Обсуждение: Replication toolkit added to repository

Replication toolkit added to repository

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
I've committed contrib/rserv/ which provides replication capabilities to
PostgreSQL. The code was developed by Vadim, with some script and
wrapper support from myself. The current version has been tested under
Linux only, though I know of no reason why it won't work elsewhere.
Requires PostgreSQL, perl5, and (for a demo gui) tcl/tk.

The current package will replicate one master to one slave, though there
are some hooks already in place to support multiple slaves. I'll add
that as time permits, or others are welcome to dive in and send patches
;)

The package as-committed requires PostgreSQL-7.1 (appropriate because it
is in the 7.1 tree), but the code can be built on 7.0.x given a
different Makefile. The compiled code works with both through the magic
of #ifdef. I've got a standalone Makefile for 7.0.x and earlier, and can
post it if desired. Also, I could use some advice on how to build extra
modules such as this from an rpm-managed PostgreSQL installation. Can it
actually work? If so, where do the makefiles hide?

Have fun :)
                     - Thomas

Re: Replication toolkit added to repository

От
"Dan"
Дата:
> I've committed contrib/rserv/ which provides replication capabilities to
> PostgreSQL. The code was developed by Vadim, with some script and
> wrapper support from myself.
[snip]
>                       - Thomas

How does this jive with www.erserver.com?  Completely seperate projects?
Have you already explored working together?

Many, including me, are chomping at the bit for an opensource replication
ability in pgsql.

Thx, -Dan.

Re: Replication toolkit added to repository

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Dan wrote:

> > I've committed contrib/rserv/ which provides replication capabilities to
> > PostgreSQL. The code was developed by Vadim, with some script and
> > wrapper support from myself.
> [snip]
> >                       - Thomas
>
> How does this jive with www.erserver.com?  Completely seperate projects?
> Have you already explored working together?
>
> Many, including me, are chomping at the bit for an opensource replication
> ability in pgsql.

*rofl*  Thomas/Vadim == www.erserver.com ... what Thomas just commit'd our
first open source version of it ...

Re: Replication toolkit added to repository

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > I've committed contrib/rserv/ which provides replication capabilities to
> > PostgreSQL. The code was developed by Vadim, with some script and
> > wrapper support from myself.
> How does this jive with www.erserver.com?  Completely seperate projects?
> Have you already explored working together?

Actually, it *is* erserver, or at least the parts that fit well into the
current PostgreSQL code base. As it evolves we will open source the
other pieces we can, as soon as we can. Some folks -- probably not all
in the current hacker community -- will have specific requirements that
they will be interested in funding or having addressed on spec, and we
will be developing the toolkit with those as a priority.

> Many, including me, are chomping at the bit for an opensource replication
> ability in pgsql.

This is the start of the toolkit. Hope it helps to meet your needs.
                      - Thomas