Обсуждение: GPL vs BSD licencing - a new twist

GPL vs BSD licencing - a new twist

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
This was posted on the cygwin list (and cc'd to me) about the GPL and
CygWin:

<quote>
If you use cygwin1.dll in your application then your
application must be made available as open source.  The way to avoid
this is to compile your program using the -mno-cygwin option.

If you are only releasing parts of a cygwin release such as cygwin1.dll,
ls.exe, gcc.exe, etc. and you are not compiling any of your own
applications using the DLL then those parts must be made available under
the GPL.
</quote>

How would this affect our Win32 port?

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support

Re: [HACKERS] GPL vs BSD licencing - a new twist

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Peter Mount wrote:

> If you use cygwin1.dll in your application then your
> application must be made available as open source.  The way to avoid
> this is to compile your program using the -mno-cygwin option.

Out of curiousity, is cygwin open source?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] GPL vs BSD licencing - a new twist

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Peter Mount wrote:
>
> > If you use cygwin1.dll in your application then your
> > application must be made available as open source.  The way to avoid
> > this is to compile your program using the -mno-cygwin option.
>
> Out of curiousity, is cygwin open source?

Earlier today I found out that yes, cygwin is open source. However, they
have some similarities with Aladin where cygwin is used in embeded
applications as well.

Peter

--      Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf