Обсуждение: Use of /etc/services?

Use of /etc/services?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
specified?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> specified?

Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Curt Sampson
Дата:
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > specified?
>
> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?

NetBSD will be, as of 1.7, though the 1.7 release is a while away yet.
(Sorry, I didn't find out about this in time to get it into for 1.6,
which is just about to be released.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > > specified?
> >
> > Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?
>
> NetBSD will be, as of 1.7, though the 1.7 release is a while away yet.
> (Sorry, I didn't find out about this in time to get it into for 1.6,
> which is just about to be released.)

Sure, then let's start using getservbyname(), if it works.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
FreeBSD

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > specified?
>
> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?
>
> --

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
I see PostgreSQL in /etc/services on an upgraded Redhat Linux 7.3 system.
Don't think it was me adding it since I didn't have PG running on the
system.

Rod
--         Please don't tell my mother I'm a System Administrator.                 She thinks I play piano in a
bordello.

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
NunoACHenriques
Дата:
Hi!
Mandrake Linux release 8.1 also and without postgres rpms installed.

[nach@golfinho ~]$ cat /etc/services | grep 5432
#        5432-5434  Unassigned
postgres        5432/tcp                        # POSTGRES
postgres        5432/udp                        # POSTGRES

--     o__        Bem haja,   _.>/ _            NunoACHenriques  (_) \(_)            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://students.fct.unl.pt/users/nuno/

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>I see PostgreSQL in /etc/services on an upgraded Redhat Linux 7.3 system.
>Don't think it was me adding it since I didn't have PG running on the
>system.
>

>Rod

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
Debian "woody" (to be 3.0 RSN . . . or something) has this in
/etc/services:

postgres        5432/tcp                        # POSTGRES
postgres        5432/udp                        # POSTGRES

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Michael Alan Dorman
Дата:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > specified?
> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?

Debian GNU/Linux is, or at least will be for the imminent 3.0 release.

Mike.

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 10:55, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > > specified?
> > Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?
>
> Debian GNU/Linux is, or at least will be for the imminent 3.0 release.
It's in FreeBSD 4-STABLE, and definitely in 4.6-RELEASE which is due out
tomorrow. (or shortly thereafter).

> Mike.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
NunoACHenriques writes:

>     Mandrake Linux release 8.1 also and without postgres rpms installed.
>
> [nach@golfinho ~]$ cat /etc/services | grep 5432
> #        5432-5434  Unassigned
> postgres        5432/tcp                        # POSTGRES
> postgres        5432/udp                        # POSTGRES

This is inconsistent with the official IANA assignment which reads

postgresql      5432/tcp        # PostgreSQL Database
postqresql      5432/udp        # PostgreSQL Database
#                          Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

(The spelling might have been fixed by now.)

You should probably file a bug report for your OS.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Sure, then let's start using getservbyname(), if it works.

One thing that had occurred to me is that this probably doesn't work in
Java, so you couldn't do configure --with-pgport=postgresql.  That reduces
the potential value a lot.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
rise
Дата:
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > specified?
>
> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?

SuSE 8.0:

postgresql    5432/tcp    # PostgreSQL Database
postqresql    5432/udp    # PostgreSQL Database

I'll check OpenBSD 3.1 when I'm done installing.

--
Jonathan Conway                              rise@knavery.net
history is paling & my surge protection failed, & so I FRIED                    - Concrete Blonde, "Fried"

Re: Use of /etc/services?

Дата:
rise <rise@knavery.net> writes:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?

> SuSE 8.0:

> postgresql    5432/tcp    # PostgreSQL Database
> postqresql    5432/udp    # PostgreSQL Database

Mph, complete with the typo in the UDP entry.  Hang onto that, it'll
be a collector's item someday ;-)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Bruce Momjian
Tom Lane wrote:
> rise <rise@knavery.net> writes:
> > On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?
>
> > SuSE 8.0:
>
> > postgresql    5432/tcp    # PostgreSQL Database
> > postqresql    5432/udp    # PostgreSQL Database
>
> Mph, complete with the typo in the UDP entry.  Hang onto that, it'll
> be a collector's item someday ;-)

Isn't Suse centralizing development for the new UnitedLinux2?  Guess Red
Hat doesn't have much to worry about.  ;-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> This is inconsistent with the official IANA assignment which reads

Thanks.  I'll update my services file and check all those I come into
contact with.  I'll check if a new install if Redhat 7.3 has the correct
entries this weekend.

> postgresql      5432/tcp        # PostgreSQL Database
> postqresql      5432/udp        # PostgreSQL Database
> #                          Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>
> (The spelling might have been fixed by now.)

It is corrected.

> You should probably file a bug report for your OS.

Interesting.  I've never done this before.  Most of the problems like this
I see after someone else has repored them.  Maybe I'll get my 5 minutes
of fame.

Cheers,
Rod
--         Please don't tell my mother I'm a System Administrator.                 She thinks I play piano in a
bordello.

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Ettore Simone
Дата:
SuSE Linux 8.0

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 07:41, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Since we now have an official entry in /etc/services, shouldn't we be able
> > to make use of it, by using getservbyname() if a nonnumeric port number is
> > specified?
>
> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?
>
> --

> http://archives.postgresql.org

--
Ettore Simone
SuSE Linux srl                          Cel. +39 348 4904011

Via Montanara, 26                       Tel. +39 059 5395 41
41051 Castelnuovo R. (MO)               Fax  +39 059 5332009

Via Proust, 40                          Tel. +39 06 50514545
00143 Roma

Re: Use of /etc/services?

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> Is any OS actually shipping us in /etc/services?

It's right here in SuSE Linux 8.0. It was not in 7.3, so maybe it's
officially included from now on.