Обсуждение: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
"Dave Page"

I ought to plonk you for a comment like that. Especially coming from the
person who's crap I've been trying to sort out for the last couple of
months.

> Since you're pretty much ignoring my reasoning, I'll give you
> the same consideration.  The history of windows as a platform
> has shown itself to be rather fragile compared to unix.

When properly configured, Windows can be reliable, maybe not as much as
Solaris or HPUX but certainly some releases of Linux (which I use as
well). You don't see Oracle or IBM avoiding Windows 'cos it isn't stable
enough.

> Before you respond to this, read Tom Lane's response and
> reply to that.

*I* did. I volunteered to do some more of the testing we're all so
resistant.

Dave.

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Greg Copeland
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 13:56, Dave Page wrote:
> When properly configured, Windows can be reliable, maybe not as much as
> Solaris or HPUX but certainly some releases of Linux (which I use as
> well). You don't see Oracle or IBM avoiding Windows 'cos it isn't stable
> enough.

I'm not jumping on one side or the other but I wanted to make clear on
something.  The fact that IBM or Oracle use windows has absolutely zero
to do with reliability or stability.  They are there because the market
is willing to spend money on their product.  Let's face it, the share
holders of each respective company would come unglued if the largest
software audience in the world were completely ignored.

Simple fact is, your example really is pretty far off from supporting
any view.  Bluntly stated, both are in that market because they want to
make money; they're even obligated to do so.

--
Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>
Copeland Computer Consulting

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Kevin Brown
Дата:
Greg Copeland wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 13:56, Dave Page wrote:
> > When properly configured, Windows can be reliable, maybe not as much as
> > Solaris or HPUX but certainly some releases of Linux (which I use as
> > well). You don't see Oracle or IBM avoiding Windows 'cos it isn't stable
> > enough.
>
> I'm not jumping on one side or the other but I wanted to make clear on
> something.  The fact that IBM or Oracle use windows has absolutely zero
> to do with reliability or stability.  They are there because the market
> is willing to spend money on their product.  Let's face it, the share
> holders of each respective company would come unglued if the largest
> software audience in the world were completely ignored.
>
> Simple fact is, your example really is pretty far off from supporting
> any view.  Bluntly stated, both are in that market because they want to
> make money; they're even obligated to do so.

That's true, but it ignores the question that makes it relevant: has
their appearance in the Windows market tarnished their reputation?
More precisely, has it tarnished their reputation in the *Unix*
community?  The answer, I think, is no.

And that *is* relevant to us, because our concern is about the
reputation of PostgreSQL, and what will happen to it if we release a
native Windows port to the world.

Of course, you could argue that Oracle and IBM didn't have much of a
reputation anyway, and I wouldn't be able to say much to that.  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Grow up Dave.  That shit doesn't belong on this or any other list.  If
you didn't want to do something, you shouldn't have volunteered to do it.

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Kevin Brown wrote:

> Greg Copeland wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 13:56, Dave Page wrote:
> > > When properly configured, Windows can be reliable, maybe not as much as
> > > Solaris or HPUX but certainly some releases of Linux (which I use as
> > > well). You don't see Oracle or IBM avoiding Windows 'cos it isn't stable
> > > enough.
> >
> > I'm not jumping on one side or the other but I wanted to make clear on
> > something.  The fact that IBM or Oracle use windows has absolutely zero
> > to do with reliability or stability.  They are there because the market
> > is willing to spend money on their product.  Let's face it, the share
> > holders of each respective company would come unglued if the largest
> > software audience in the world were completely ignored.
> >
> > Simple fact is, your example really is pretty far off from supporting
> > any view.  Bluntly stated, both are in that market because they want to
> > make money; they're even obligated to do so.
>
> That's true, but it ignores the question that makes it relevant: has
> their appearance in the Windows market tarnished their reputation?
> More precisely, has it tarnished their reputation in the *Unix*
> community?  The answer, I think, is no.
>
> And that *is* relevant to us, because our concern is about the
> reputation of PostgreSQL, and what will happen to it if we release a
> native Windows port to the world.

More to the point, does the unreliable Cygwin port possibly do our
reputation any good? It is known to crash with corruptions under less
than heavy load.

Looking at the arguments so far, nearly everyone who questions the Win32
port must be vehemently against the Cygwin stuff anyway. So that camp
should be happy to see it flushed down the toilet. And the pro-Win32
people want the native version because they are unhappy with the
stepchild-Cygwin stuff too, so they won't care too much.

Anyone here who likes the Cygwin port or can we yank it out right now?

Jan

cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Jan Wieck wrote:
> Looking at the arguments so far, nearly everyone who questions the Win32
> port must be vehemently against the Cygwin stuff anyway. So that camp
> should be happy to see it flushed down the toilet. And the pro-Win32
> people want the native version because they are unhappy with the
> stepchild-Cygwin stuff too, so they won't care too much.

What is interesting is that the MySQL folk don't seem to be vehemently against
it, as a look at their downloads pages indicate that they depend on Cygwin for
the Windows port of their product.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html