Обсуждение: Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

От
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Дата:
Its there a reason postgresql doesn't record vacuum/analyze and dump times in pg_class (or another table).  This seems
like it would be a very helpful feature.

for pg_dump I would add an option --record=YES|NO
for vacuum and analyze I would add a NORECORD|RECORD option

Jim

Re: Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Jim Buttafuoco wrote:

> Its there a reason postgresql doesn't record vacuum/analyze and dump times in pg_class (or another table).  This
seems
> like it would be a very helpful feature.
>
> for pg_dump I would add an option --record=YES|NO
> for vacuum and analyze I would add a NORECORD|RECORD option

You could easily do this in application level:

CREATE TABLE vacuums (relname name, last_vacuum timestamp);

Every time you vacuum, do:

VACUUM foobar; UPDATE dumps set last_dump = now() WHERE relname = 'foobar';

Same for pg_dump.

- Heikki

Re: Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

От
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Дата:
This is what I was thinking about doing.  It would be nicer if the system "just did it" for me.  I have 100+'s of
databases with 100+'s of tables in each and run pg_autovacuum on them all.  I also do nightly dumps and any database
that has been modified (my application keeps track).  I was just thinking of using these dates as a check that the
automated processes are working.

Jim

------- End of Original Message -------

Re: Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
Jim Buttafuoco wrote:

>Its there a reason postgresql doesn't record vacuum/analyze and dump times in pg_class (or another table).  This
seems
>like it would be a very helpful feature.
>
>for pg_dump I would add an option --record=YES|NO
>for vacuum and analyze I would add a NORECORD|RECORD option

For what it's worth, integrated pg_autovacuum will have something like
this.  At least my initial design does, since the autovacuum daemon
needs to know remember when the last time a table was vacuumed.

Re: Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

От
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Дата:
But what happens if I go in and manually vacuum a table (either because I just deleted a bunch of records or
whatever).Thisis why I think the backend should record the date in pg_class.

> >Its there a reason postgresql doesn't record vacuum/analyze and dump times in pg_class (or another table).  This
seems
> >like it would be a very helpful feature.
> >
> >for pg_dump I would add an option --record=YES|NO
> >for vacuum and analyze I would add a NORECORD|RECORD option
> >

> For what it's worth, integrated pg_autovacuum will have something like
> this.  At least my initial design does, since the autovacuum daemon
> needs to know remember when the last time a table was vacuumed.
------- End of Original Message -------

Re: Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
Right, once autovacuum is integrated, then I think vacuum and analyze
should update the autovacuum table this way autovacuum won't redundantly
vacuum tables that were just vacuumed manually.

Jim Buttafuoco wrote:

>But what happens if I go in and manually vacuum a table (either because I just deleted a bunch of records or
whatever).
> This is why I think the backend should record the date in pg_class.

Дата:
I agree 100%.

------- End of Original Message -------