Обсуждение: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create a PG 7.3.1 package on?

Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create a PG 7.3.1 package on?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi guys,

Have created a Solaris 8 Intel package for PostgreSQL 7.3.1, but don't
have any SPARC boxes here any more.

Does anyone have a SPARC box handy that would be available for compiling
PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on?  It would need to be Solaris 8 (or maybe 9), and
have things like gcc 2.95.x and similar tools installed, as well as be
patched with the latest recommended Solaris patches.

Might be a huge ask, but am figuring it to be worth at least trying.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Have created a Solaris 8 Intel package for PostgreSQL 7.3.1, but don't
> have any SPARC boxes here any more.
>
> Does anyone have a SPARC box handy that would be available for
> compiling PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on?  It would need to be Solaris 8 (or
> maybe 9), and have things like gcc 2.95.x and similar tools installed,
> as well as be patched with the latest recommended Solaris patches.
>
> Might be a huge ask, but am figuring it to be worth at least trying.
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

I can get access to several boxes with Solaris 8 + gcc 2.95 ( maybe not
right-up-to-the minute latest patches, but fairly recently patched).

They are firewalled off from the internet with abolutely no chance of
external access, but I can build whatever is required ( Pg 7.3.1 is
already installed from source) and upload it to techdocs.postgresql.org
(or similar).

...I've never tried to create a Solaris package so I will need answers
to all the usual dumb questions - including what extra configure options
are required as I've been building with *none*  :-)

regards

Mark

Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
<snip>
> I can get access to several boxes with Solaris 8 + gcc 2.95 ( maybe not
> right-up-to-the minute latest patches, but fairly recently patched).
>
> They are firewalled off from the internet with abolutely no chance of
> external access, but I can build whatever is required ( Pg 7.3.1 is
> already installed from source) and upload it to techdocs.postgresql.org
> (or similar).
>
> ...I've never tried to create a Solaris package so I will need answers
> to all the usual dumb questions - including what extra configure options
> are required as I've been building with *none*  :-)

That's cool.  Making Solaris packages is pretty easy, and all of the
files that might be tricky have already been created.  The compilation
notes taken whilst making the Solaris 8 Intel packages are at:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/PackagingForSolaris

It doesn't mention how to do the packaging bit, but it wouldn't be hard
to create step by step instructions for you with minimal effort.  :)

Sound like a plan?  Will also need someone else with a Solaris 8 SPARC
system to try the packages out too, just in case there are weird library
dependencies happening that might catch us out.

Also, am wondering if learning how to do "cross compiling" instead might
be worthwhile.  Don't yet know anything about it, but it gets mentioned
in a lot of documents.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> regards
>

> Mark

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Wednesday 15 January 2003 09:20, Justin Clift wrote:
> Sound like a plan?  Will also need someone else with a Solaris 8 SPARC
> system to try the packages out too, just in case there are weird library
> dependencies happening that might catch us out.

I have access to several (two dozen) currently unused Ultra30 systems.  I can
install Sol8 on one and Sol9 on another and provide ssh access (once I figure
out how to get ssh working on Solaris) to you, once I know your static IP
address or subnet range.  It may be a few days to a week before I can do the
actual installation, however.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Justin Clift writes:

> Also, am wondering if learning how to do "cross compiling" instead might
> be worthwhile.  Don't yet know anything about it, but it gets mentioned
> in a lot of documents.

The hard part about cross-compiling is getting a cross-compiler
(especially if you have to build it yourself).  After that it might be as
easy as running 'configure --host=toaster ...'.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Lamar Owen wrote:

>On Wednesday 15 January 2003 09:20, Justin Clift wrote:
>

>>Sound like a plan?  Will also need someone else with a Solaris 8 SPARC
>>system to try the packages out too, just in case there are weird library
>>dependencies happening that might catch us out.
>>

>I have access to several (two dozen) currently unused Ultra30 systems.  I can
>install Sol8 on one and Sol9 on another and provide ssh access (once I figure
>out how to get ssh working on Solaris) to you, once I know your static IP
>address or subnet range.  It may be a few days to a week before I can do the
>actual installation, however.

I dont have Solaris 9... so Lamar's plan sounds like the way to go....
However, I am can still built for '8 if Lamar and/or yourself get snowed
under....

cheers

Mark

Re: Anyone have a fresh Solaris 8 SPARC system to create

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 09:20, Justin Clift wrote:
>
>>Sound like a plan?  Will also need someone else with a Solaris 8 SPARC
>>system to try the packages out too, just in case there are weird library
>>dependencies happening that might catch us out.
>

> I have access to several (two dozen) currently unused Ultra30 systems.  I can
> install Sol8 on one and Sol9 on another and provide ssh access (once I figure
> out how to get ssh working on Solaris) to you, once I know your static IP
> address or subnet range.  It may be a few days to a week before I can do the
> actual installation, however.

Wow, thanks Lamar.  *That's* about as good an offer as I was hoping for.

Mark, I can still teach you how to package stuff if you want.  In this
instance, having direct remote access to systems and being able to
ensure things are 100% fresh and correct is that bit safer, as well as
having other systems to test against.

The easiest way to get OpenSSH up and running on a new Solaris box is to
follow the instructions at:

http://www.sunfreeware.com/openssh.html

He provides packages there for just about everything, although you will
need to download the official Solaris patch from the sunsolve.sun.com
site that adds the /dev/random and urandom devices to the device tree.
It's all pretty straightforward.  :-)

Can't wait! (But am going to have to).  ;-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi