Обсуждение: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables, pg_settings changes

request for feedback - read-only GUC variables, pg_settings changes

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
We (mostly Bruce, Tom, Peter, and I) have been having a discussion on
the PATCHES list regarding some new functionality related to read-only
GUC variables. The net result is pasted at the bottom of this post. Here
is a link to the discussion:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-11/msg00363.php

In short, 5 new read-only GUC variables are created allowing the value
of certain compile-time settings to be queried. Also the pg_settings
system view has been expanded to include category, short_desc, and
extra_desc (corresponding to group, short_desc, and long_desc in the
generic guc structure). The 5 GUC variables are:

block_size - int  Shows size of a disk block
integer_datetimes - bool  Datetimes are integer based
max_function_args - int  Shows the maximum number of function arguments
max_identifier_length - int  Shows the maximum identifier length
max_index_keys - int  Shows the maximum number of index keys

The main open question at this point is the name for the "block_size"
variable. Peter favors "block_size", Bruce favors "page_size", Tom
hasn't taken a position on that specific issue. Does anyone have and
opinion on the variable name, or any general comments before I commit this?

Thanks,

Joe

regression=# select * from pg_settings where category like 'Compile%';
-[ RECORD 1 ]----------------------------------------------
name       | block_size
setting    | 8192
category   | Compiled-in Options
short_desc | Shows size of a disk block
extra_desc |
context    | internal
vartype    | integer
source     | default
min_val    | 8192
max_val    | 8192
-[ RECORD 2 ]----------------------------------------------
name       | integer_datetimes
setting    | on
category   | Compiled-in Options
short_desc | Datetimes are integer based
extra_desc |
context    | internal
vartype    | bool
source     | default
min_val    |
max_val    |
-[ RECORD 3 ]----------------------------------------------
name       | max_function_args
setting    | 32
category   | Compiled-in Options
short_desc | Shows the maximum number of function arguments
extra_desc |
context    | internal
vartype    | integer
source     | default
min_val    | 32
max_val    | 32
-[ RECORD 4 ]----------------------------------------------
name       | max_identifier_length
setting    | 63
category   | Compiled-in Options
short_desc | Shows the maximum identifier length
extra_desc |
context    | internal
vartype    | integer
source     | default
min_val    | 63
max_val    | 63
-[ RECORD 5 ]----------------------------------------------
name       | max_index_keys
setting    | 32
category   | Compiled-in Options
short_desc | Shows the maximum number of index keys
extra_desc |
context    | internal
vartype    | integer
source     | default
min_val    | 32
max_val    | 32

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables,

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Joe Conway wrote:

> We (mostly Bruce, Tom, Peter, and I) have been having a discussion on
> the PATCHES list regarding some new functionality related to read-only
> GUC variables. The net result is pasted at the bottom of this post. Here
> is a link to the discussion:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-11/msg00363.php
>
> In short, 5 new read-only GUC variables are created allowing the value
> of certain compile-time settings to be queried. Also the pg_settings
> system view has been expanded to include category, short_desc, and
> extra_desc (corresponding to group, short_desc, and long_desc in the
> generic guc structure). The 5 GUC variables are:
>
> block_size - int
>    Shows size of a disk block
> integer_datetimes - bool
>    Datetimes are integer based
> max_function_args - int
>    Shows the maximum number of function arguments
> max_identifier_length - int
>    Shows the maximum identifier length
> max_index_keys - int
>    Shows the maximum number of index keys
>
> The main open question at this point is the name for the "block_size"
> variable. Peter favors "block_size", Bruce favors "page_size", Tom
> hasn't taken a position on that specific issue. Does anyone have and
> opinion on the variable name, or any general comments before I commit this?

PAGE_SIZE generally refers to memory allocations, no?

I'd go with block_size ...

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables, pg_settings

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Joe Conway wrote:
> We (mostly Bruce, Tom, Peter, and I) have been having a discussion on
> the PATCHES list regarding some new functionality related to read-only
> GUC variables. The net result is pasted at the bottom of this post. Here
> is a link to the discussion:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-11/msg00363.php
>
> In short, 5 new read-only GUC variables are created allowing the value
> of certain compile-time settings to be queried. Also the pg_settings
> system view has been expanded to include category, short_desc, and
> extra_desc (corresponding to group, short_desc, and long_desc in the
> generic guc structure). The 5 GUC variables are:
>
> block_size - int
>    Shows size of a disk block

> The main open question at this point is the name for the "block_size"
> variable. Peter favors "block_size", Bruce favors "page_size", Tom
> hasn't taken a position on that specific issue. Does anyone have and
> opinion on the variable name, or any general comments before I commit this?

