Обсуждение: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
I was just testing my product running on a 7.3 snapshot from a few days
ago.  And I ran into the following change in behavior that I consider a
bug.  You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
cast.  Small values (in the int range work fine though).

On 7.3 I get:

files=# create table test (cola bigint);
CREATE
files=# insert into test values (9999999999);
ERROR:  column "cola" is of type 'bigint' but expression is of type
'double precision'   You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

On 7.2.1 this works correctly:

files=# create table test (cola bigint);
CREATE
files=# insert into test values (9999999999);
INSERT 108683 1

thanks,
--Barry

Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

От
Greg Copeland
Дата:
Dang it...meant to mention that the other day when I was working on
those python patches.  I had to place tick marks (single quote) around
the number and it was converted correctly.

gcope=# insert into a values ( 9999999999 ) ;
ERROR:  column "a" is of type 'bigint' but expression is of type 'double
precision'You will need to rewrite or cast the expression
gcope=# insert into a values ( '9999999999' ) ;
INSERT 25115 1

Greg

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 20:03, Barry Lind wrote:
> I was just testing my product running on a 7.3 snapshot from a few days
> ago.  And I ran into the following change in behavior that I consider a
> bug.  You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
> cast.  Small values (in the int range work fine though).
>
> On 7.3 I get:
>
> files=# create table test (cola bigint);
> CREATE
> files=# insert into test values (9999999999);
> ERROR:  column "cola" is of type 'bigint' but expression is of type
> 'double precision'
>     You will need to rewrite or cast the expression
>
> On 7.2.1 this works correctly:
>
> files=# create table test (cola bigint);
> CREATE
> files=# insert into test values (9999999999);
> INSERT 108683 1
>
> thanks,
> --Barry

Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

Дата:
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
> cast.

This seems to be fallout from the move to tighten up implicit coercions
(cf http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00528.php
as well as lots of earlier discussions).

I said right along that this topic needed more debate, but we haven't
gotten back to looking at it.  We have a number of other nasty behaviors
in current sources that trace back to altering the set of available
coercions.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Then shouldn't this appear on the "Open 7.3 issues" list that has been
circulating around?  This seems like an open issue to me, that needs to
be addressed before 7.3 ships.

--Barry

Tom Lane wrote:

>Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
>

>>You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
>>cast.
>>

>This seems to be fallout from the move to tighten up implicit coercions
>(cf http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00528.php
>as well as lots of earlier discussions).
>
>I said right along that this topic needed more debate, but we haven't
>gotten back to looking at it.  We have a number of other nasty behaviors
>in current sources that trace back to altering the set of available
>coercions.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

Дата:
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> Then shouldn't this appear on the "Open 7.3 issues" list that has been
> circulating around?

It does.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
It is already there, I think:
fix implicit type coercions that are worse

Barry Lind wrote:
> Then shouldn't this appear on the "Open 7.3 issues" list that has been
> circulating around?  This seems like an open issue to me, that needs to
> be addressed before 7.3 ships.
>
> --Barry
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> >

> >>You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
> >>cast.
> >>

> >This seems to be fallout from the move to tighten up implicit coercions
> >(cf http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00528.php
> >as well as lots of earlier discussions).
> >
> >I said right along that this topic needed more debate, but we haven't
> >gotten back to looking at it.  We have a number of other nasty behaviors
> >in current sources that trace back to altering the set of available
> >coercions.
> >
> >            regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073