Обсуждение: Re: [Npgsql-general] Get function OID and function calling support

Re: [Npgsql-general] Get function OID and function calling support

От
"Dave Page"

Sorry, don't know. Can anyone on pgsql-hackers tell us the purpose of
the FunctionCall message?

Regards, Dave.

Re: [Npgsql-general] Get function OID and function calling support

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> Sorry, don't know. Can anyone on pgsql-hackers tell us the purpose of
> the FunctionCall message?

It's used to invoke the "fast path" function call code
(src/backend/tcop/fastpath.c).  libpq's large-object routines use this,
but little else does AFAIK.  The current protocol is sufficiently broken
(see comments in fastpath.c) that I'd not really encourage people to use
it until we can fix it --- hopefully that will happen in 7.4.
        regards, tom lane

PS: what in the world is npgsql-general@gborg.postgresql.org ... is that
a real mailing list, and if so why?  It sounds a bit, um, duplicative.

Re: [Npgsql-general] Get function OID and function

От
Greg Copeland
Дата:
San someone point me to what exactly is planned for the
protocol/networking stuff?  Networking/protocols is one of my fortes and
I believe that I could actually help here.

Regards,
Greg

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 09:01, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> > Sorry, don't know. Can anyone on pgsql-hackers tell us the purpose of
> > the FunctionCall message?
>
> It's used to invoke the "fast path" function call code
> (src/backend/tcop/fastpath.c).  libpq's large-object routines use this,
> but little else does AFAIK.  The current protocol is sufficiently broken
> (see comments in fastpath.c) that I'd not really encourage people to use
> it until we can fix it --- hopefully that will happen in 7.4.
>
>             regards, tom lane
>
> PS: what in the world is npgsql-general@gborg.postgresql.org ... is that
> a real mailing list, and if so why?  It sounds a bit, um, duplicative.

Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>
Copeland Computer Consulting

Re: [Npgsql-general] Get function OID and function calling support

От
"Francisco Figueiredo Jr."
Дата:
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> > Sorry, don't know. Can anyone on pgsql-hackers tell us the purpose of
> > the FunctionCall message?
>
> It's used to invoke the "fast path" function call code
> (src/backend/tcop/fastpath.c).  libpq's large-object routines use this,
> but little else does AFAIK.  The current protocol is sufficiently broken
> (see comments in fastpath.c) that I'd not really encourage people to use
> it until we can fix it --- hopefully that will happen in 7.4.

Ok, as Kristis already said about how functions are being commonly called, I
will implement it this way: transforming the function call into a "select
<function_name>" statement. I already have some working code and I will clean
it and commit it soon.

Thanks all!

=====
Regards,
Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Busca Yahoo!
O melhor lugar para encontrar tudo o que você procura na Internet
http://br.busca.yahoo.com/