Обсуждение: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

Дата:
Right now anyone can look in pg_statistic and discover the min/max/most
common values of other people's tables.  That's not a lot of info, but
it might still be more than you want them to find out.  And the
statistical changes that I'm about to commit will allow a couple dozen
values to be exposed, not only three values per column.

It seems to me that only superusers should be allowed to read the
pg_statistic table.  Or am I overreacting?  Comments?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
"Serguei Mokhov"
Дата:
Being a simple user, I still want
to view the stats from the table,
but it should be limited only
to the stuff I own. I don't wanna
let others see any of my info, however.
The SU's, of course, should be able to read
all the stats.

> Right now anyone can look in pg_statistic and discover the min/max/most
> common values of other people's tables.  That's not a lot of info, but
> it might still be more than you want them to find out.  And the
> statistical changes that I'm about to commit will allow a couple dozen
> values to be exposed, not only three values per column.
>
> It seems to me that only superusers should be allowed to read the
> pg_statistic table.  Or am I overreacting?  Comments?
>
> regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

Дата:
"Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho@alcor.concordia.ca> writes:
> Being a simple user, I still want to view the stats from the table,
> but it should be limited only to the stuff I own. I don't wanna let
> others see any of my info, however.  The SU's, of course, should be
> able to read all the stats.

This is infeasible since we don't have a concept of per-row permissions.
It's all or nothing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sun, 6 May 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho@alcor.concordia.ca> writes:
> > Being a simple user, I still want to view the stats from the table,
> > but it should be limited only to the stuff I own. I don't wanna let
> > others see any of my info, however.  The SU's, of course, should be
> > able to read all the stats.
>
> This is infeasible since we don't have a concept of per-row permissions.
> It's all or nothing.

Maybe make statistics readable only by superusers with a view that uses
CURRENT_USER or something like that to only give the objects that
have owners of this user?  Might be an ugly view, but...

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
"Joe Conway"
Дата:
> "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho@alcor.concordia.ca> writes:
> > Being a simple user, I still want to view the stats from the table,
> > but it should be limited only to the stuff I own. I don't wanna let
> > others see any of my info, however.  The SU's, of course, should be
> > able to read all the stats.
>
> This is infeasible since we don't have a concept of per-row permissions.
> It's all or nothing.

You can acheive the same effect using a view if the statistics table has the
user name included.

Joe

test=# select version();                         version
-----------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

create table teststat(username name,stat_id int4,stat_val float, primary
key(username,stat_id));
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'teststat_pkey'
for table 'teststat'
CREATE
insert into teststat values('postgres',1,15.321);
INSERT 1007064 1
insert into teststat values('foo',1,12.123);
INSERT 1007065 1
select * from teststat;username | stat_id | stat_val
----------+---------+----------postgres |       1 |   15.321foo      |       1 |   12.123
(2 rows)

create view vw_teststat as (select * from teststat where
(username=current_user or current_user='postgres'));
CREATE
select current_user;current_user
--------------postgres
(1 row)

select * from vw_teststat;username | stat_id | stat_val
----------+---------+----------postgres |       1 |   15.321foo      |       1 |   12.123
(2 rows)

create user foo;
CREATE USER
grant select on vw_teststat to foo;
CHANGE
You are now connected as new user foo.
select current_user;current_user
--------------foo
(1 row)

select * from vw_teststat;username | stat_id | stat_val
----------+---------+----------foo      |       1 |   12.123
(1 row)

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

Дата:
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
>> This is infeasible since we don't have a concept of per-row permissions.
>> It's all or nothing.

> Maybe make statistics readable only by superusers with a view that uses
> CURRENT_USER or something like that to only give the objects that
> have owners of this user?  Might be an ugly view, but...

Hmm, that would work --- you could join against pg_class to find out the
owner of the relation.  While you were at it, maybe look up the
attribute name in pg_attribute as well.  Anyone want to propose a
specific view definition?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
"Joe Conway"
Дата:
> Hmm, that would work --- you could join against pg_class to find out the
> owner of the relation.  While you were at it, maybe look up the
> attribute name in pg_attribute as well.  Anyone want to propose a
> specific view definition?

How does this work?

create view pg_userstat as (select  s.starelid ,s.staattnum ,s.staop ,s.stanullfrac ,s.stacommonfrac ,s.stacommonval
,s.staloval,s.stahival ,c.relname ,a.attname ,sh.usenamefrom   pg_statistic as s ,pg_class as c ,pg_shadow as sh
,pg_attributeas awhere (sh.usename=current_user or current_user='postgres') and sh.usesysid = c.relowner and a.attrelid
=c.oid and c.oid = s.starelid

);

-- Joe

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
Jan Wieck
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho@alcor.concordia.ca> writes:
> > Being a simple user, I still want to view the stats from the table,
> > but it should be limited only to the stuff I own. I don't wanna let
> > others see any of my info, however.  The SU's, of course, should be
> > able to read all the stats.
>
> This is infeasible since we don't have a concept of per-row permissions.
> It's all or nothing.
   Can't   we   provide  a  view  that  shows  those  rows  from   pg_statistics that belong to the tables owned by the
current   user?

Jan

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> Right now anyone can look in pg_statistic and discover the min/max/most
> common values of other people's tables.  That's not a lot of info, but
> it might still be more than you want them to find out.  And the
> statistical changes that I'm about to commit will allow a couple dozen
> values to be exposed, not only three values per column.
>
> It seems to me that only superusers should be allowed to read the
> pg_statistic table.  Or am I overreacting?  Comments?

You are not overreacting.  Imagine a salary column.  I can imagine
max/min being quite interesting.

I doubt it is worth letting non-super users see values in that table.
Their only value is in debugging the optimizer, which seems like a
super-user job anyway.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > I doubt it is worth letting non-super users see values in that table.
> > Their only value is in debugging the optimizer, which seems like a
> > super-user job anyway.
>
> Well, mumble.  I routinely ask people who're complaining of bad plans
> for extracts from their pg_statistic table.  I don't foresee that need
> vanishing any time soon :-(.  The idea of a view seemed nice, in part
> because it could be set up to give all the useful info with a simple
>
>     select * from pg_statview where relname = 'foo';
>
> rather than the messy three-way join you have to type now.

Sounds fine, but aren't most people who we ask for stats superusers?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

Дата:
>> It seems to me that only superusers should be allowed to read the
>> pg_statistic table.  Or am I overreacting?  Comments?

> You are not overreacting.  Imagine a salary column.  I can imagine
> max/min being quite interesting.

A fine example, indeed ;-)

> I doubt it is worth letting non-super users see values in that table.
> Their only value is in debugging the optimizer, which seems like a
> super-user job anyway.

Well, mumble.  I routinely ask people who're complaining of bad plans
for extracts from their pg_statistic table.  I don't foresee that need
vanishing any time soon :-(.  The idea of a view seemed nice, in part
because it could be set up to give all the useful info with a simple
select * from pg_statview where relname = 'foo';

rather than the messy three-way join you have to type now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > Sounds fine, but aren't most people who we ask for stats superusers?
>
> Are they?  I don't think we should assume that.

OK, just asking.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?

Дата: