Обсуждение: ...

"Mirko Geffken"
Дата:
Hi,

although this is more of a general question I thought that the "Hackers" might now a better answer for this one.

I am considering a recompile of my RPM installed postgres installation (since I am guessing it was not build using
Pentiumoptimization (and possibly even other optimizations)).

My question is whether anyone has experience with the performance gain of this, or better is it worth the effort?

If it is worth it, does anyone know what optimization level it is safe to compile PostgreSQL with? (I mean -O2, -O3,
-O1000:) )

Thanks Mirko

Re:

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Mirko Geffken wrote:

> Hi,
>
> although this is more of a general question I thought that the "Hackers" might now a better answer for this one.
> I am considering a recompile of my RPM installed postgres installation (since I am guessing it was not build using
Pentiumoptimization (and possibly even other optimizations)).

No, the postgresql.org RPM distribution, for universality sake, is not
built with any processor-specific optimization -- however, the Mandrake
binaries ARE, and are mostly compatible with a RedHat system.  You
didn't say _which_ distribution you are using, however.

You can enable the optimizations in your rpmrc files (/etc/rpmrc), and
do a rpm --rebuild of the source rpm to get processor-optimized
binaries.  You will need a complete development environment to do so,
including the python-devel package and a working C++ installation.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio