Обсуждение: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
This problem with foreign keys has been reported to me, and I have confirmed
the bug exists in current sources.  The DELETE should succeed:

CREATE TABLE primarytest2 (                          col1 INTEGER,                           col2 INTEGER,
            PRIMARY KEY(col1, col2)                         );

CREATE TABLE foreigntest2 (col3 INTEGER,                           col4 INTEGER,                          FOREIGN KEY
(col3,col4) REFERENCES primarytest2                        );

test=> BEGIN;
BEGIN
test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
INSERT 27618 1
test=> DELETE FROM primarytest2 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "primarytest2"

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "primarytest2"

We're getting this report about once every 48 hours, which would make it a
FAQ.  (hint, hint)

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "primarytest2"
>
> We're getting this report about once every 48 hours, which would make it a
> FAQ.  (hint, hint)

First time I heard of it.  Does anyone know more details?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "primarytest2"
> >
> > We're getting this report about once every 48 hours, which would make it a
> > FAQ.  (hint, hint)
> >

> First time I heard of it.  Does anyone know more details?
   Think  I misinterpreted the SQL3 specs WR to this detail. The   checks must be made per statement,  not  at  the
transaction  level.  I'll  try  to fix it, but we need to define what will   happen with referential actions in the
case of  conflicting   actions on the same key - there are some possible conflicts:

   1.  DEFERRED ON DELETE NO ACTION or RESTRICT
       Do  the referencing rows reference to the new PK row with       the  same  key  now,  or  is  this  still  a
constraint      violation?  I  would say it's not, because the constraint       condition is satisfied at the end of
thetransaction. How       do other databases behave?

   2.  DEFERRED ON DELETE CASCADE, SET NULL or SET DEFAULT
       Again  I'd  say  that  the  action  should  be suppressed       because a matching PK row is present at
transactionend -       it's  not  the same old row, but the constraint itself is       still satisfied.

   Implementing it that way (if it is correct that way) requires   that  the  RI-triggers  check that the key in
questionreally   disappeared from the PK table,  at  least  for  the  deferred   invocation at transaction end. This
lookupis not required in   the immediate case, so it would be  possible  to  retain  the   current  performance  here,
but we'd  need a mechanism that   tells the trigger if it is actually invoked in  immediate  or   deferred mode. Don't
knowhow to do that right now.

   To  fix  it now, I'd tend to remove the triggered data change   check in the trigger queue (where the error is
coming from)   and  add  the  extra  PK lookup to the triggers for 7.1. Then   think about the suppress of  it  with
an immediate/deferred   flag mechanism for 7.2.

Jan

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Can someone tell me where we are on this?

> This problem with foreign keys has been reported to me, and I have confirmed
> the bug exists in current sources.  The DELETE should succeed:

> CREATE TABLE primarytest2 (
>                            col1 INTEGER,
>                            col2 INTEGER,
>                            PRIMARY KEY(col1, col2)
>                           );
>
> CREATE TABLE foreigntest2 (col3 INTEGER,
>                            col4 INTEGER,
>                            FOREIGN KEY (col3, col4) REFERENCES primarytest2
>                          );
> test=> BEGIN;
> BEGIN
> test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
> INSERT 27618 1
> test=> DELETE FROM primarytest2 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
> ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "primarytest2"
>

> --

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
This is Jan's reply to the issue.

> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > We're getting this report about once every 48 hours, which would make it a
> > > FAQ.  (hint, hint)
> > >

