I thought I needed to have the queue ordering
> changed so that row-level locks are queued before table-level locks,
> because there could be cases of lock escalation from row-level to
> table-level.
>
> However, it seems the problem is that readers don't share locks if
> writers are waiting.  With table-level locks, you never escalated a read
> lock because you had already locked the entire table, while now you do.
> Perhaps we can tell the system not to share read locks unless you are
> sharing your own lock due to a lock escalation.

There is no row-level locks: all locks over tables are
table-level ones, btree & hash use page-level locks, but
never do page->table level lock escalation.

However, I'm not sure that proposed changes will help in the next case:

session-1 => begin;
session-1 => insert into tt values (1);    --RowExclusiveLock

session-2 => begin;
session-2 => insert into tt values (2);    --RowExclusiveLock

session-3 => begin;
session-3 => lock table tt;            --AccessExclusiveLock               (conflicts with 1 & 2)
       ^

session-1 => lock table tt in share mode;    --ShareLock               (conflicts with 2 & 3)
       ^

This is deadlock situation and must be handled by
DeadLockCheck().

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > > if we already have some lock with priority X and new requested
> > > lock has priority Y, Y <= X, then lock must be granted.
> > >
> > > Also, I would get rid of lockReadPriority stuff...
> > >
> > > Bruce, what do you think?
> >
> > This sounds correct.  I thought I needed to have the queue ordering
> > changed so that row-level locks are queued before table-level locks,
> > because there could be cases of lock escalation from row-level to
> > table-level.
> >
> > However, it seems the problem is that readers don't share locks if
> > writers are waiting.  With table-level locks, you never escalated a read
> > lock because you had already locked the entire table, while now you do.
> > Perhaps we can tell the system not to share read locks unless you are
> > sharing your own lock due to a lock escalation.
>
> There is no row-level locks: all locks over tables are
> table-level ones, btree & hash use page-level locks, but
> never do page->table level lock escalation.
>
> However, I'm not sure that proposed changes will help in the next case:
>
> session-1 => begin;
> session-1 => insert into tt values (1);    --RowExclusiveLock
>
> session-2 => begin;
> session-2 => insert into tt values (2);    --RowExclusiveLock
>
> session-3 => begin;
> session-3 => lock table tt;            --AccessExclusiveLock
>                 (conflicts with 1 & 2)
>                                 ^
> session-1 => lock table tt in share mode;    --ShareLock
>                 (conflicts with 2 & 3)
>                                     ^
> This is deadlock situation and must be handled by
> DeadLockCheck().

OK, I think the problem with the code is that I am preventing a process
from getting a lock if there is a process of higher priority waiting(a
writer).

However, I never check to see if the current process already holds some
kind of lock on the table.  If I change the code so this behaviour will
be prevented if the process already holds a lock on the table, would
that fix it?  In fact, maybe I should always allow it to get the lock if
it holds any other locks.  This should prevent some deadlocks.  It would
put processes at the end of the queue only if they already have no
locks, which I think makes sense, because putting him at the end of the
queue means all his locks are kept while he sits in the queue.

Comments?  The fix would be easy, and I think it would make sense.

Pennsylvania19026

RE: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

It's really a deadlock ?
Certainly end/abort of session-2 doesn't wakeup session-1/session3.
I think it's due to the following code in ProcLockWakeup().
      while ((queue_size--) && (proc))       {
               /*                * This proc will conflict as the previous one did, don't
even                * try.                */               if (proc->token == last_locktype)
continue;
               /*                * This proc conflicts with locks held by others, ignored.                */
  if (LockResolveConflicts(lockmethod,                                                                lock,

proc->token,                                                                proc->xid,

(XIDLookupEnt *
) NULL) != STATUS_OK)               {                       last_locktype = proc->token;
continue;              }

Once LockResolveConflicts() doesn't return STATUS_OK,proc
is not changed and only queue_size-- is executed(never try
to wakeup other procs).

After inserting the code such asproc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);
before continue statements,ProcLockWakeup() triggerd
by end/abort of session-2 could try to wakeup session-1.

Comments ?

Thanks.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

RE: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

I found a problem to get rid of lockReadPriority stuff completely.
If there's a table which is insert/update/deleted very frequenly by
several processes,processes which request the high priority lock
(such as vacuum) could hardly acquire the lock for the table.

How about the following patch ?

Thanks.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

*** storage/lmgr/lock.c.orig    Wed Apr 28 10:44:52 1999
--- storage/lmgr/lock.c    Wed Apr 28 12:00:14 1999
***************
*** 815,821 ****     /*      * We can control runtime this option. Default is lockReadPriority=0      */

!     if ((!result->nHolding) && (!lockReadPriority))     {         /* ------------------------          * If someone
witha greater priority is waiting for the lock,

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> > if we already have some lock with priority X and new requested
> > lock has priority Y, Y <= X, then lock must be granted.
> >
> > Also, I would get rid of lockReadPriority stuff...
> >

> I found a problem to get rid of lockReadPriority stuff completely.
> If there's a table which is insert/update/deleted very frequenly by
> several processes,processes which request the high priority lock
> (such as vacuum) could hardly acquire the lock for the table.

I didn't mean to get rid of code checking waiter locks completely.
I just said that condition below
      if (!lockReadPriority)

is unuseful any more.

