Обсуждение: Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От
mlw
Дата:
Joel Burton wrote:

> [...]

I was thinking about this earlier, one problem with cygwin is it doesn't act
like a Windows program, it requires its own file layout.

Cygwin's purpose in life to to allow basically UNIX centric people to be
comfortable on Windows. It, by no means, is anything that a Windows centric
person wants to deal with, or would deal with if there were an alternative.

Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От
"Dann Corbit"
Дата:
If you have a Win32 workstation...
Look here:
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

Then click on the thing that says "Install Now" (Looks like a black "C"
with a green tongue).

after a small boatload of clicks, you will see a Window labeled "Cygwin
Setup".
Under +All
you will find...+Admin+Archive+Base+Database

Click on the plus sign next to the Database category.

You will see:7.2.1-1  [options] [Bin] [Src] [Package] posgresql: PostgreSQL
Data Base Management System

In other words, they already have an automated installation procedure
for PostgreSQL if you are using Cygwin.

Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От
"Joel Burton"
Дата:

Yes, but you need to choose other packages in addition to PG to get it to
work, and which ones you need to choose aren't obvious. I think, at least,
we could provide some documentation on a straightforward PG cygwin install.

Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> > In other words, they already have an automated installation procedure
> > for PostgreSQL if you are using Cygwin.
>
> Yes, but you need to choose other packages in addition to PG to get it to
> work, and which ones you need to choose aren't obvious. I think, at least,
> we could provide some documentation on a straightforward PG
> cygwin install.

I think a full, proper native version of Postgres for windows that can be
compiled and distributed as a binary with installer is essential.  Just look
at how many people use MySQL for windows.

We should just rip out our own IPC code and replace it with the APR...

Chris

Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От
"Dave Page"

The last time I tried that (coupla months ago) it listed the versions of
the packages in reverse order, so I spent about 15 very tedious minutes
making sure that I have the latest version of all the packages I wanted
selected.

Then I spent an hour or 2 battling with ntsec and initdb on my laptop
(logged onto, but disconnected from the domain). After that I gave up
and went back to my very old release that works fine.

The point I'm trying to make is that if I, as a not inexperienced
sysadmin of both Windows and Unix systems (not to mention PostgreSQL
which I like to think I'm fairly familiar with) has this trouble, what
impression is that going to give the first time user, who's probably
going to go elsewhere at the first sign of trouble?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 9 Mai 2002 01:30, Dann Corbit a écrit :
> In other words, they already have an automated installation procedure
> for PostgreSQL if you are using Cygwin.

Cygwin installer does not handle package dependencies. Therefore:
1) users install all packages at once.
2) upgrading becomes a mess .
3) sofware may conflict. Example : Cygwin Perl and native Perl, Cygwin Apache
and native Apache.

IMHO the problem stems from the lack of package installers the Windows world.
Here is the proposed plan, which boils down to port Debian to Cygwin/Windows:

1) Description of W32/Debian porting

- Port Debian dpkg to native Windows and compile it using mingw. This task has
nearly been accomplished on http://debian-cygwin.sourceforge.net/bootstrap/.

dpkg is a very powerfull package system comparable to RPM on Linux. I don't
know if it is possible to compile dpkg natively under Windows using mingw.

- Create W32/Debian packages providing mingw core executables and libraries.

- Compile Cygwin.dll using mingw. This will enable the creation of a first
W32/Debian Cygwin.dll package. This should be possible using MSYS-1.0.7 and
MinGW-1.1. Again, Cygwin installer is messy, we should get rid of it.

- Create W32/Debian packages providing Cygwin core packages.

- At that point, we shoul be able to have our own Cygwin installer with
dependency checking. There we go:

This will allow to create further W32/Debian packages and tell wether they
depend on  Cygwin or not. For example, we may offer Perl with depency to
Cygwin and  another one with no depency (compiled with mingw). Another
example is Apache : users may be interested in compiling the Cygwin version
of Apache, but they might as well simply need to install the Windows native
binary version.

Also there are a bunch of Windows only programs. Example Dev-C++ or
OpenOffice. We should also package them.

- Create W32/Debian packages for GUI environnement (Xfree / qt2 / KDE2 /
Gnome). Porting has already been accomplised on Cygwin. Even KDE3 is on the
way. See http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/.

User will be able to open a KDE window and execute KDE applications without
hastle. This will allow us to offer popular developement environments (ex:
KDevelop).

2) GUI installer

W32/Debian installation should be performed within a single GUI. The
installation program will give access to all W32/Debian packages at once.
Packages will be available on Debian mirrors.

Basically, there will be two kinds of packages :
- native Windows software (native PHP + apache, native python, native Dev-C++,
native OpenOffice1.0) with no depency to Cygwin.
- Unix and Linux ports with Cygwin dependency (ex : PostgreSQL at first).

All of them will be available within a SINGLE INSTALLER.

So to me, the question is not "How to we port PostgreSQL to Windows" but
rather "How do we package all important software needed", including Cygwin
dependant software and Windows native software.

If we could provide such an installer, this could well be the end of Microsoft
hegemony. Microsoft is a dangerous company violating Human Rights.

Don't spend too much time on porting PostgreSQL to native Windows. This can be
done in two months. The amount of work needed to create a minimal W32/Debian
distribution with an on-line installer is very little for a community like
ours. This would change the history of Windows computing.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE