Обсуждение: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Hi guys,

If you apply the pg_stat_reset() function patch you get this regression
failure.  Is this because it's returning a bool I guess?  Shall I just fix
the regression test to exclude this function?

Chris

*** ./expected/opr_sanity.out   Fri Jul 19 07:11:32 2002
--- ./results/opr_sanity.out    Fri Aug  9 13:26:00 2002
***************
*** 27,34 ****       AND p1.proname !~ 'costestimate$'       AND p1.proname != 'update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group';  oid |
proname
! -----+---------
! (0 rows)
 -- Look for conflicting proc definitions (same names and input datatypes). -- (This test should be dead code now that
wehave the unique index

--- 27,35 ----       AND p1.proname !~ 'costestimate$'       AND p1.proname != 'update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group';  oid  |
proname
! ------+---------------
!  2249 | pg_stat_reset
! (1 row)
 -- Look for conflicting proc definitions (same names and input datatypes). -- (This test should be dead code now that
wehave the unique index

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

Дата:
> If you apply the pg_stat_reset() function patch you get this regression
> failure.  Is this because it's returning a bool I guess?  Shall I just fix
> the regression test to exclude this function?

No, you should fix the function definition.  The sanity checks are there
for a reason.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> If you apply the pg_stat_reset() function patch you get this regression
> failure.  Is this because it's returning a bool I guess?  Shall I just fix
> the regression test to exclude this function?

>         AND p1.proname != 'update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group';>    oid  |    proname> ! ------+---------------> !  2249 |
pg_stat_reset>! (1 row)

Likely because this is now in CVS:

DATA(insert OID = 2249 ( record        PGNSP PGUID  4 t p t \054 0 0
oidin oidout          i p f 0 -1 0 _null_ _null_ ));
#define RECORDOID               2249

The Oids conflict.

Joe

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Hang on - I _can't_ fix the function defiition - it returns a bool and
that's why it's failing.  I can't have it returning a void because it's not
possible.  Check list of all other excluded functions as well...

Chris

> > If you apply the pg_stat_reset() function patch you get this regression
> > failure.  Is this because it's returning a bool I guess?  Shall I just
fix
> > the regression test to exclude this function?
>
> No, you should fix the function definition.  The sanity checks are there
> for a reason.
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Ah doh - I thought it was catching it returning a boolean.  I'll fix and
resubmit.

Chris

> > If you apply the pg_stat_reset() function patch you get this regression
> > failure.  Is this because it's returning a bool I guess?  Shall I just
fix
> > the regression test to exclude this function?
>

>  >         AND p1.proname != 'update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group';
>  >    oid  |    proname
>  > ! ------+---------------
>  > !  2249 | pg_stat_reset
>  > ! (1 row)
>
> Likely because this is now in CVS:
>
> DATA(insert OID = 2249 ( record        PGNSP PGUID  4 t p t \054 0 0
> oidin oidout          i p f 0 -1 0 _null_ _null_ ));
> #define RECORDOID               2249
>
> The Oids conflict.
>
> Joe

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

Дата:
> Ah doh - I thought it was catching it returning a boolean.  I'll fix and
> resubmit.

Unfortunately I don't believe Joe's theory --- an OID conflict between
pg_proc and pg_type shouldn't matter, and in any case the particular
sanity check that's failing is not looking at pg_type:

-- Look for illegal values in pg_proc fields.
-- NOTE: currently there are a few pg_proc entries that have prorettype = 0.
-- Someday that ought to be cleaned up.
SELECT p1.oid, p1.proname
FROM pg_proc as p1
WHERE (p1.prolang = 0 OR p1.prorettype = 0 OR      p1.pronargs < 0 OR p1.pronargs > 16)AND p1.proname !~
'^pl[^_]+_call_handler$'ANDp1.proname !~ '^RI_FKey_'AND p1.proname !~ 'costestimate$'AND p1.proname !=
'update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group';

The pg_stat_reset definition I see in Chris' "round 3" patch does not
look like it should trigger this test.  (I had misremembered the
previous discussion to think that he'd set prorettype = 0, but he
didn't.)  So what's going wrong exactly?  It needs investigation.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
Joe Conway
Tom Lane wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't believe Joe's theory --- an OID conflict between
> pg_proc and pg_type shouldn't matter, and in any case the particular
> sanity check that's failing is not looking at pg_type:

I guess I should know better than to jump to a conclusion. But I *was*
under the impression we were supposed to use the unused_oids script to
get a unique oid for a new function.

> -- Look for illegal values in pg_proc fields.
> -- NOTE: currently there are a few pg_proc entries that have prorettype = 0.
> -- Someday that ought to be cleaned up.
> SELECT p1.oid, p1.proname
> FROM pg_proc as p1
> WHERE (p1.prolang = 0 OR p1.prorettype = 0 OR
>        p1.pronargs < 0 OR p1.pronargs > 16)
>     AND p1.proname !~ '^pl[^_]+_call_handler$'
>     AND p1.proname !~ '^RI_FKey_'
>     AND p1.proname !~ 'costestimate$'
>     AND p1.proname != 'update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group';
>
> The pg_stat_reset definition I see in Chris' "round 3" patch does not
> look like it should trigger this test.  (I had misremembered the
> previous discussion to think that he'd set prorettype = 0, but he
> didn't.)  So what's going wrong exactly?  It needs investigation.

Actually, I don't see the regression failure here at all, now that I try
the patch.

Joe

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> I guess I should know better than to jump to a conclusion. But I *was*
> under the impression we were supposed to use the unused_oids script to
> get a unique oid for a new function.

Right, we do still insist that all hand-assigned OIDs be distinct, but
that is a matter of bookkeeping simplicity and possible debugging
advantage.  The system should only care that the OIDs in any one catalog
are unique.  (If it were to assume more, we'd have trouble after OID
wraparound, because we can't guarantee database-wide uniqueness then.
We *can* guarantee per-table uniqueness, by means of unique indexes
placed on OIDs --- you'll notice all the catalogs that use OIDs have
such indexes.)

> Actually, I don't see the regression failure here at all, now that I try
> the patch.

Hmm.  Maybe Chris just needs a make clean/rebuild/etc?
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> > I guess I should know better than to jump to a conclusion. But I *was*
> > under the impression we were supposed to use the unused_oids script to
> > get a unique oid for a new function.

unique_oids script????

Chris

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> unique_oids script????

Look in src/include/catalog. You'll find duplicate_oids & unused_oids
shell scripts.

Joe

Re: pg_stat_reset() weirdness

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Can I have the updated version of this?

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Ah doh - I thought it was catching it returning a boolean.  I'll fix and
> resubmit.
>
> Chris

Pennsylvania19073