> > First time I heard of it.  Does anyone know more details?
>
>     Think  I misinterpreted the SQL3 specs WR to this detail. The
>     checks must be made per statement,  not  at  the  transaction
>     level.  I'll  try  to fix it, but we need to define what will
>     happen with referential actions in the  case  of  conflicting
>     actions on the same key - there are some possible conflicts:
>
>     1.  DEFERRED ON DELETE NO ACTION or RESTRICT
>
>         Do  the referencing rows reference to the new PK row with
>         the  same  key  now,  or  is  this  still  a   constraint
>         violation?  I  would say it's not, because the constraint
>         condition is satisfied at the end of the transaction. How
>         do other databases behave?
>
>     2.  DEFERRED ON DELETE CASCADE, SET NULL or SET DEFAULT
>
>         Again  I'd  say  that  the  action  should  be suppressed
>         because a matching PK row is present at transaction end -
>         it's  not  the same old row, but the constraint itself is
>         still satisfied.
>
>     Implementing it that way (if it is correct that way) requires
>     that  the  RI-triggers  check that the key in question really
>     disappeared from the PK table,  at  least  for  the  deferred
>     invocation at transaction end. This lookup is not required in
>     the immediate case, so it would be  possible  to  retain  the
>     current  performance  here,  but  we'd  need a mechanism that
>     tells the trigger if it is actually invoked in  immediate  or
>     deferred mode. Don't know how to do that right now.
>
>     To  fix  it now, I'd tend to remove the triggered data change
>     check in the trigger queue (where the error is  coming  from)
>     and  add  the  extra  PK lookup to the triggers for 7.1. Then
>     think about the suppress of  it  with  an  immediate/deferred
>     flag mechanism for 7.2.
>

> Jan
>
> --
>
> #======================================================================#
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
> #================================================== JanWieck@Yahoo.com #

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Max Khon
Дата:
hi, there!

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > This problem with foreign keys has been reported to me, and I have confirmed
> > the bug exists in current sources.  The DELETE should succeed:

> > CREATE TABLE primarytest2 (
> >                            col1 INTEGER,
> >                            col2 INTEGER,
> >                            PRIMARY KEY(col1, col2)
> >                           );
> >
> > CREATE TABLE foreigntest2 (col3 INTEGER,
> >                            col4 INTEGER,
> >                            FOREIGN KEY (col3, col4) REFERENCES primarytest2
> >                          );
> > test=> BEGIN;
> > BEGIN
> > test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
> > INSERT 27618 1
> > test=> DELETE FROM primarytest2 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
> > ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "primarytest2"

I have another (slightly different) example:
--- cut here ---
test=> CREATE TABLE pr(obj_id int PRIMARY KEY);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'pr_pkey' for
table 'pr'
CREATE
test=> CREATE TABLE fr(obj_id int REFERENCES pr ON DELETE CASCADE);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
check(s)
CREATE
test=> BEGIN;
BEGIN
test=> INSERT INTO pr (obj_id) VALUES (1);
INSERT 200539 1
test=> INSERT INTO fr (obj_id) SELECT obj_id FROM pr;
INSERT 200540 1
test=> DELETE FROM fr;
ERROR:  triggered data change violation on relation "fr"
test=>
--- cut here ---

we are running postgresql 7.1 beta3

/fjoe

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
> >     Think  I misinterpreted the SQL3 specs WR to this detail. The
> >     checks must be made per statement,  not  at  the  transaction
> >     level.  I'll  try  to fix it, but we need to define what will
> >     happen with referential actions in the  case  of  conflicting
> >     actions on the same key - there are some possible conflicts:
> >
> >     1.  DEFERRED ON DELETE NO ACTION or RESTRICT
> >
> >         Do  the referencing rows reference to the new PK row with
> >         the  same  key  now,  or  is  this  still  a   constraint
> >         violation?  I  would say it's not, because the constraint
> >         condition is satisfied at the end of the transaction. How
> >         do other databases behave?
> >
> >     2.  DEFERRED ON DELETE CASCADE, SET NULL or SET DEFAULT
> >
> >         Again  I'd  say  that  the  action  should  be suppressed
> >         because a matching PK row is present at transaction end -
> >         it's  not  the same old row, but the constraint itself is
> >         still satisfied.

I'm not actually sure on the cascade, set null and set default.  The
way they are written seems to imply to me that it's based on the state
of the database before/after the command in question as opposed to the
deferred state of the database because of the stuff about updating the
state of partially matching rows immediately after the delete/update of
the row which wouldn't really make sense when deferred.  Does anyone know
what other systems do with a case something like this all in a
transaction:

create table a (a int primary key);
create table b (b int references a match full on update cascade     on delete cascade deferrable initially deferred);
insert into a values (1);
insert into a values (2);
insert into b values (1);
delete from a where a=1;
select * from b;
commit;

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
We have to decide how to address this, perhaps with a clearer error
message and a TODO item.

> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > We're getting this report about once every 48 hours, which would make it a
> > > FAQ.  (hint, hint)
> > >

> > First time I heard of it.  Does anyone know more details?
>
>     Think  I misinterpreted the SQL3 specs WR to this detail. The
>     checks must be made per statement,  not  at  the  transaction
>     level.  I'll  try  to fix it, but we need to define what will
>     happen with referential actions in the  case  of  conflicting
>     actions on the same key - there are some possible conflicts:
>
>     1.  DEFERRED ON DELETE NO ACTION or RESTRICT
>
>         Do  the referencing rows reference to the new PK row with
>         the  same  key  now,  or  is  this  still  a   constraint
>         violation?  I  would say it's not, because the constraint
>         condition is satisfied at the end of the transaction. How
>         do other databases behave?
>
>     2.  DEFERRED ON DELETE CASCADE, SET NULL or SET DEFAULT
>
>         Again  I'd  say  that  the  action  should  be suppressed
>         because a matching PK row is present at transaction end -
>         it's  not  the same old row, but the constraint itself is
>         still satisfied.
>
>     Implementing it that way (if it is correct that way) requires
>     that  the  RI-triggers  check that the key in question really
>     disappeared from the PK table,  at  least  for  the  deferred
>     invocation at transaction end. This lookup is not required in
>     the immediate case, so it would be  possible  to  retain  the
>     current  performance  here,  but  we'd  need a mechanism that
>     tells the trigger if it is actually invoked in  immediate  or
>     deferred mode. Don't know how to do that right now.
>
>     To  fix  it now, I'd tend to remove the triggered data change
>     check in the trigger queue (where the error is  coming  from)
>     and  add  the  extra  PK lookup to the triggers for 7.1. Then
>     think about the suppress of  it  with  an  immediate/deferred
>     flag mechanism for 7.2.
>

> Jan
>
> --
>
> #======================================================================#
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
> #================================================== JanWieck@Yahoo.com #

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Here is another bug:

test=> begin;
BEGIN
test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
INSERT 18757 1
test=> UPDATE primarytest2 SET col2=1 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
ERROR:  deferredTriggerGetPreviousEvent: event for tuple (0,10) not
found

> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > We're getting this report about once every 48 hours, which would make it a
> > > FAQ.  (hint, hint)
> > >

> > First time I heard of it.  Does anyone know more details?
>
>     Think  I misinterpreted the SQL3 specs WR to this detail. The
>     checks must be made per statement,  not  at  the  transaction
>     level.  I'll  try  to fix it, but we need to define what will
>     happen with referential actions in the  case  of  conflicting
>     actions on the same key - there are some possible conflicts:
>
>     1.  DEFERRED ON DELETE NO ACTION or RESTRICT
>
>         Do  the referencing rows reference to the new PK row with
>         the  same  key  now,  or  is  this  still  a   constraint
>         violation?  I  would say it's not, because the constraint
>         condition is satisfied at the end of the transaction. How
>         do other databases behave?
>
>     2.  DEFERRED ON DELETE CASCADE, SET NULL or SET DEFAULT
>
>         Again  I'd  say  that  the  action  should  be suppressed
>         because a matching PK row is present at transaction end -
>         it's  not  the same old row, but the constraint itself is
>         still satisfied.
>
>     Implementing it that way (if it is correct that way) requires
>     that  the  RI-triggers  check that the key in question really
>     disappeared from the PK table,  at  least  for  the  deferred
>     invocation at transaction end. This lookup is not required in
>     the immediate case, so it would be  possible  to  retain  the
>     current  performance  here,  but  we'd  need a mechanism that
>     tells the trigger if it is actually invoked in  immediate  or
>     deferred mode. Don't know how to do that right now.
>
>     To  fix  it now, I'd tend to remove the triggered data change
>     check in the trigger queue (where the error is  coming  from)
>     and  add  the  extra  PK lookup to the triggers for 7.1. Then
>     think about the suppress of  it  with  an  immediate/deferred
>     flag mechanism for 7.2.
>

> Jan
>
> --
>
> #======================================================================#
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
> #================================================== JanWieck@Yahoo.com #

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is another bug:
>
> test=> begin;
> BEGIN
> test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
> INSERT 18757 1
> test=> UPDATE primarytest2 SET col2=1 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
> ERROR:  deferredTriggerGetPreviousEvent: event for tuple (0,10) not
> found
   Schema?