Read my prev letter when, imo, we have to take waiters into
account.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> > However, I'm not sure that proposed changes will help in the next case:
> >
> > session-1 => begin;
> > session-1 => insert into tt values (1);       --RowExclusiveLock
> >
> > session-2 => begin;
> > session-2 => insert into tt values (2);       --RowExclusiveLock
> >
> > session-3 => begin;
> > session-3 => lock table tt;                   --AccessExclusiveLock
> >                 (conflicts with 1 & 2)
> >                                 ^
> > session-1 => lock table tt in share mode;     --ShareLock
> >                 (conflicts with 2 & 3)
> >                                     ^
> > This is deadlock situation and must be handled by
> > DeadLockCheck().
> >

> It's really a deadlock ?
> Certainly end/abort of session-2 doesn't wakeup session-1/session3.

You're right again.
First, I propose the next changes in LockResolveConflicts():

if someone is waiting for lock then we must not take them
into account (and skip to check for conflicts with lock
holders) if

1. we already has lock with >= priority (currently, more  restrictive locks have greater priority);
or
2. lock requested doesn't conflict with lock of any waiters;
or
3. conflicting waiter is waiting for us: its lock conflicts  with locks we already hold, if any.

I foresee that we also will have to change lock queue ordering
code but I have to think about it more.

Vadim

RE: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

[snip]

> > > This is deadlock situation and must be handled by
> > > DeadLockCheck().
> > >

> > It's really a deadlock ?
> > Certainly end/abort of session-2 doesn't wakeup session-1/session3.
>
> You're right again.
> First, I propose the next changes in LockResolveConflicts():
>
> if someone is waiting for lock then we must not take them
> into account (and skip to check for conflicts with lock
> holders) if
>
> 1. we already has lock with >= priority (currently, more
>    restrictive locks have greater priority);
> or
> 2. lock requested doesn't conflict with lock of any waiters;

Does this mean that the lock has a low priority ?  If so,this
state(2.) is hardly changed.  When this waiter is wakeupd ?

> or
> 3. conflicting waiter is waiting for us: its lock conflicts
>    with locks we already hold, if any.
>
> I foresee that we also will have to change lock queue ordering
> code but I have to think about it more.

Do you say about the following stuff in ProcSleep() ?
proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(waitQueue->links.prev);
/* If we are a reader, and they are writers, skip past them */for (i = 0; i < waitQueue->size && proc->prio > prio;
i++)   proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);

/* The rest of the queue is FIFO, with readers first, writers last */for (; i < waitQueue->size && proc->prio <= prio;
i++)   proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);

Seems above logic is only for 2 levels of priority(READ/WRITE).
But it's difficult for me to propose a different design for this.

Thanks.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Do you say about the following stuff in ProcSleep() ?
>
>     proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(waitQueue->links.prev);
>
>     /* If we are a reader, and they are writers, skip past them */
>     for (i = 0; i < waitQueue->size && proc->prio > prio; i++)
>         proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);
>
>     /* The rest of the queue is FIFO, with readers first, writers last */
>     for (; i < waitQueue->size && proc->prio <= prio; i++)
>         proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);
>
> Seems above logic is only for 2 levels of priority(READ/WRITE).
> But it's difficult for me to propose a different design for this.

I think this is a classic priority inversion problem.  If the process
holds a lock and is going for another, but their is a higher priority
process waiting for the lock, we have to consider that if we go to
sleep, all people waiting on the lock will have to wait for me to
complete in that queue, so we can either never have a process that
already holds any lock from being superceeded by a higher-priority
sleeping process, or we need to check the priority of all processes
waiting on _our_ locks and check when pulling stuff out of the lock
queue because someone of high priority could come while I am in the
queue waiting.

My recommendation is to not have this go-to-end of queue if there is
someone higher if I already hold _any_ kind of lock.  I can easily make
that change if others agree.

It makes the code your are questioning active ONLY if I already don't
have some kind of lock.  This may be the most efficient way to do
things, and may not lock things up like you have seen.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Lock freeze ? in MVCC

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> > if someone is waiting for lock then we must not take them
> > into account (and skip to check for conflicts with lock
> > holders) if
> >
> > 1. we already has lock with >= priority (currently, more
> >    restrictive locks have greater priority);
> > or
> > 2. lock requested doesn't conflict with lock of any waiters;
>
> Does this mean that the lock has a low priority ?  If so,this

Yes and no -:)

If we acquire ShareLock (prio 4) and someone with RowShareLock (2)
is waiting then this means that table is locked in ExclusiveLock
(or AccessExclusiveLock) mode and we'll going to sleep after
lock-holder conflict test (so, we could go to sleep just after
seeing that our prio is higher, without lock-holder conflict test).

If we acquire RowShareLock and someone with ShareLock is
waiting due to table is locked in RowExclusiveLock mode then
we are allowed to continue: ShareLock waiter will be wakeupd
after releasing of RowExclusiveLock and we don't conflict
with any of these lock mode.

> state(2.) is hardly changed.  When this waiter is wakeupd ?
>
> > or
> > 3. conflicting waiter is waiting for us: its lock conflicts
> >    with locks we already hold, if any.
> >
> > I foresee that we also will have to change lock queue ordering
> > code but I have to think about it more.
> >

> Do you say about the following stuff in ProcSleep() ?
>
>         proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(waitQueue->links.prev);
>
>         /* If we are a reader, and they are writers, skip past them */
>         for (i = 0; i < waitQueue->size && proc->prio > prio; i++)
>                 proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);
>
>         /* The rest of the queue is FIFO, with readers first, writers last */
>         for (; i < waitQueue->size && proc->prio <= prio; i++)
>                 proc = (PROC *) MAKE_PTR(proc->links.prev);
>
> Seems above logic is only for 2 levels of priority(READ/WRITE).
> But it's difficult for me to propose a different design for this.

Yes. I'm not sure how useful is priority logic now.

Keep thinking...

Vadim