Обсуждение: Win32 native port

Win32 native port

От
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Дата:
Hi!

After holding my breath for quite a while, it bursts out... I'd really like to
get a status update on said port.

The reason is, it's seemingly put on hold for me. After this port was talked
over on the list, there seemed to be an explosion of effort, with initial
success stories. I did read things like 'it compiles on MinGW' etc. pp. Now,
the issue seem pretty much dead - no more talk *at all* about it. Questioners
who wanted to get into development themselves where brushed off - 'we are
stuck there and there, but you can't help anyway' was the tenor.

Well, I am very interested in this port, and actually ran the betas from
PeerDirect (beta3 mostly), which performed quite well in small-scale test
scenarios.

So, I'd just like to ask the people involved to give a small summary on the
on-going(?) efforts, and possibly an open-points list, and even better, some
hints how to get involved myself(!).

Questions would be:
- does it compile?
- on which compiler?
- which branch in CVS to use?
- what are the most needed open points?
- is anyone actively working on those?

... you get the idea.

Anyway, please don't take this mail as an offense, I (and quite some others)
*really* just want to know, and perhaps help out!

Greetings, and thank you all for a great DB in the first place,Joerg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com

Re: Win32 native port

От
"Alexander Schulz"
Дата:
Hi,

I think this would be interesting for many postgresql users.

The opensource database market is moving where quick at the moment, see
the sh*t with sapdb and mysql. So it would be very interesting if there
is a free alternative for windows and linux in the near future, because
some customers still use windows for some strange reason.

Like Joerg I would like to offer support if needed.

Thanks to everyone working for opensource.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Alexander Schulz

solutionary GmbH, Reuchlinstrasse 10-11, 10553 Berlin,
http://www.solutionary.de
mail: alexander.schulz@solutionary.de
tel 030.343462.40 / fax 030.343462.58

[...]

Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Joerg Hessdoerfer kirjutas T, 02.09.2003 kell 13:30:
> Hi!
>
> After holding my breath for quite a while, it bursts out... I'd really like to
> get a status update on said port.
>
> The reason is, it's seemingly put on hold for me. After this port was talked
> over on the list, there seemed to be an explosion of effort, with initial
> success stories. I did read things like 'it compiles on MinGW' etc. pp. Now,
> the issue seem pretty much dead - no more talk *at all* about it. Questioners
> who wanted to get into development themselves where brushed off - 'we are
> stuck there and there, but you can't help anyway' was the tenor.
>
> Well, I am very interested in this port, and actually ran the betas from
> PeerDirect (beta3 mostly), which performed quite well in small-scale test
> scenarios.

> Anyway, please don't take this mail as an offense, I (and quite some others)
> *really* just want to know, and perhaps help out!

Currently the whole PGSQL/Win32-for-v7.4-or-perhaps-7.5-or-8.0 saga does
indeed seem like a microsoftesqe ploy to scare off commercial
PGSQL/Win32 vendors and keep postgresql an UNIX-only thing ;)

-----------------
Hannu

Re: Win32 native port

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
'k ... quick and dirty summary .. Bruce will probably add to it, but I
know he's busy ... he's so busy that some of the stuff that we put in
place for the Win32 hasn't even been announced yet :)

First, there was a branch created a couple of weeks ago: WIN32_DEV that
you can access via anon cvs ... this is where work in Win32 is going to
happen until its ready to be brought back into the mainstream, and is
based on code from "date: 2003/08/08 17:17:17" (or thereabouts) ...

Second, we created a list specifically for those wishing to dive into and
work on this: pgsql-hackers-win32 ...

Things are in beta right now, which means that most of the developers time
is being spent hardening up for v7.4, but that doesn't preclude anyone
from diving into that branch and submit'ng patches for it ... in fact, if
you are kind enough to put WIN32_DEV in teh subject on postings to
-patches, I'll happily merge in those patches to free up some of Bruce's
time ...

Right now, I'm the only one on the win32 list, so don't expect my heated
discussions from me ... I'm a Unix guy, don't even have a Win box setup
for compiling :)

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Joerg Hessdoerfer kirjutas T, 02.09.2003 kell 13:30:
> > Hi!
> >
> > After holding my breath for quite a while, it bursts out... I'd really like to
> > get a status update on said port.
> >
> > The reason is, it's seemingly put on hold for me. After this port was talked
> > over on the list, there seemed to be an explosion of effort, with initial
> > success stories. I did read things like 'it compiles on MinGW' etc. pp. Now,
> > the issue seem pretty much dead - no more talk *at all* about it. Questioners
> > who wanted to get into development themselves where brushed off - 'we are
> > stuck there and there, but you can't help anyway' was the tenor.
> >
> > Well, I am very interested in this port, and actually ran the betas from
> > PeerDirect (beta3 mostly), which performed quite well in small-scale test
> > scenarios.

> > Anyway, please don't take this mail as an offense, I (and quite some others)
> > *really* just want to know, and perhaps help out!
>
> Currently the whole PGSQL/Win32-for-v7.4-or-perhaps-7.5-or-8.0 saga does
> indeed seem like a microsoftesqe ploy to scare off commercial
> PGSQL/Win32 vendors and keep postgresql an UNIX-only thing ;)

Re: Win32 native port

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
wrap="">'k... quick and dirty summary .. Bruce will probably add to it, but I

[...]

Mail: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com">joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com</a>
WWW:  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.sea-gmbh.com">http://www.sea-gmbh.com</a>

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Alexander Schulz wrote:

I think this would be interesting for many postgresql users.

The opensource database market is moving where quick at the moment, see
the sh*t with sapdb and mysql. So it would be very interesting if there
is a free alternative for windows and linux in the near future, because
some customers still use windows for some strange reason.

Like Joerg I would like to offer support if needed.

Thanks to everyone working for opensource.

Mit freundlichen Gr?ssen

Alexander Schulz

solutionary GmbH, Reuchlinstrasse 10-11, 10553 Berlin,
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.solutionary.de">http://www.solutionary.de</a>
mail: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:alexander.schulz@solutionary.de">alexander.schulz@solutionary.de</a>
tel 030.343462.40 / fax 030.343462.58

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org">pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org</a>
[<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org">mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org</a>]Im Auftrag von Joerg

Hessdoerfer
Gesendet: Dienstag, 2. September 2003 12:31
An: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org">pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org</a>

[...]

href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html</a>
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Hannu Krosing wrote:
type="cite"><prewrap="">Hi!

[...]

href="http://archives.postgresql.org">http://archives.postgresql.org</a>
              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://archives.postgresql.org">http://archives.postgresql.org</a>

+1-503-222-2783 - <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:jd@commandprompt.com">jd@commandprompt.com</a> - <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"href="http://www.commandprompt.com">http://www.commandprompt.com</a>

The most reliable support for the most reliable Open Source database.
</pre>

Re: Win32 native port

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
So far as I'm aware Joerg, we didn't have enough time to get all the Win32
stuff done for 7.4, and it was felt (rightly so) that it wasn't worth
holding off on 7.4 to get it in.

At the moment, the main developers are doing nothing but fixing bugs in 7.4
as we are now in feature freeze.

Once 7.4 final has been released, work will continue on Win32, and I see no
reason (since there have been many offers of help) why it wouldn't be done
for 7.5.
> So, I'd just like to ask the people involved to give a small summary on
the
> on-going(?) efforts, and possibly an open-points list, and even better,
some
> hints how to get involved myself(!).
>
> Questions would be:
> - does it compile?
> - on which compiler?
> - which branch in CVS to use?
> - what are the most needed open points?
> - is anyone actively working on those?
>
> ... you get the idea.

I have no idea of the answers to these questions!  Bruce is your man for
them.

Chris

Re: Win32 native port

От