Обсуждение: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Is enable_constraint_exclusion the proper name for this feature?  I know
we have enable* in the optimizer settings, but that naming seems
unfortunate in that we should have just called it hash_join and it could
be enabled/disabled.

I am thinking we should just call it constraint_exclusion.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Bruce Momjian
pgman wrote:
> Is enable_constraint_exclusion the proper name for this feature?  I know
> we have enable* in the optimizer settings, but that naming seems
> unfortunate in that we should have just called it hash_join and it could
> be enabled/disabled.
>
> I am thinking we should just call it constraint_exclusion.

So, given the silence on this, I assume people think we should rename
this before beta starts.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

Дата:
> pgman wrote:
>> Is enable_constraint_exclusion the proper name for this feature?  I know
>> we have enable* in the optimizer settings, but that naming seems
>> unfortunate in that we should have just called it hash_join and it could
>> be enabled/disabled.
>>
>> I am thinking we should just call it constraint_exclusion.

> So, given the silence on this, I assume people think we should rename
> this before beta starts.

Or that they think it might as well be left alone.  I would like to
think that the parameter will have a very finite lifespan anyway;
if it's still there in 8.2, it'll be because we didn't get cached
plan updating done, and I hope that will not be the case.
        regards, tom lane

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>I am thinking we should just call it constraint_exclusion.
>

> So, given the silence on this, I assume people think we should rename
> this before beta starts.

Well it depends either one seems correct per the postgresql.conf. For
example enable_seqscan, or "add"_missing_from_clause.

It seems that if the postgresql.conf parameter is actually causing a
different behavior we tend to note the behavior in the prefix (thus
enable/add) but that if it is more general we done (thus log_) .

I don't care either way but it seemed something to note before the
decision was made.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>I am thinking we should just call it constraint_exclusion.
> >

> > So, given the silence on this, I assume people think we should rename
> > this before beta starts.
>
> Well it depends either one seems correct per the postgresql.conf. For
> example enable_seqscan, or "add"_missing_from_clause.
>
> It seems that if the postgresql.conf parameter is actually causing a
> different behavior we tend to note the behavior in the prefix (thus
> enable/add) but that if it is more general we done (thus log_) .
>
> I don't care either way but it seemed something to note before the
> decision was made.

I thought about that, but is seems all our booleans could logically fall
into the category of being enabled/disabled.  For add_missing_from, the
add word is so people realize that it is really _adding_ to the FROM
list, so I see it as different.

Anyway, change committed.  I can always change it back if people change
their mind.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:

> > Greg Stark wrote:
> > >
> > > show_parser_stats true
> > > enable_hashjoin   true
> > >
> > > Nouns sound stranger and more awkward:
> > >
> > > geqo true
> > > parser_stats true
> > > hashjoin true
> >
> > Interesting analysis.  No verb in there.
>
> Note that the verb isn't always the same and what verb is chosen helps someone
> understand what the server will do.
>
> show_parser_stats is going to "show" something.
> add_missing_from  is going to "add" something.
>
> So what will standards_compliant_strings make the server *do*?
>
> It's going to ignore backslash escapes. Perhaps the option should be something
> like "interpret_nonstandard_string_escapes" or something like that.
>
> I actually don't really like "interpret" but I can't think of anything else at
> the moment.

Ah, Peter renamed it to:
standard_conforming_strings

so what is does is "conform"?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Greg Stark
Дата:

--
greg

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:

> > I thought about that, but is seems all our booleans could logically fall
> > into the category of being enabled/disabled.  For add_missing_from, the
> > add word is so people realize that it is really _adding_ to the FROM
> > list, so I see it as different.
> >
> > Anyway, change committed.  I can always change it back if people change
> > their mind.
>
> I suggest that the rule you've been (unconsciously) following is the
> following: parameters that form a verb phrase do not need an enable_ prefix.
> But parameters that form a noun phrase do or else they sound strange.
>
> Put another way, "all boolean parameters are verb phrases; if they're not then
> turn them into a verb phrase by prepending a verb like `enable'"
>
> I see a couple exceptions (debug_assertions, geqo) but mostly they seem to
> follow this pattern.
>
> I'm not sure that's a bad rule. Verbs sound nice when you read them:
>
> show_parser_stats true
> enable_hashjoin   true
>
> Nouns sound stranger and more awkward:
>
> geqo true
> parser_stats true
> hashjoin true

Interesting analysis.  No verb in there.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

От
Greg Stark
Дата: