Обсуждение: Maximum identifier lengths

Maximum identifier lengths

От
Thomas Swan
Дата:
The 7.4 release increased the maximum length for column and table
identifiers to 64 characters.   Are there any plans to increase the
maximum length out to the SQL spec of 128 characters?   I remembered
some performance penalties for the longer name lengths for hash joins
but I don't know if any of the many improvements for the 8.0 release
have change or reduced the penalties for such identifiers.

Re: Maximum identifier lengths

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Thomas Swan wrote:
> The 7.4 release increased the maximum length for column and table
> identifiers to 64 characters.   Are there any plans to increase the
> maximum length out to the SQL spec of 128 characters?   I remembered
> some performance penalties for the longer name lengths for hash joins
> but I don't know if any of the many improvements for the 8.0 release
> have change or reduced the penalties for such identifiers.

I have heard no discussion of increasing it, certainly not for 8.0, and
I don't think we have changed anything that would affect the performance
penalty.

Pennsylvania19073