Обсуждение: Beta timing

Beta timing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.
As with any volunteer project, we can't hold people to dates and
schedules.  I know he is not done with everything he wants to do before
beta, so we have to decide whether we should push ahead with beta now or
wait for him to return.  On compromise would be to push ahead with beta
now and let Tom slip things in after beta begins.

Comments?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta timing

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Bruce,

I reckon we should wait until he returns.  This way people testing the
beta's get to try the new features Tom will add when he gets back, and
don't have to wait for the next version of the Beta.

i.e. better testing.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.
> As with any volunteer project, we can't hold people to dates and
> schedules.  I know he is not done with everything he wants to do before
> beta, so we have to decide whether we should push ahead with beta now or
> wait for him to return.  On compromise would be to push ahead with beta
> now and let Tom slip things in after beta begins.
>
> Comments?
>
> --

first group; there was less competition there."    - Indira Gandhi

Re: Beta timing

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
I have done ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY at home now, and is currently
being testing in the 10 mins a day I have free to code on Postgres.  It
should only need another bit of testing before it's beta-worthy.

Given that adding primary keys is something that cannot be done at all with
postgres at the moment, without hacking catalogs - you might want to wait
for it...

Plus, given the activity on the list at the moment, it seems that there are
a fair few bugs left!

Chris

> I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.
> As with any volunteer project, we can't hold people to dates and
> schedules.  I know he is not done with everything he wants to do before
> beta, so we have to decide whether we should push ahead with beta now or
> wait for him to return.  On compromise would be to push ahead with beta
> now and let Tom slip things in after beta begins.
>
> Comments?
>
> --

Re: Beta timing

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.
> As with any volunteer project, we can't hold people to dates and
> schedules.  I know he is not done with everything he wants to do before
> beta, so we have to decide whether we should push ahead with beta now or
> wait for him to return.  On compromise would be to push ahead with beta
> now and let Tom slip things in after beta begins.
>
> Comments?

I'm going to commit changes for this:

* Reject character sequences those are not valid in their charset

So I'll be with the postpone of starting of beta.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Beta timing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Wait until everyone is ready/finished with their existing projects ...
this past week has thrown alot of turmoil into several lives that wasn't
entirely unexpected, but sad nonetheless ...

Let's do a poll on Friday evening for who has stuff outstanding left, give
it until Monday for ppl to pop their heads up, and then try and deal with
Monday as a Beta Start ... we aren't in a rush ...

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.
> As with any volunteer project, we can't hold people to dates and
> schedules.  I know he is not done with everything he wants to do before
> beta, so we have to decide whether we should push ahead with beta now or
> wait for him to return.  On compromise would be to push ahead with beta
> now and let Tom slip things in after beta begins.
>
> Comments?
>
> --

Re: Beta timing

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.

You may recall that I also have a substantial amount of work on
date/time issues which I would like to get in for beta. That is partway
done already, but not finished today.

I'm guessing that an additional week (or perhaps more) will be necessary
for everyone (and I would certainly like that too).
                  - Thomas

Re: Beta timing

От
Alex Pilosov
Дата:
(cough)

Could someone look at my 'select from cursor foo' patch...?

tnx
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Wait until everyone is ready/finished with their existing projects ...
> this past week has thrown alot of turmoil into several lives that wasn't
> entirely unexpected, but sad nonetheless ...
>
> Let's do a poll on Friday evening for who has stuff outstanding left, give
> it until Monday for ppl to pop their heads up, and then try and deal with
> Monday as a Beta Start ... we aren't in a rush ...
>
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have heard from Tom Lane that he will be out of town until Wednesday.
> > As with any volunteer project, we can't hold people to dates and
> > schedules.  I know he is not done with everything he wants to do before
> > beta, so we have to decide whether we should push ahead with beta now or
> > wait for him to return.  On compromise would be to push ahead with beta
> > now and let Tom slip things in after beta begins.
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Beta timing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> (cough)
>
> Could someone look at my 'select from cursor foo' patch...?

Tom Lane has claimed that, plus the EXPLAIN patch. That's why they are
stuck in the patch queue.  He has said he will take care of those and I
am sure he will.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta timing

От
Bruce Momjian

> Wait until everyone is ready/finished with their existing projects ...
> this past week has thrown alot of turmoil into several lives that wasn't
> entirely unexpected, but sad nonetheless ...
>
> Let's do a poll on Friday evening for who has stuff outstanding left, give
> it until Monday for ppl to pop their heads up, and then try and deal with
> Monday as a Beta Start ... we aren't in a rush ...

OK, so we are clear at least until Monday.  I will on vacation starting
this Sunday until October 16th.  I will prepare the HISTORY file before
I leave, and will run pgindent/jpgindent after beta starts while I am on
vacation.  Actually, if we don't do final before October 16, I can do it
when I return.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta timing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > (cough)
> >
> > Could someone look at my 'select from cursor foo' patch...?
>
> Tom Lane has claimed that, plus the EXPLAIN patch. That's why they are
> stuck in the patch queue.  He has said he will take care of those and I
> am sure he will.

I should have reported to you that the patch was stuck in the queue
waiting his review.  Sorry.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Beta timing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Wait until everyone is ready/finished with their existing projects ...
> > this past week has thrown alot of turmoil into several lives that wasn't
> > entirely unexpected, but sad nonetheless ...
> >
> > Let's do a poll on Friday evening for who has stuff outstanding left, give
> > it until Monday for ppl to pop their heads up, and then try and deal with
> > Monday as a Beta Start ... we aren't in a rush ...
>
> OK, so we are clear at least until Monday.  I will on vacation starting
> this Sunday until October 16th.  I will prepare the HISTORY file before
> I leave, and will run pgindent/jpgindent after beta starts while I am on
> vacation.  Actually, if we don't do final before October 16, I can do it
> when I return.

Figure that we'll be looking at Nov 1st or later for release, so you have
loads of time to relax and get back :)

Re: Beta timing

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > > Wait until everyone is ready/finished with their existing projects ...
> > > this past week has thrown alot of turmoil into several lives that wasn't
> > > entirely unexpected, but sad nonetheless ...
> > >
> > > Let's do a poll on Friday evening for who has stuff outstanding left, give
> > > it until Monday for ppl to pop their heads up, and then try and deal with
> > > Monday as a Beta Start ... we aren't in a rush ...
> >
> > OK, so we are clear at least until Monday.  I will on vacation starting
> > this Sunday until October 16th.  I will prepare the HISTORY file before
> > I leave, and will run pgindent/jpgindent after beta starts while I am on
> > vacation.  Actually, if we don't do final before October 16, I can do it
> > when I return.
>
> Figure that we'll be looking at Nov 1st or later for release, so you have
> loads of time to relax and get back :)

That still give us two weeks to test the pgindent, which seems like
enough time.  I know Tom wants it to be run for this relase, and I know
the jdbc folks want it too.

Pennsylvania19026