Обсуждение: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Take a look through it, will announce this evening ...

----

Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Take a look through it, will announce this evening ...

Could you please include RPMs in your announcement? They *will* be here:

http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/rpms/8.1/rc1

Regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
Kivi Bilişim Teknolojileri - http://www.kivi.com.tr

Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Take a look through it, will announce this evening ...
>
> Could you please include RPMs in your announcement? They
> *will* be here:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/rpms/8.1/rc1

The developer.postgresql.org machine really isn't geared to handle
downloads.. Any reason you can't just stick it on the standard ftp sites
and have it mirrored along with everything else?

//Magnus

Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/rpms/8.1/rc1
>
> The developer.postgresql.org machine really isn't geared to handle
> downloads.. Any reason you can't just stick it on the standard ftp sites
> and have it mirrored along with everything else?

This is taken from our spec:
# Pre-release RPM's should not be put up on the public ftp.postgresql.org server
# -- only test releases or full releases should be.

So thinking that:

* Beta and RC RPMs are used only by testers
* We use the beta and RC steps to build the new RPM sets, so that means
that actually they are not production quality looking from the RPM
perspective.

That's why I put them to developer site.

Another reason was that gunduz.org was unavailable for 2 months (and
putting the PGDG RPMs to my site does not sound good).

Regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
Kivi Bilişim Teknolojileri - http://www.kivi.com.tr
devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr                      http://www.gunduz.org

Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> >> http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/rpms/8.1/rc1
> >
> > The developer.postgresql.org machine really isn't geared to handle
> > downloads.. Any reason you can't just stick it on the standard ftp
> > sites and have it mirrored along with everything else?
>
> This is taken from our spec:
> # Pre-release RPM's should not be put up on the public
> ftp.postgresql.org server # -- only test releases or full
> releases should be.
>
> So thinking that:
>
> * Beta and RC RPMs are used only by testers
> * We use the beta and RC steps to build the new RPM sets, so
> that means that actually they are not production quality
> looking from the RPM perspective.
>
> That's why I put them to developer site.
>
> Another reason was that gunduz.org was unavailable for 2
> months (and putting the PGDG RPMs to my site does not sound good).

I agree with that part about gunduz.org. But I think it'd be better to
just have a separate subdirectory for beta/rc:s on the ftp site. There
is already a http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.1beta/ which has
the win32 beta/rc files, so I suggest adding required dirs and put the
RPMs there.

//Magnus

Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...

От
"Lamar Owen"
Дата:
>> The developer.postgresql.org machine really isn't geared to handle
>> downloads.. Any reason you can't just stick it on the standard ftp sites
>> and have it mirrored along with everything else?

> This is taken from our spec:
> # Pre-release RPM's should not be put up on the public ftp.postgresql.org
> server
> # -- only test releases or full releases should be.

> So thinking that:

> * Beta and RC RPMs are used only by testers
> * We use the beta and RC steps to build the new RPM sets, so that means
> that actually they are not production quality looking from the RPM
> perspective.

By way of clarification, as I am the one who wrote that portion of the
spec file, an 'RPM prerelease' and a 'beta' weren't intended to be the
same thing; the line in the spec referenced was for my own use to remind
me that my own internal testing packages (with a release number 0.x)
weren't intended for public consumption.  Devrim, you can remove that
section of the spec file at any time at this point, because you are using
CVS for the purpose that I was using 'prerelease' RPMs.

Historically, beta and release candidate RPM's were put on the main ftp
site but flagged as beta quality.  I certainly appreciate your dilligence
in following those instructions I wrote long ago, but, thanks to your
smoother release process (in no small part due to the use of CVS) those
instructions are obsolete.  Many thanks for being that dilligent!
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Bundled ...