I hate to reply to this because I have already cast my vote, but
"block_size" does not report the size of a disk block.  It reports the
size of a PostgreSQL block/page.  Disk blocks are almost always 512
bytes in size.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables,

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > block_size - int
> >    Shows size of a disk block
> > integer_datetimes - bool
> >    Datetimes are integer based
> > max_function_args - int
> >    Shows the maximum number of function arguments
> > max_identifier_length - int
> >    Shows the maximum identifier length
> > max_index_keys - int
> >    Shows the maximum number of index keys
> >
> > The main open question at this point is the name for the "block_size"
> > variable. Peter favors "block_size", Bruce favors "page_size", Tom
> > hasn't taken a position on that specific issue. Does anyone have and
> > opinion on the variable name, or any general comments before I commit this?
>
> PAGE_SIZE generally refers to memory allocations, no?
>
> I'd go with block_size ...

True, page size usually references virtual memory pages, so it is
related to virtual memory mapping.  Block size is much more related to
on-disk storage, true.  The only reason I was leaning toward page is
that it is possible to confuse disk block (512 bytes) with a PostgreSQL
block (8k), but maybe that is not relivant.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables, pg_settings

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:53:40AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joe Conway wrote:

> > The main open question at this point is the name for the "block_size"
> > variable. Peter favors "block_size", Bruce favors "page_size", Tom
> > hasn't taken a position on that specific issue. Does anyone have and
> > opinion on the variable name, or any general comments before I commit this?
>
> I hate to reply to this because I have already cast my vote, but
> "block_size" does not report the size of a disk block.  It reports the
> size of a PostgreSQL block/page.  Disk blocks are almost always 512
> bytes in size.

pg_block_size ?

"God is real, unless declared as int"

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables,

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>I'd go with block_size ...
>
> True, page size usually references virtual memory pages, so it is
> related to virtual memory mapping.  Block size is much more related to
> on-disk storage, true.  The only reason I was leaning toward page is
> that it is possible to confuse disk block (512 bytes) with a PostgreSQL
> block (8k), but maybe that is not relivant.

I committed this yesterday as block_size because that had the majority
support. Of course it's not too late to change it, but as Tom mentioned,
we want to settle on something relatively quickly and then not mess with
it afterwards.

As another data point in the discussion, pg_controldata gives this:

# pg_controldata
pg_control version number:            72
Catalog version number:               200312031
Database cluster state:               in production
pg_control last modified:             Wed Dec  3 12:06:35 2003
Current log file ID:                  0
Next log file segment:                3
Latest checkpoint location:           0/27D5EEC
Prior checkpoint location:            0/9BA8A0
Latest checkpoint's REDO location:    0/27D5EEC
Latest checkpoint's UNDO location:    0/0
Latest checkpoint's StartUpID:        14
Latest checkpoint's NextXID:          6376
Latest checkpoint's NextOID:          156406
Time of latest checkpoint:            Wed Dec  3 12:06:31 2003
Database block size:                  8192
Blocks per segment of large relation: 131072
Maximum length of identifiers:        64
Maximum number of function arguments: 32
Date/time type storage:               64-bit integers
Maximum length of locale name:        128
LC_COLLATE:                           C
LC_CTYPE:                             C

Note that pg_controldata also uses "block size", so I'm still inclined
to stick with that.

Joe

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables, pg_settings

От
Greg Stark
Дата:

> I hate to reply to this because I have already cast my vote, but
> "block_size" does not report the size of a disk block.  It reports the
> size of a PostgreSQL block/page.  Disk blocks are almost always 512
> bytes in size.

Perhaps then neither "block" nor "page" is best. Perhaps it should be
"buffer_size" or something like that?

--
greg

Re: request for feedback - read-only GUC variables, pg_settings

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:

> > I hate to reply to this because I have already cast my vote, but
> > "block_size" does not report the size of a disk block.  It reports the
> > size of a PostgreSQL block/page.  Disk blocks are almost always 512
> > bytes in size.
>
> Perhaps then neither "block" nor "page" is best. Perhaps it should be
> "buffer_size" or something like that?

It is really the storage block size, and that is manifest in the buffer
size and disk block size used.

Pennsylvania19073