Обсуждение: Our getopt_long() doesn't do abbreviations or NLS

Our getopt_long() doesn't do abbreviations or NLS

Дата:
I just noticed that our port/getopt_long.c substitute implementation
does not accept abbreviated names for long options:

$ pg_dump --username tgl regression
... works ...
$ pg_dump --user tgl regression
pg_dump: illegal option -- user
Try "pg_dump --help" for more information.
$

The GNU implementation of getopt_long is documented to allow this:
      The getopt_long() function works like getopt()  except  that  it  also      accepts  long  options,  started out
bytwo dashes.  Long option names      may be abbreviated if the abbreviation is unique or is an exact  match      for
some defined option.  A long option may take a parameter, of the      form --arg=param or --arg param.

and experimentation confirms it works.

Barring objections, I'm going to modify our version to allow unique
abbreviations too.

I also notice that our version isn't i18n-ready:
           if (opterr && optstring[0] != ':')               fprintf(stderr,                       "%s: illegal option
--%s\n", argv[0], place);

Should it be gettext'ified?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Our getopt_long() doesn't do abbreviations or NLS

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> I just noticed that our port/getopt_long.c substitute implementation
> does not accept abbreviated names for long options:

That is known, but since we don't advertise that feature, it's not a
problem.

> Barring objections, I'm going to modify our version to allow unique
> abbreviations too.

Sure, if you like.

> Should it be gettext'ified?

Probably.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Our getopt_long() doesn't do abbreviations or NLS

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Should it be gettext'ified?

> Probably.

I seem to recall that there was some special consideration for files
that would conditionally show up in multiple executables.  Or were you
going to fix that by having just one .mo file for all the clients?

Tom Lane wrote:
> I seem to recall that there was some special consideration for files
> that would conditionally show up in multiple executables.  Or were
> you going to fix that by having just one .mo file for all the
> clients?

The current method is to explicitly register the source file in each
catalog that might need it.  This is not ideal, but there isn't a
better way in the works at this time.

--
Peter Eisentraut