Обсуждение: 8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
Just the one fail on OSX 10.3.9
    opr_sanity           ... FAILED

Is this a known problem, or something specific to my machine... I can post
regression.diffs (quite long) if required ...

Thanks

Adam

believed to be clean.

Re: 8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Adam Witney wrote:

> Just the one fail on OSX 10.3.9
>
>      opr_sanity           ... FAILED
>
> Is this a known problem, or something specific to my machine... I can post
> regression.diffs (quite long) if required ...

Uh, regression.diffs is large?  MY guess is your backend crashed, for
some unknown reason, so all the queries after the crash just failed.  I
can't think of another reason for that diff file to be large.  Is the
failure repoducable?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
On 31/10/05 1:32 pm, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Adam Witney wrote:
>>
>> Just the one fail on OSX 10.3.9
>>
>>      opr_sanity           ... FAILED
>>
>> Is this a known problem, or something specific to my machine... I can post
>> regression.diffs (quite long) if required ...
>
> Uh, regression.diffs is large?  MY guess is your backend crashed, for
> some unknown reason, so all the queries after the crash just failed.  I
> can't think of another reason for that diff file to be large.  Is the
> failure repoducable?

Seems a bit random actually... Here are the results of 3 successive "make
check"'s, the fourth passed all tests!

http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression1.diffs
http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression2.diffs
http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression3.diffs

believed to be clean.

Re: 8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Adam Witney wrote:
> On 31/10/05 1:32 pm, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Adam Witney wrote:
> >>
> >> Just the one fail on OSX 10.3.9
> >>
> >>      opr_sanity           ... FAILED
> >>
> >> Is this a known problem, or something specific to my machine... I can post
> >> regression.diffs (quite long) if required ...
> >
> > Uh, regression.diffs is large?  MY guess is your backend crashed, for
> > some unknown reason, so all the queries after the crash just failed.  I
> > can't think of another reason for that diff file to be large.  Is the
> > failure repoducable?
>
> Seems a bit random actually... Here are the results of 3 successive "make
> check"'s, the fourth passed all tests!
>
> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression1.diffs
> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression2.diffs
> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression3.diffs

Yea, that helps.  The errors you have are really these:
! psql: could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily unavailable

and! psql: could not send startup packet: Broken pipe

Is anything else big running on your machine?

I looked at the OSX configuration section here:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/kernel-resources.html

but didn't see anything significant.  My guess is that the parallel
nature of the regression tests are exhausting some system resource on
your machine.  Does the kernel log have anything of interest?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
On 31/10/05 2:13 pm, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Adam Witney wrote:

>>> Uh, regression.diffs is large?  MY guess is your backend crashed, for
>>> some unknown reason, so all the queries after the crash just failed.  I
>>> can't think of another reason for that diff file to be large.  Is the
>>> failure repoducable?
>>
>> Seems a bit random actually... Here are the results of 3 successive "make
>> check"'s, the fourth passed all tests!
>>
>> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression1.diffs
>> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression2.diffs
>> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression3.diffs
>
> Yea, that helps.  The errors you have are really these:
>
> ! psql: could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
>
> and
> ! psql: could not send startup packet: Broken pipe
>
> Is anything else big running on your machine?
>
> I looked at the OSX configuration section here:
>
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/kernel-resources.html
>
> but didn't see anything significant.  My guess is that the parallel
> nature of the regression tests are exhausting some system resource on
> your machine.  Does the kernel log have anything of interest?

Ah that probably explains it... It is my laptop and I have quite a few
things running... So should probably run the make check when I first start
it up maybe.

Thanks for the help

Adam

believed to be clean.

Re: 8.1RC1 fails opr_sanity on osx

Дата:
Adam Witney <awitney@sgul.ac.uk> writes:
> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression1.diffs
> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression2.diffs
> http://bugs.sgul.ac.uk/downloads/temp/regression3.diffs

If you'd looked, you would have noticed that they're all variations on
psql: could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily unavailable

In other words, you've got a system resource limit problem.  See
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.html#AEN17862
        regards, tom lane