Обсуждение: Release on the 15th?

Release on the 15th?

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Are we still 'go' for a beta release the 15th?

Before I pull a latenighter RPM building.....it would be nice to have an
idea.  TIA!

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

Дата:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> Are we still 'go' for a beta release the 15th?

Um ... I'm not ready ...

Couple more days, Marc?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Are we still 'go' for a beta release the 15th?
>
> Um ... I'm not ready ...
>
> Couple more days, Marc?

Say Monday?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Are we still 'go' for a beta release the 15th?
> Before I pull a latenighter RPM building.....it would be nice to have an
> idea.  TIA!

Uh, it's never been a good idea to set your watch by our beta release
schedule. In fact, for purposes of RPM building, I'd suggest lagging
even up to a day or two to see if some immediate problems crop up and
are fixed.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

Дата:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> Couple more days, Marc?

> Say Monday?

I think I can do Monday, but I don't know where Thomas is.  Doesn't
he still want to squeeze in the date/time type consolidation?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Are we still 'go' for a beta release the 15th?

> Uh, it's never been a good idea to set your watch by our beta release
> schedule.

I have found that out, acutally, with the three minors to 6.5.

> In fact, for purposes of RPM building, I'd suggest lagging
> even up to a day or two to see if some immediate problems crop up and
> are fixed.

Well, having been on the other side of the fence, so to speak, WRT the
RPM's, I may be overreacting a little.  I was always aggravated and
annoyed by the long lag (up to six months prior to 6.5) between a
PostgreSQL release and an RPM for me to bang on.  While I could very
well have pulled the source tarball and gone through a conversion from
an RPM installation to a tarball installation, I was not too enamored of
that approach, just to have to move the other way at RedHat-upgrade
time.

So, I got involved in the RPM building process primarily so that RPM
PostgreSQL users that want to beta test (if I was interested in doing
so, I know there were and are more) can have a timely beta to test.
Maybe I'm a little too zealous in this regards....

However, even the packaging itself this go around is beta.  I will want
to have RPM's out there being tested long before a final 7.0 release.
Plus, since I am building on RedHat for the RPM's, I catch build-time
bugs for that OS early.

But, if you feel I should lag a couple of days, I can do that.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> >> Couple more days, Marc?
>
> > Say Monday?
>
> I think I can do Monday, but I don't know where Thomas is.  Doesn't
> he still want to squeeze in the date/time type consolidation?

Okay, let's set Monday for now, and re-evaluate, let's say, Friday, as to
whether we need to postpone a little bit more ...

Re: [HACKERS] Release on the 15th?

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I think I can do Monday, but I don't know where Thomas is.  Doesn't
> he still want to squeeze in the date/time type consolidation?

I'm building to test now. And will be out of town from this weekend
through the next (9 days). I should be able to get the datetime stuff
and Jan's parser stuff done beforehand...
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California