Обсуждение: HISTORY file

HISTORY file

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I've said it before, the HISTORY file really contains a lot of inaccurate
information, not to say nonsense.  Plus, I find the sectioning and sorting
to be pretty peculiar.

So I've tried to give it some better structure, correct the mistakes,
improve spelling, and convert it to DocBook in one go.

Attached is the result (only the 7.2 part).  Let me know what you think.

Btw., the item "Fire INSERT rules after statement" doesn't sound right.
Rules generally don't "fire", to name one thing.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: HISTORY file

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Sorry for the previous empty email.

This list looks great.  As I said in 7.1, I do my best, but need help,
and it is good to get it.  I like the new sectioning and I am sure the
item descriptions are improved.

How do you want to go from here?  Do you want to maintain HISTORY, or do
you want me to keep generating the raw list of items and let you mark
them up?  Or do you want me to keep maintaining it and use your new
template?  HISTORY needs updating with new stuff added in the past
weeks.  How do you want to do that?

> I've said it before, the HISTORY file really contains a lot of inaccurate
> information, not to say nonsense.  Plus, I find the sectioning and sorting
> to be pretty peculiar.
>
> So I've tried to give it some better structure, correct the mistakes,
> improve spelling, and convert it to DocBook in one go.
>
> Attached is the result (only the 7.2 part).  Let me know what you think.
>
> Btw., the item "Fire INSERT rules after statement" doesn't sound right.
> Rules generally don't "fire", to name one thing.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: HISTORY file

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> I've said it before, the HISTORY file really contains a lot of inaccurate
> information, not to say nonsense.  Plus, I find the sectioning and sorting
> to be pretty peculiar.
>
> So I've tried to give it some better structure, correct the mistakes,
> improve spelling, and convert it to DocBook in one go.
>
> Attached is the result (only the 7.2 part).  Let me know what you think.
>
> Btw., the item "Fire INSERT rules after statement" doesn't sound right.
> Rules generally don't "fire", to name one thing.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: HISTORY file

Дата:
> [ mostly excellent HISTORY updates ]

>     * The "pg_hba.conf" configuration is now only reloaded after receiving a
>       SIGHUP signal, not with each connection.

That applies to pg_ident.conf too, no?

> Btw., the item "Fire INSERT rules after statement" doesn't sound right.
> Rules generally don't "fire", to name one thing.

"Execute", "process"?

>   Remove VACUUM warning about index tuples fewer than heap (Martijn van Oosterhout)

It's not "removed", it's only limited to the cases where it applies,
viz, indexes that are not partial and include NULLs.

Overall, it's slightly astonishing how much we've gotten done since 7.1.
        regards, tom lane

Re: HISTORY file

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> How do you want to go from here?  Do you want to maintain HISTORY, or do
> you want me to keep generating the raw list of items and let you mark
> them up?  Or do you want me to keep maintaining it and use your new
> template?  HISTORY needs updating with new stuff added in the past
> weeks.  How do you want to do that?

I think it would be most effective if when a significant change is checked
in, the release information is updated with it.  That way we don't have to
think months later what that obscure log message meant.  Also, it would
give users of snapshot releases an idea of what has happened so far.

I've updated the list I posted up to the 22nd and checked it in.  For the
hopefully few remaining additions I think it's OK to just update both
files, unless you want to do the reformatting.  (I used a program called
"links" to convert from HTML to text.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net