Обсуждение: PITR Dead horse?

PITR Dead horse?

От
Austin Gonyou
Дата:
Has this been beaten to death now? Just curious if PITR was in Dev tree
yet. Been out of the loop. TIA.
--
Austin Gonyou <austin@coremetrics.com>
Coremetrics, Inc.

Re: PITR Dead horse?

Дата:
Austin Gonyou <austin@coremetrics.com> writes:
> Has this been beaten to death now? Just curious if PITR was in Dev tree
> yet. Been out of the loop. TIA.

Nope... I've got some patches from Patrick Macdonald and JR Nield that I
need to integrate, but I believe those only cover some low-level changes
to the WAL log contents.  There's a lot of management code yet to be
written.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Has this been beaten to death now? Just curious if PITR was in Dev tree
> yet. Been out of the loop. TIA.

I and my co workers are very interested in implementing PITR. We will
tackle this for 7.5 if no one objects.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Satoshi Nagayasu
Дата:
I and some other developers are also interested in.
Do you think we can work together?

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> wrote:
> > Has this been beaten to death now? Just curious if PITR was in Dev tree
> > yet. Been out of the loop. TIA.
>
> I and my co workers are very interested in implementing PITR. We will
> tackle this for 7.5 if no one objects.
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

NAGAYASU Satoshi <snaga@snaga.org>

Re: PITR Dead horse?

Дата:
> I and my co workers are very interested in implementing PITR. We will
> tackle this for 7.5 if no one objects.

Sounds good.  I'll try to push in the work that Patrick and JR did
within the next day or two, and then you can take it from there...
        regards, tom lane

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> I and some other developers are also interested in.
> Do you think we can work together?

Sure. Why not. I think it would be practical to decide who is the
leader of this project, though.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Hi, This is Suzuki from NTT DATA Intellilink.

I told Bruce Momjan that I and my colleagues are interested in
implementing PITR in BOF in NY LW2004.  NTT's laboratory is very
interested in this issue and I'm planning to work with them.  I hope we
could cooperate.

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>>Has this been beaten to death now? Just curious if PITR was in Dev tree
>>yet. Been out of the loop. TIA.
>

> I and my co workers are very interested in implementing PITR. We will
> tackle this for 7.5 if no one objects.
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Nicolai Tufar"
Дата:
I would like to join this effort too.
I was afraid that people at RedHat are already
halfway though and were to release their work
shortly. But it does not seem to be the case.

Regards,
Nicolai

broadcast)---------------------------
> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo@postgresql.org)

majordomo@postgresql.org

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > I and some other developers are also interested in.
> > Do you think we can work together?
>
> Sure. Why not. I think it would be practical to decide who is the
> leader of this project, though.

Is this something large enough, like the win32 stuff, that having a side
list for discussions is worth setting up?

----

Re: PITR Dead horse?

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Is this something large enough, like the win32 stuff, that having a side
> list for discussions is worth setting up?

In terms of the amount of code to be written, I expect it's larger than
the win32 porting effort.  And it should be mostly pretty separate from
hacking the core backend, since most of what remains to do is writing
external management utilities (I think).

I've been dissatisfied with having the separate pgsql-hackers-win32
list; I feel it just fragments the discussion, and people tend to end up
crossposting to -hackers anyway.  But a separate list for PITR work
might be a good idea despite that experience, since it seems like it'd
be a more separable project.

Any other opinions out there?
        regards, tom lane

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
>Tom Lane wrote
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Is this something large enough, like the win32 stuff, that having a
side
> > list for discussions is worth setting up?
>
> In terms of the amount of code to be written, I expect it's larger
than
> the win32 porting effort.  And it should be mostly pretty separate
from
> hacking the core backend, since most of what remains to do is writing
> external management utilities (I think).

Yes it is! I'd like to start the discussion about PITR and try to go
through some functional requirements and how those might be implemented.
The Win32 port has a self-evident set of functional requirements; I'm
not sure that the PITR stuff is as clear - so I couldn't pass any
judgement at all (even if I did know the code well enough) on how big a
coding task that is, but I can see that the analysis and discussion is
large indeed.

> I've been dissatisfied with having the separate pgsql-hackers-win32
> list; I feel it just fragments the discussion, and people tend to end
up
> crossposting to -hackers anyway.  But a separate list for PITR work
> might be a good idea despite that experience, since it seems like it'd
> be a more separable project.

I'd vote for a new list dedicated to discussing "Robustness" issues,
such as PITR and the fsync/sync issues. IMHO, PostgreSQL has the
Functionality and Performance, it just needs some rock-solid analysis of
where-things-can-go-wrong with it, so that the business data centre
people will be able to use it with absolute confidence...even if the
answer is "we've got every base covered". For me, the issues about
robustness are as much to do with risk reduction and confidence building
as they are about specific features in that area. [Wow, I expect some
flames on those comments!]

The list probably would remain clearly differentiated, in the same way
[Performance] covers lots of areas not discussed in [Hackers].

Not hung up on the name either, just something that indicates
breadth-of-scope, e.g. Availability or Data Protection or Resilience
etc..; maybe the Advocates would like to name it? It might even be a
press-release: "PostgreSQL community focuses new efforts towards
Robustness features for its next major release".

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: PITR Dead horse?

Дата:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> I'd vote for a new list dedicated to discussing "Robustness" issues,
> such as PITR and the fsync/sync issues. IMHO, PostgreSQL has the
> Functionality and Performance, it just needs some rock-solid analysis of
> where-things-can-go-wrong with it, so that the business data centre
> people will be able to use it with absolute confidence...even if the
> answer is "we've got every base covered". For me, the issues about
> robustness are as much to do with risk reduction and confidence building
> as they are about specific features in that area. [Wow, I expect some
> flames on those comments!]

You're right.  Exactly where do you expect to find the expertise and
interest to do such an analysis?  On pghackers, that's where.  There's
no reason to invent a new mailing list for what should be a continuing
topic in pghackers.  And to the extent that you were to move such a
discussion somewhere else, you'd just risk losing the attention of the
pair of eyeballs that might notice a hole in your analysis.

> Not hung up on the name either, just something that indicates
> breadth-of-scope, e.g. Availability or Data Protection or Resilience
> etc..; maybe the Advocates would like to name it? It might even be a
> press-release: "PostgreSQL community focuses new efforts towards
> Robustness features for its next major release".

I think such a press release would be counterproductive, as it would
immediately make people question whether we have reliability problems.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Nicolai Tufar"
Дата:
Totally agree. Robustness and rock-solidness are the only
things missing for PostgreSQL to become the killer of certain
commercial enterprise databases out there. And the only thing
that is missing in this respect is PITR. PITR should be there
INGRES had it in '84 and some people as why PostgreSQL does
not have it.

I am well versed in the internals of "PITR" features of a certain
leading enterprise-class database out there. And would like to
contribute (write code) to this effort  as much as I can.

Best regards,
Nicolai Tufar

broadcast)---------------------------
your
>       joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Simon,

> I'd vote for a new list dedicated to discussing "Robustness" issues,
> such as PITR and the fsync/sync issues.<snip>
> The list probably would remain clearly differentiated, in the same way
> [Performance] covers lots of areas not discussed in [Hackers].

Actually, Simon, you're welcome to bring this discussion over to PERFORMANCE.
We discuss scalability and HA on Performance frequently, and I don't feel
that the discussion you refer to would be out of place.

But Tom is right that you need the feedback of a lot of the people on Hackers
once you start discussing a code solution, so there's not much point in
starting a new mailing list that all the same people need to subscribe to.
Certainly Jan had enough trouble getting meaningful feedback on the sync
issue here; on his own list he'd still be talking to himself.

As far as promoting an image of reliability, that belongs on Advocacy.   The
image and the reality don't sync much; we're already about 500% more reliable
than MS SQL Server but ask any ten CIOs what they think?   That's just
marketing.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Dave Page"

Well I've only been using PostgreSQL since 1997 and the *only* release I
ever had problems with was 6.3.2. We also use(d) Informix SE, DB2,
Unidata and SQL Server and only Informix and Unidata come close to the
robustness of PostgreSQL - and they're not the ones we need to worry
about.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't be continually looking to improve
things, but I don't think this is quite the problem you imply.

Regards, Dave.

