Обсуждение: SAPDB Open Souce

SAPDB Open Souce

От
Matthew
Дата:
Slashdot just announced that SAP has released the souce for SAP DB under
GPL.  Not sure what this mean, or what people think, but I thought the
hackers list might want to know.

http://slashdot.org/developers/01/04/28/016220.shtml

http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/develop/dev_sources.htm

Matt

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
Hi guys,

I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
tools/environment.

In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
what postgres can learn.

Gavin

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Matthew wrote:

> Slashdot just announced that SAP has released the souce for SAP DB under
> GPL.  Not sure what this mean, or what people think, but I thought the
> hackers list might want to know.
>
> http://slashdot.org/developers/01/04/28/016220.shtml
>
> http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/develop/dev_sources.htm
>
> Matt

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
> impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
> deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
> tools/environment.
>
> In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
> what postgres can learn.

I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
I say more.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
"Horst Herb"
Дата:
> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

1.) What is wrong with a mixture of C++, Python and Pascal? Nothing IMHO.

2.) The directory structure is probably the consequence of the development
tools (produced automatically). Such a structure can have advantages, too.

3.) I left Germany 6 years ago. I don't know what happened in the meantime,
but at that time (and the past 10 years before that) virtually any major
business and the majority of large hospitals were running on SAP. AFAIK,
similar in other european countries. Complaints about the horrendous price
structure (par with Oracle) - yes. Complaints about crappy user interfaces -
yes. Complaints about arrogant support team - yes. But *no* complaints
regarding data integrity, robustness, and almost no complaints regarding
performance.

Therefore, I think it should not be disregarded too quickly. There is
certainly something to learn from it by studying it; that would be probably
more productive than using the same time just thinking about own design.
(Maybe start looking at their developer manuals, which are *really* helpful
if you want to develop something with SAP).

I can't help it (as much as I admire Postgres, and as much as I like using
it), but I always perceive a certain air of arrogance blowing from this
list - a feeling I don't get from other open source projects. I might be
wrong here.

Regards,
Horst

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

Yes!

You, or better someone who knows SAP DB could tell if it's "probably the most
complete free database system available right now, with much more features
than interbase, mysql or postgresql" as this guy Hemos says on Slashdot.

I remember the same being said about Interbase when it was OSS'ed, but I
still stick to PostgreSQL.

But knowledge doesn't hurt, and as someone pointed out, you can't tell the
quality of the software from the names of your source code.
But it sure makes it a lot more difficult to understand what's going on, I'll
grant you that :-)

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Andrew McMillan
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

OK, I'll bite: you need to say more.

What is it like at handling transactions?  What sort of full-text indexing does it
have?  Can I have transactions within transactions?  What sort of tools are
available for managing database extents?  How compliant is it with the various SQL
standards?  How does performance compare with PostgreSQL and others?  Does it have
an extensible type system?  Does it have an 'internal' language to compare with
PL/SQL or PL/PGSQL?  How well does it scale on SMP systems?  Can I perform a single
query across multiple databases?  What performance monitoring tools does it come
with?

Hell, in a statement like that you don't even indicate if those directories are
so-named within the source code, or in an installed data environment.  Whichever
environment they do apply to, however, I'm sure there are good systems in place for
dealing with them.  And of course C++, Python and Pascal are all languages with
plenty of proponents, so there's no problem with those.

Your statement is so light on utility that it persuades me to download it for myself
and try it - but that is presumably exactly the effect you were after, wasn't it?

Regards,                Andrew.
--
_____________________________________________________________________          Andrew McMillan, e-mail:
Andrew@catalyst.net.nz

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:  > > I downloaded it.  The directories are
> two characters in length, the > files are numbers, and it is a
> mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need > I say more.  :-)
>
> OK, I'll bite: you need to say more.
>
> What is it like at handling transactions?  What sort of full-text
> indexing does it have?  Can I have transactions within transactions?
> What sort of tools are available for managing database extents?
> How compliant is it with the various SQL standards?  How does
> performance compare with PostgreSQL and others?  Does it have
> an extensible type system?  Does it have an 'internal' language
> to compare with PL/SQL or PL/PGSQL?  How well does it scale on
> SMP systems?  Can I perform a single query across multiple
> databases?  What performance monitoring tools does it come with?
>
> Hell, in a statement like that you don't even indicate if those
> directories are so-named within the source code, or in an
> installed data environment.  Whichever environment they do apply
> to, however, I'm sure there are good systems in place for dealing
> with them.  And of course C++, Python and Pascal are all languages
> with plenty of proponents, so there's no problem with those.
>
> Your statement is so light on utility that it persuades me to
> download it for myself and try it - but that is presumably
> exactly the effect you were after, wasn't it?

OK, basically, I couldn't figure out any of it.  I am sure there are
useful things in there, but I can't figure out how to find any of them.
Hopefully others will be better at it than I am.

And yes, it would be good for people to look over the code and see if
they can find valuable things in it.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19026

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> You, or better someone who knows SAP DB could tell if it's "probably the most
> complete free database system available right now, with much more features
> than interbase, mysql or postgresql" as this guy Hemos says on Slashdot.
>
> I remember the same being said about Interbase when it was OSS'ed, but I
> still stick to PostgreSQL.
>
> But knowledge doesn't hurt, and as someone pointed out, you can't tell the
> quality of the software from the names of your source code.
> But it sure makes it a lot more difficult to understand what's going on, I'll
> grant you that :-)

That was my point.  It is very hard to make sense of the code, at least
for me.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I have attached the original message and my reply.  The person was
asking how we could used SAP "to see what postgres can learn".  My reply
was to say that I couldn't figure how how to learn anything from the
code.  That was my only statement.

I did not trash SAP DB.  Seems using their development tools may make
the code much easier to understand.  Hopefully someone will try.

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
> > impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
> > deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
> > tools/environment.
> >
> > In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
> > what postgres can learn.
>
> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I see one of my mistakes here.  The person clearly said "you have to
make it with SAP's proprietary build tools/environment."  I didn't
realize you need the build tools/environment to meaningfully view the
code.  Of course, as someone else stated, the build tools/environment
have been open-sourced.

Can someone confirm that the build tools/environment makes the code
easier to understand?  That would be good, and make it easier for us to
learn from it.

> I have attached the original message and my reply.  The person was
> asking how we could used SAP "to see what postgres can learn".  My reply
> was to say that I couldn't figure how how to learn anything from the
> code.  That was my only statement.
>
> I did not trash SAP DB.  Seems using their development tools may make
> the code much easier to understand.  Hopefully someone will try.

> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
> > > impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
> > > deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
> > > tools/environment.
> > >
> > > In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
> > > what postgres can learn.
> >
> > I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> > files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> > I say more.  :-)
>
> --

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19026

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Horst Herb wrote:
> > I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> > files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> > I say more.  :-)
>
> 1.) What is wrong with a mixture of C++, Python and Pascal? Nothing IMHO.
>
> 2.) The directory structure is probably the consequence of the development
> tools (produced automatically). Such a structure can have advantages, too.
>
> 3.) I left Germany 6 years ago. I don't know what happened in the meantime,
> but at that time (and the past 10 years before that) virtually any major
> business and the majority of large hospitals were running on SAP. AFAIK,
> similar in other european countries. Complaints about the horrendous price
> structure (par with Oracle) - yes. Complaints about crappy user interfaces -
> yes. Complaints about arrogant support team - yes. But *no* complaints
> regarding data integrity, robustness, and almost no complaints regarding
> performance.
   Don't  mix  up  SAP's  application (R/3 today and R/2 before)   with SAP DB. Most of the customers I've seen (and
I'veworked   as  an SAP R/3 base-consultant for the past 10 years) ran SAP   R/3 on top of Oracle.  So  that's  where
the integrity  and   robustness  came  from.  And  I've  got  may  complaints  WRT   performance - but  fortunately
our projects  where  usually   located  in the multi-$M range, so simply throwing bucks into   iron worked.

Jan

Re: SAPDB Open Souce

От
M.Feldtmann@t-online.de (Marten Feldtmann)

Bruce Momjian schrieb:

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've used the open source SAPDB and the performance is pretty damned
> > impressive. However, 'open source' in application to it is somewhat
> > deceptive, since you have to make it with SAP's proprietary build
> > tools/environment.
> >
> > In my opinion, however, it would be worth closely auditing SAP DB to see
> > what postgres can learn.
>
> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

Well, I used to use PostgreSQL and Adabas / SAP-DB and after that it's
pretty much clear now, that there're not so many arguments for
PostgreSQL.

Marten