Обсуждение: pg_restore options issues

pg_restore options issues

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
pg_restore has some options that are supposed to allow restoring some or
all indexes/tables/triggers/etc.  For example

pg_restore --table

restores all tables and

pg_restore --table=my_table

restores only the named table.  The equivalent short option is -t but it
does not allow restoring all tables, since it requires an argument.  I
suggest that an argument of '*' also means to restore all tables.

Also, if you just call pg_restore without arguments it hangs waiting for
input from stdin.  This is a bit confusing.  I suggest that stdin is used
if and only if the file name argument is '-'.

Re: pg_restore options issues

От
Philip Warner
Дата:
At 22:05 6/01/01 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>restores only the named table.  The equivalent short option is -t but it
>does not allow restoring all tables, since it requires an argument.  I
>suggest that an argument of '*' also means to restore all tables.

Sounds fine.

>Also, if you just call pg_restore without arguments it hangs waiting for
>input from stdin.  This is a bit confusing.  I suggest that stdin is used
>if and only if the file name argument is '-'.

Also sounds reasonable.

I'm working on pg_dump at the moment, so if there is anything else, let me
know.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: pg_restore options issues

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote: >pg_restore has some options that are supposed to allow restoring some or >all
indexes/tables/triggers/etc. For example > >pg_restore --table > >restores all tables and > >pg_restore
--table=my_table> >restores only the named table.  The equivalent short option is -t but it >does not allow restoring
alltables, since it requires an argument.  I >suggest that an argument of '*' also means to restore all tables.

I don't like that; it will need to be escaped with \ or the shell will
substitute the contents of the current directory for the *.

Why not use `-t all' or `-A'?

You should also change the help text a bit:
 -t [table], --table[=table]      dump for this table only

gives no hint that omitting `=table' will restore all tables.

========================================   "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see      God."
   Matthew 5:8

Re: pg_restore options issues

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Oliver Elphick writes:

> I don't like that; it will need to be escaped with \ or the shell will
> substitute the contents of the current directory for the *.
>
> Why not use `-t all'

Because there might be a table called "all".  (Okay, there could be a
table called "*", but really...)

> or `-A'?

We'd need an option letter for tables, triggers, indexes, functions, etc.

> You should also change the help text a bit:
>
>   -t [table], --table[=table]      dump for this table only
>
> gives no hint that omitting `=table' will restore all tables.

Okay, when we decide how to handle it.