Обсуждение: Why you should Join W32/Debian to save the world from Microsoft

Why you should Join W32/Debian to save the world from Microsoft

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
My dear friends,

For those who doubt PostgreSQL port is mainly an installer problem, visit
http://fink.sourceforge.net. Fink is a powerfull package installer for MacOSX
based on dpkg and Perl.

With the collaborative help of PostgreSQL hackers, we should be able to
release a single on-line installer for all software needed for the Windoze
platform. See my previous emails on the list.

Packages should be of two kinds :

W32/Debian Native Windows packages
- dpkg,
- cygwin,
- apache,
- python,
- pgAdmin2 ,
- perl,
- dev-c++,
- openoffice,
- CVS,
- diff,
- WinCVS.

W32/Debian cygwin packages
- KDE2(3?),
- Gnome2,
- PostgreSQL,
- and event MySQL (then we will see which is the "fastest" my friends).

When this is achieved, this will always be possible to port PostgreSQL to
native Windows. And then release a new W32/package that will integrate
smoothly in the framework without hastle. Without dependency problem or
conflict.

This will give the stong user base needed to outperform Windows hegemony and
put an end to Microsoft violating Human Rights.

Help needed, any candidates?
Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE

Re: Why you should Join W32/Debian to save the world from Microsoft

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:53:33AM +0200, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> For those who doubt PostgreSQL port is mainly an installer problem, visit
> http://fink.sourceforge.net. Fink is a powerfull package installer for MacOSX
> based on dpkg and Perl.

That's a different installer over a Unixoid operating system, so it doesn't
really prove that the only problem is the installer, does it?

Ross

Re: Why you should Join W32/Debian to save the world from Microsoft

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 9 Mai 2002 17:35, Ross J. Reedstrom a écrit :
> That's a different installer over a Unixoid operating system, so it doesn't
> really prove that the only problem is the installer, does it?

There are three different issues :
1- package installer providing a minimal Cygwin version (other than Cygwin.exe
which does not work well),
2- a nice Windows GUI (like pgAdmin2),
3- Windows port of PostgreSQL.

1 can be achived easily.
2 already exsts thank to Dave Page.
3 can wait until we hit the market with 1 and 2.
This will give us more feedback.

So, the only problem remaining is the installer. Is anyone interested in
helping me releasing a W32/Debian Cygwin package?
Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE