Обсуждение: /contrib/retep to gborg

/contrib/retep to gborg

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I think we should move /contrib/retep to gborg.  It is 400k and isn't
anywhere near our core functionality.  I will add to TODO:
Move /contrib/retep to gborg

Can I move this during beta?  I don't think so.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

Дата:
> I think we should move /contrib/retep to gborg.  It is 400k and isn't
> anywhere near our core functionality.  I will add to TODO:
>     Move /contrib/retep to gborg
> Can I move this during beta?  I don't think so.

Why not?

Feature addition during beta is frowned on, but I never heard anyone say
you couldn't remove features during beta.  (In fact that's a pretty
standard response to serious bugs, no?)

Whether retep *should* be moved is not something I feel qualified to
comment on, but I don't put any stock in an argument that it can't
be done simply because we're in beta.
        regards, tom lane

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
Bruce Momjian
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think we should move /contrib/retep to gborg.  It is 400k and isn't
> > anywhere near our core functionality.  I will add to TODO:
> >     Move /contrib/retep to gborg
> > Can I move this during beta?  I don't think so.
>
> Why not?
>
> Feature addition during beta is frowned on, but I never heard anyone say
> you couldn't remove features during beta.  (In fact that's a pretty
> standard response to serious bugs, no?)
>
> Whether retep *should* be moved is not something I feel qualified to
> comment on, but I don't put any stock in an argument that it can't
> be done simply because we're in beta.

retep are specialized java tools.  They are quite far removed from our
core system and have had almost zero activity or mention since being
added a few years ago.

I am concerned that removing them may cause instability, particularly in
some of the java build scripts.  That's why I am suggesting not doing it
during beta.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

Дата:
> I am concerned that removing them may cause instability, particularly in
> some of the java build scripts.  That's why I am suggesting not doing it
> during beta.

Actually, it looks to me like they belong with the JDBC driver.  As long
as JDBC is in the main distro, I think we should leave contrib/retep
there too.

There was some talk of moving JDBC to gborg, but I'm not sure what the
plan is, if any.
        regards, tom lane

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
"Dave Page"

Marc asked me to sort it along with some other things, but when I spoke
to Barry he didn't want to move. I passed it back to Marc.

Regards, Dave.

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
Bruce Momjian
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am concerned that removing them may cause instability, particularly in
> > some of the java build scripts.  That's why I am suggesting not doing it
> > during beta.
>
> Actually, it looks to me like they belong with the JDBC driver.  As long
> as JDBC is in the main distro, I think we should leave contrib/retep
> there too.

Well, the top of the /contrib/retep README has:
Before you ask what retepTools are, they are my personal suite ofutilities. About 90% of them are JDBC related (either
theyuse JDBC, orI use them in developing the JDBC driver).

It is java, but only tangentially related to the driver.  It is very far
from our core functionality and seems better in gborg.  Just because it
is java doesn't mean it has to be near jdbc.

> There was some talk of moving JDBC to gborg, but I'm not sure what the
> plan is, if any.

JDBC folks aren't excited about removing from the main cvs until the
vitality of gborg is more proven.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, it looks to me like they belong with the JDBC driver.

> It is java, but only tangentially related to the driver.

I doubt that either of us are qualified to opine on that point.
Perhaps you should be asking in pgsql-jdbc whether it's okay to remove
contrib/retep.  If no one there objects, then I won't complain.
        regards, tom lane

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
I don't object.  In fact I have never even looked at this code before
now.  I doubt anyone else on the jdbc list would mind either, but it
wouldn't hurt to ask.

--Barry

Tom Lane wrote:

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>>Actually, it looks to me like they belong with the JDBC driver.
>>

>>It is java, but only tangentially related to the driver.
>

> I doubt that either of us are qualified to opine on that point.
> Perhaps you should be asking in pgsql-jdbc whether it's okay to remove
> contrib/retep.  If no one there objects, then I won't complain.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I just shot an email over to jdbc.  Let's see what they say.

Barry Lind wrote:
> I don't object.  In fact I have never even looked at this code before
> now.  I doubt anyone else on the jdbc list would mind either, but it
> wouldn't hurt to ask.
>
> --Barry
>
> Tom Lane wrote:

> >>It is java, but only tangentially related to the driver.
> >

> > I doubt that either of us are qualified to opine on that point.
> > Perhaps you should be asking in pgsql-jdbc whether it's okay to remove
> > contrib/retep.  If no one there objects, then I won't complain.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Pennsylvania19073

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I did say to Marc about removing contrib/retep several months ago, as more
up to date versions have been on sourceforge for almost a year now.

I agree with Bruce about the build scripts, but suggest once everything is
done, to remove them.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
peter@retep.org.uk

Re: /contrib/retep to gborg

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
OK, /contrib/retep removed from CVS.  Thanks.

Peter Mount wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Dave Page wrote:

Pennsylvania19073