Jan

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here is another bug:
> >
> > test=> begin;
> > BEGIN
> > test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
> > INSERT 18757 1
> > test=> UPDATE primarytest2 SET col2=1 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
> > ERROR:  deferredTriggerGetPreviousEvent: event for tuple (0,10) not
> > found
>
>     Schema?

CREATE TABLE primarytest2 (                          col1 INTEGER,                           col2 INTEGER,
            PRIMARY KEY(col1, col2)                         );

CREATE TABLE foreigntest2 (col3 INTEGER,                           col4 INTEGER,                          FOREIGN KEY
(col3,col4) REFERENCES primarytest2                        );

Pennsylvania19026

RE: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

ISTM commands/trigger.c is broken.
The behabior seems to be changed by recent changes made by Tom.
         * Check if we're interested in this row at all          * ----------           * ----------          */
  */          ntriggers = rel->trigdesc->n_after_row[event];          if (ntriggers <= 0)

Regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

> > > test=> begin;
> > > BEGIN
> > > test=> INSERT INTO primarytest2 VALUES (5,5);
> > > INSERT 18757 1
> > > test=> UPDATE primarytest2 SET col2=1 WHERE col1 = 5 AND col2 = 5;
> > > ERROR:  deferredTriggerGetPreviousEvent: event for tuple (0,10) not
> > > found
> >
> >     Schema?
> >

> CREATE TABLE primarytest2 (
>                            col1 INTEGER,
>                            col2 INTEGER,
>                            PRIMARY KEY(col1, col2)
>                           );
>
> CREATE TABLE foreigntest2 (col3 INTEGER,
>                            col4 INTEGER,
>                            FOREIGN KEY (col3, col4) REFERENCES
> primarytest2
>                          );
>
> --

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

Дата:
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> ISTM commands/trigger.c is broken.
> The behabior seems to be changed by recent changes made by Tom.

Hm.  I changed the code to not log an AFTER event unless there is
actually a trigger of the relevant type, thus suppressing what I
considered a very serious memory leak in the non-deferred-trigger case.
Are there cases where we must log an event anyway, and if so what are
they?  It didn't look to me like the deferred event executor would do
anything with a logged event that has no triggers ...
        regards, tom lane

RE: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Дата:

Because I don't know details about trigger stuff, I may be
misunderstanding.  As far as I see,  KEY_CHANGED stuff
requires to log every event about logged tuples.

However I'm suspicious if KEY_CHANGED check is necessary.
Removing KEY_CHANGED stuff seems to solve the TODO  FOREIGN KEY INSERT & UPDATE/DELETE in transaction "change
violation"
though it may introduce other bugs.

Regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

I wrote:
> Are there cases where we must log an event anyway, and if so what are
> they?  It didn't look to me like the deferred event executor would do
> anything with a logged event that has no triggers ...

Oops, I missed the uses of deferredTriggerGetPreviousEvent().  Fixed
now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

Дата:
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> Because I don't know details about trigger stuff, I may be
> misunderstanding.  As far as I see,  KEY_CHANGED stuff
> requires to log every event about logged tuples.

I just realized that myself.  The code was still doing it the hard
way (eg, logging *both* before and after events for each tuple),
but it does seem necessary to log all events if there is either an
UPDATE or DELETE deferred trigger.

> However I'm suspicious if KEY_CHANGED check is necessary.
> Removing KEY_CHANGED stuff seems to solve the TODO
>   FOREIGN KEY INSERT & UPDATE/DELETE in transaction "change violation"
> though it may introduce other bugs.

I suspect it just masks the problem by preventing the trigger code
from executing ...
        regards, tom lane

RE: Bug in FOREIGN KEY

От