Обсуждение: elog tab indentation

elog tab indentation

Дата:
I observe that the server log is now indenting DETAIL/HINT lines:

LOG:  server process (PID 8468) was terminated by signal 6
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server processDETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this
serverprocess to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and
possiblycorrupted shared memory.HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your
command.
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing

This is not the behavior I thought we agreed to.
        regards, tom lane

Re: elog tab indentation

От
Bruce Momjian
Tom Lane wrote:
> I observe that the server log is now indenting DETAIL/HINT lines:
>
> LOG:  server process (PID 8468) was terminated by signal 6
> LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
> WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
>     DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because
anotherserver process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

>     HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
> LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
>
> This is not the behavior I thought we agreed to.

I thought DETAIL/HINT would be separate elog calls, and hence start at
the beginning of the line.  Are they all in on big elog string?  Sure
looks like it from the output.  Do we have to check the beginning of the
string for [A-Z]*:?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: elog tab indentation

Дата:
> I thought DETAIL/HINT would be separate elog calls, and hence start at
> the beginning of the line.  Are they all in on big elog string?

Yes --- that's to try to ensure that the whole mess gets written to the
log atomically.
        regards, tom lane

Re: elog tab indentation

От
Bruce Momjian
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I thought DETAIL/HINT would be separate elog calls, and hence start at
> > the beginning of the line.  Are they all in on big elog string?
>
> Yes --- that's to try to ensure that the whole mess gets written to the
> log atomically.

Oh, makes sense.  How do you propose we split this up?  Do I look for
the words \nDETAIL and \nHINT and not tab in those cases?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: elog tab indentation

Дата:
> Oh, makes sense.  How do you propose we split this up?  Do I look for
> the words \nDETAIL and \nHINT and not tab in those cases?

That won't work.  I think the tab-insertion has to be done while
building the message string, earlier in send_message_to_server_log
where we still know what's data and what's a keyword.
I'll see what I can do with it.
        regards, tom lane