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Dave Page"

Of course, but I would argue that my claim that PostgreSQL is reliable
is backed up by the lack of people posting messages like 'we had a
powercut and now my DB is hosed'.

> > Now I'm not saying we shouldn't be continually looking to improve
> > things, but I don't think this is quite the problem you imply.
>
> For the customers I am dealing with it is quite a problem, believe me.

Do they have specific problems with the reliability of PostgreSQL then?
Perhaps you could post details of how things have gone wrong for them
(assuming you haven't already - I don't recall anything on -hackers
recently).

Regards, Dave

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Bruce Momjian
> > Totally agree. Robustness and rock-solidness are the only
> > things missing for PostgreSQL to become the killer of certain
> > commercial enterprise databases out there.
>
> Well I've only been using PostgreSQL since 1997 and the *only* release I
> ever had problems with was 6.3.2. We also use(d) Informix SE, DB2,
> Unidata and SQL Server and only Informix and Unidata come close to the
> robustness of PostgreSQL - and they're not the ones we need to worry
> about.
>
> Now I'm not saying we shouldn't be continually looking to improve
> things, but I don't think this is quite the problem you imply.

I assume he was talking about the lack of data recovery in cases of hard
drive failure --- we now require you restore from backup or use a
replicated machine/drive setup.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Has this been beaten to death now? Just curious if PITR was in Dev tree
> > yet. Been out of the loop. TIA.
>
> I and my co workers are very interested in implementing PITR. We will
> tackle this for 7.5 if no one objects.

I have put up a PITR project page:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Koichi Suzuki wrote:
> Hi, This is Suzuki from NTT DATA Intellilink.
>
> I told Bruce Momjan that I and my colleagues are interested in
> implementing PITR in BOF in NY LW2004.  NTT's laboratory is very
> interested in this issue and I'm planning to work with them.  I hope we
> could cooperate.

Yes, I am going to focus on this next week when I return.  With Win32
moving along, PITR is my next big target.  I want to get things moving.
The first step is for Tom to get the PITR WAL patches in.  Then we need
to discuss what else we need and get those on the PITR project page:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Nicolai Tufar wrote:
> I would like to join this effort too.
> I was afraid that people at RedHat are already
> halfway though and were to release their work
> shortly. But it does not seem to be the case.

We are a long way away from completion:

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Is this something large enough, like the win32 stuff, that having a side
> > list for discussions is worth setting up?
>
> In terms of the amount of code to be written, I expect it's larger than
> the win32 porting effort.  And it should be mostly pretty separate from
> hacking the core backend, since most of what remains to do is writing
> external management utilities (I think).
>
> I've been dissatisfied with having the separate pgsql-hackers-win32
> list; I feel it just fragments the discussion, and people tend to end up
> crossposting to -hackers anyway.  But a separate list for PITR work
> might be a good idea despite that experience, since it seems like it'd
> be a more separable project.

I think the win32 email list has worked well.  What is has allowed is
people who want to track only win32 to get only those emails.  It
doesn't help people already on hackers because hacker input is needed.

There are currently 102 Win32 subscribers, and most are not on the
hackers list.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>
> > > I and some other developers are also interested in.
> > > Do you think we can work together?
> >
> > Sure. Why not. I think it would be practical to decide who is the
> > leader of this project, though.
>
> Is this something large enough, like the win32 stuff, that having a side
> list for discussions is worth setting up?

Yes, I would like to have such a list, and will advertize it on the PITR
project page:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [...]

I retract this email.  He clearly was talking about PostgreSQL
reliability, and Dave is right, it is pretty much a non-issue, though
maybe mindshare needs some help.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
pgsql-hackers-pitr@postgresql.org

I set myself as owner, since I didn't figure it was something you really
needed added to your plate? :)  Just means you don't have to go through
and do the Approvals for postings when they need it, I'll just do it as my
normal stuff ...

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Sure. Why not. I think it would be practical to decide who is the
> > > leader of this project, though.
> >
> > Is this something large enough, like the win32 stuff, that having a side
> > list for discussions is worth setting up?
>
> Yes, I would like to have such a list, and will advertize it on the PITR
> project page:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/project
>

> --

----

Re: PITR Dead horse?

От
Austin Gonyou
Дата:
Wow. What a wonderful response. Thanks all!