Обсуждение: Proposed TODO: fetch->INT8

Proposed TODO: fetch->INT8

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
I was browsing the TODO list and I noticed the todo to bump limit/offset
to int8.  IMO, the flavors of fetch that take a numeric parameter need
this as well.

FWIW, trying to pass integer > 2^31 to fetch gives a syntax error, which
is clearly wrong.

Merlin

Re: Proposed TODO: fetch->INT8

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
Is there a practical use for retrieving > 2^31 records at once?

(this is a serious question, I'm not arguing that it should cause a
syntax error)

Regards,Jeff Davis

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:13 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I was browsing the TODO list and I noticed the todo to bump limit/offset
> to int8.  IMO, the flavors of fetch that take a numeric parameter need
> this as well.
>
> FWIW, trying to pass integer > 2^31 to fetch gives a syntax error, which
> is clearly wrong.
>
> Merlin

Re: Proposed TODO: fetch->INT8

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Jeff wrote:
> Is there a practical use for retrieving > 2^31 records at once?
>
> (this is a serious question, I'm not arguing that it should cause a
> syntax error)
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis
>
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:13 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > I was browsing the TODO list and I noticed the todo to bump
limit/offset
> > to int8.  IMO, the flavors of fetch that take a numeric parameter
need
> > this as well.
> >
> > FWIW, trying to pass integer > 2^31 to fetch gives a syntax error,
which
> > is clearly wrong.

No, but don't forget about relative positioning:
fetch relative c from huge_cursor;

Could make a reasonable case for that.
Merlin

Re: Proposed TODO: fetch->INT8

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> > Is there a practical use for retrieving > 2^31 records at once?
> >
> > (this is a serious question, I'm not arguing that it should cause a
> > syntax error)
> >
> > Regards,
> >     Jeff Davis
> >
> > On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:13 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > > I was browsing the TODO list and I noticed the todo to bump
> limit/offset
> > > to int8.  IMO, the flavors of fetch that take a numeric parameter
> need
> > > this as well.
> > >
> > > FWIW, trying to pass integer > 2^31 to fetch gives a syntax error,
> which
> > > is clearly wrong.
>
> No, but don't forget about relative positioning:
> fetch relative c from huge_cursor;

TODO updated:
* Change LIMIT/OFFSET and FETCH/MOVE to use int8

Pennsylvania19073