Обсуждение: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

Дата:
I would like to see if we can't get some amount of OUTER JOIN functionality
into the 7.1 release.  It seems that the executor implementation should be
pretty simple, at least for the left-join case (which is what people appear
to need the most).  What we are mostly missing is a suitable parsetree
representation plus appropriate handling in the planner.

Right now, the rangetable associated with a query serves two purposes.
First, it provides a list of all relations used in the query for Var nodes
to refer to (a Var's "varno" field is just an index into the rangetable
list).  Second, it drives the planner's construction of the join tree for
the query (all entries that are marked inJoinSet will be added to the join
tree in some order).  I think what we want to do is separate these two
functions into two data structures.  The rangetable list is just fine for
looking up Var references, but it's not sufficient information for
representing multiple types of joins.  A ready-to-plan Query node should
have an additional subsidiary data structure that describes the required
join tree of relations.

The additional data structure could really be pretty close to the raw parse
structure that the grammar emits for FROM clauses.  I envision it as a tree
whose leaf nodes are references to rangetable entries and whose upper-level
nodes correspond to JOIN clauses (each JOIN node has pointers to its child
nodes plus information about the specified join type and any supplied
constraint conditions).  If the FROM clause has more than one item, the
top level of the join tree is a CROSS JOIN node with all the FROM-clause
items as children.  (Note that at least for this case, a join node needs
to be able to have more than two children.)

If anything, this structure should be easier for the parser/analyzer to emit
than what it's doing now.  Notice in particular that ON/USING qual clauses
associated with joins are to be left in the join tree, *not* merged into the
main WHERE clause.  (The planner would just have to separate them out again
and discover which join they should go with, so what's the point of merging
them into WHERE?)

I envision the planner as operating by walking this join tree and
considering plans that perform each specified join.  At nodes with more than
two children (such as the top-level CROSS JOIN from a many-element FROM
clause) the planner will consider all possible orders for joining the
children together, the same as it does now.  Note that this implementation
implies that the user can guide/constrain the planner by writing an
appropriate FROM clause.  For example:

SELECT ... FROM a,b,cPlanner will consider all three possible join orders:(a cross join b) cross join c(a cross join c)
crossjoin b(b cross join c) cross join a

SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join cPlanner will only consider joining a with b and then adding c.

This might be construed as either a feature or a bug depending on your
views about how much responsibility to put on the planner vs. the user.
In any case it seems like a reasonable first-cut implementation; we can
think about improvements later.

Thoughts, objections, better ideas?

One thing I'm not very clear on is how much has been done in the parser
about the ISO rules for visibility and aliasing of table columns in
explicit JOINs.  Thomas, can you sketch out where we stand in that area?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I would like to see if we can't get some amount of OUTER JOIN functionality
> into the 7.1 release.

Great!

> It seems that the executor implementation should be
> pretty simple, at least for the left-join case (which is what people appear
> to need the most).  What we are mostly missing is a suitable parsetree
> representation plus appropriate handling in the planner.

I've already got the merge-join code walking left, right, and full joins
(look for #ifdef code in the appropriate routines). Just didn't implment
the "null column filling", and didn't figure out how to push the
left/right/full flags into the executor. I haven't looked at the other
join techniques to see how easy those would be.

> [...]
> appropriate FROM clause.  For example:
>
> SELECT ... FROM a,b,c
>         Planner will consider all three possible join orders:
>         (a cross join b) cross join c
>         (a cross join c) cross join b
>         (b cross join c) cross join a
>
> SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join c
>         Planner will only consider joining a with b and then adding c.
>
> This might be construed as either a feature or a bug depending on your
> views about how much responsibility to put on the planner vs. the user.
> In any case it seems like a reasonable first-cut implementation; we can
> think about improvements later.
>
> Thoughts, objections, better ideas?
>
> One thing I'm not very clear on is how much has been done in the parser
> about the ISO rules for visibility and aliasing of table columns in
> explicit JOINs.  Thomas, can you sketch out where we stand in that area?

The current code does not do the scoping rules quite right, but it isn't
very far wrong either. I think that the scoping and aliasing can be
contained within the parser code, swallowing the intermediate scopes by
resolving back to the original names. However, if we continue to do it
this way (losing intermediate alias names) then we will be making it
harder for the planner/optimizer to jiggle up the plans, since the query
tree will have already assumed some references. For example:
 select * from (a join b on (i)) join c using (i = j);

is equivalent to
 select * from (a join b on (i)) as t1 (i, ...) join c using (t1.i =
j);

but the parser may already recast it as
 select a.i, a..., b.x, b..., c.j, c... from a, b, c   where (a.i = b.i) and (a.i = c.j);

so the optimizer would have to figure out for itself that a.i is
interchangable with b.i.

(Also, you'll remember that it currently barfs on three-way joins; I
haven't had a chance to look at that yet).

Getting outer joins for 7.1 would be great. Count me in to help...
                   - Thomas

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> I would like to see if we can't get some amount of OUTER JOIN functionality
> into the 7.1 release.  It seems that the executor implementation should be

Just a word of support. Outer Joins are one of the few things that PostgreSQL
misses to really make it big time. If you can help 90% of all cases until the
"real" solution comes in 7.2, there's no reason to hesitate.

