Обсуждение: tsearch2 vs core?

tsearch2 vs core?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
Hi!

Now that we have both WAL logging and better concurrency for GiST
indexes (great job btw, this will push at least one of my projects into
using 8.1 the day it is released - or more likely, at RC stage), are
there any plans to move tsearch2 from contrib to core?

I quite often hear from people who miss it out because it's in contrib
and not in main pg. Probably mainly because there is nothing about it in
our docs. (other than in the list of examples for GiST, which probably
directs more people into thinking it's just an example and not a
complete system).

//Magnus

Re: tsearch2 vs core?

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
> Now that we have both WAL logging and better concurrency for GiST
> indexes (great job btw, this will push at least one of my projects into
> using 8.1 the day it is released - or more likely, at RC stage), are
> there any plans to move tsearch2 from contrib to core?

tsearch2 now doesn't support multibyte encoding and has problems with UTF :(.

  WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: tsearch2 vs core?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Now that we have both WAL logging and better concurrency for GiST
> > indexes (great job btw, this will push at least one of my projects
> > into using 8.1 the day it is released - or more likely, at
> RC stage),
> > are there any plans to move tsearch2 from contrib to core?
>
> tsearch2 now doesn't support multibyte encoding and has
> problems with UTF :(.

Oops. Didn't know that. All my affected DBs are LATIN1 (or ASCII in one
case).

Any plans on fixing this? Don't want to rush you or anything considering
you just made my day with this latest commit, but it'd be interesting to
know if it's "on it's way" or for some reason "not going to happen"?

//Magnus

Re: tsearch2 vs core?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> I quite often hear from people who miss it out because it's in contrib
> and not in main pg. Probably mainly because there is nothing about it in
> our docs. (other than in the list of examples for GiST, which probably
> directs more people into thinking it's just an example and not a
> complete system).

Well, I think the answer to this is to fix the documentation.  I proposed last
month to general approval that contrib modules should have documentation in a
special chapter in the docs.  Now somebody needs to write it ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: tsearch2 vs core?

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Magnus,

we have pretty big  TODO for tsearch2
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/donate.shtml
which we'd like to have implement once we get support. It's certainly not
for 8.1.
    Oleg
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Now that we have both WAL logging and better concurrency for GiST
> indexes (great job btw, this will push at least one of my projects into
> using 8.1 the day it is released - or more likely, at RC stage), are
> there any plans to move tsearch2 from contrib to core?
>
> I quite often hear from people who miss it out because it's in contrib
> and not in main pg. Probably mainly because there is nothing about it in
> our docs. (other than in the list of examples for GiST, which probably
> directs more people into thinking it's just an example and not a
> complete system).
>
> //Magnus

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: tsearch2 vs core?

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
From: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor@sigaev.ru>

> > Now that we have both WAL logging and better concurrency for GiST
> > indexes (great job btw, this will push at least one of my projects into
> > using 8.1 the day it is released - or more likely, at RC stage), are
> > there any plans to move tsearch2 from contrib to core?
>
> tsearch2 now doesn't support multibyte encoding and has problems with UTF :(.

Japanese Mr. Junji TERAMOTO(NTT) is supporting it.
http://www.oss.ecl.ntt.co.jp/tsearch2j/
However, It is EUC_JP. He will probably understand the problem.
Though I don't understand the problem....

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: tsearch2 vs core?

От
Junji TERAMOTO
Дата:
Hello all,

>>tsearch2 now doesn't support multibyte encoding and has problems with UTF :(.

I read this url;
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/donate.shtml
---
- UTF-8 support
Currently, tsearch2's parser doesn't supports utf-8. This is very
important if you want to search multilingual documents.
---
But, there is another document;
"Tsearch2 and Unicode/UTF-8"
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/tsearch2_german_utf8.html

Which is true? The tsearch2 suppoort UTF or not?
If we use "simple" parser, we can store UTF-8 text into tsearch2?
Or, do we have to make own parser which can parse UTF-8 text?

> Japanese Mr. Junji TERAMOTO(NTT) is supporting it.
> http://www.oss.ecl.ntt.co.jp/tsearch2j/
> However, It is EUC_JP. He will probably understand the problem.
> Though I don't understand the problem....

Sorry, I don't understand this problem exactly...

--
Junji Teramoto