Kaki Data                tshirts, merchandize      Fax:        3816 2582
Howitzvej 75               �ben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        L�rdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

Дата:
> I've already got the merge-join code walking left, right, and full joins
> (look for #ifdef code in the appropriate routines).

OK, will look.

> Just didn't implment
> the "null column filling", and didn't figure out how to push the
> left/right/full flags into the executor.

I can deal with the null tuple insertion.  As for the flags, we just
need to add those to the Plan nodes for joins ... but first the info
has to get to the planner, thus we need to fix the parser output.

> I haven't looked at the other
> join techniques to see how easy those would be.

Offhand it seems that left join is trivial in all three join types.
Right join can be handled by swapping the two tables (make the inner
outer), but full join only seems possible with a merge join.  I am also
concerned about whether even a merge join can do right/full joins
correctly, if the merge qual (ordering expression) does not include
*all* the relevant WHERE conditions.

> The current code does not do the scoping rules quite right, but it isn't
> very far wrong either. I think that the scoping and aliasing can be
> contained within the parser code, swallowing the intermediate scopes by
> resolving back to the original names. However, if we continue to do it
> this way (losing intermediate alias names) then we will be making it
> harder for the planner/optimizer to jiggle up the plans, since the query
> tree will have already assumed some references.

How so?  The planner only sees Var nodes, which are unambiguous by
definition: rangetable index and attribute number don't have any
dependency on aliases.  I think the only real problem here is whether
analyze.c resolves column names correctly, ie searching the right set
of aliases, in each part of the query text.  (If I understand the SQL
spec correctly, the set of aliases visible in a JOIN's ON/USING clauses
is different from what's visible elsewhere in the query --- do we do
that right, or not?)

> but the parser may already recast it as
>   select a.i, a..., b.x, b..., c.j, c... from a, b, c
>     where (a.i = b.i) and (a.i = c.j);

That is what the parser currently does, but I think it's actually easier
all round if we leave the ON/USING conditions attached to the relevant
JoinExpr node, instead of pushing them over to the main WHERE clause.

> (Also, you'll remember that it currently barfs on three-way joins; I
> haven't had a chance to look at that yet).

IIRC the barf is directly related to the lack of suitable parsetree
representation for this stuff, so I suspect that we need not worry too
much about fixing that problem.  It should go away by itself once we
nail down a better representation.

> Getting outer joins for 7.1 would be great. Count me in to help...

OK, good.  I think I have enough of a handle on the issues downstream
from the parser.  Are you interested in dealing with the column lookup/
aliasing questions?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> OK, good.  I think I have enough of a handle on the issues downstream
> from the parser.  Are you interested in dealing with the column lookup/
> aliasing questions?

Sure. That's a fun part for me...
                    - Thomas

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

От
Philip Warner
Дата:
At 16:07 25/08/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> For example:
>
>SELECT ... FROM a,b,c
>    Planner will consider all three possible join orders:
>    (a cross join b) cross join c
>    (a cross join c) cross join b
>    (b cross join c) cross join a
>
>SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join c
>    Planner will only consider joining a with b and then adding c.

I'm not sure whether the above is the syntax you plan to use, but it looks
a little too much like:

SELECT ... FROM (select * from a cross join b) as z cross join c

which has a quite different meaning to any kind of outer join, and the
parenthesis, in this case, should not affect the planner choices. I don;t
think that support for this kind of query is implemented, but it could
confuse things a little.

As an aside, while you are in there, I don't suppose you would be able to
implement that above syntax as well? Then, maybe, have a go at the common
cold, too.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

Дата:
>> SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join c
> I'm not sure whether the above is the syntax you plan to use, but it looks
> a little too much like:
> SELECT ... FROM (select * from a cross join b) as z cross join c
> which has a quite different meaning to any kind of outer join,

Huh?  AFAIK they mean exactly the same thing, modulo a few issues about
visibility of columns.  In any case you'll have to take your complaint
to ISO, because that's what the spec says the syntaxes are.

> I don;t think that support for this kind of query is implemented,

Not yet, but it's certainly on the TODO list.  I'm not seriously
thinking about getting subselect-in-FROM done in this go-round,
though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

От
Philip Warner
Дата:
At 11:38 27/08/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au> writes:
>>> SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join c
>> I'm not sure whether the above is the syntax you plan to use, but it looks
>> a little too much like:
>> SELECT ... FROM (select * from a cross join b) as z cross join c
>> which has a quite different meaning to any kind of outer join,
>
>Huh?  AFAIK they mean exactly the same thing, modulo a few issues about
>visibility of columns.  In any case you'll have to take your complaint
>to ISO, because that's what the spec says the syntaxes are.

Sorry, I should have written:
   SELECT ... FROM (select * from a,b) as z, c

which does not do an outer join, and does not imply any ordering.

>> I don;t think that support for this kind of query is implemented,
>
>Not yet, but it's certainly on the TODO list.  I'm not seriously
>thinking about getting subselect-in-FROM done in this go-round,
>though.

Great! If by Subselect-in-from you mean something like what I wrote above,
then it is a major win.